Simrad/Robertson APX 3000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
So I have a Simrad Robinson AP3000X autopilot that I got with my boat last year, it is not working. I thought the issue might be with the control head so I sent it out for repair and got it back and it still didn’t work. I sent the control head back to the firm and he bench tested it and said everything was fine with the unit. Today I reinstalled and as I was installing it the unit powered up I could here the rudder moving as I played with the turn buttons. The display showed the rudder indicator and compass heading. I then tried to turn the unit off and it would not respond. I then shut the battery power off to the unit and it shut off. I put the battery power back on and I get no response from the on off button. I don’t think that it’s the control head I’m thinking it might be the computer? Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas.

You've kinda defined 'not working,' but can you be more specific? Do you have an owner's manual and/or the install manual? One of those manuals should include the procedure(s) for install and setup, including sections for 'Dockside' and 'Seatrial.' If that has never been done properly since the computer/interface unit was serviced and possibly reset to factory settings, the system will 'not work.'

Let us know additional details when you can.

Greg.

I mean it does not power up when the on/off button is pushed.

When my J300X was failing, sometimes it powered up, sometimes it didn't. When I decided I needed more reliable operation, I bought a used one from a second-hand electronics source. The used one has been working well for 3 years, but I know it won't last forever.

There is very little the end user can do to determine what is wrong with the Simrad AP system if it doesn't power up beyond checking that the junction box is getting power at the terminals. I can't think of anything else, but I'm not a professional.

Greg.

The junction box/computer. I have 2 corded remotes rather than a fixed control head, and they both have worked well.

Greg.

My Simrad AP35 you have to hold pwr button a few seconds for it to wake up or shut down.

Try holding the button.

The junction box/computer. I have 2 corded remotes rather than a fixed control head, and they both have worked well.

Greg.

Ok that is good to know I suspect my computer junction box is bad. They seem to be readily available for under $200 used. Will look into the corded remotes as well. Did you have to swap any computer chips from the old junction box?

What computer do you have? I have one sitting here that I can send to you for shipping only to make sure that is the issue.

What computer do you have? I have one sitting here that I can send to you for shipping only to make sure that is the issue.

That would be awesome. It’s a J3000X junction unit. Part number 22081822

I think there is a fuse around where all the leads terminate on the box. Worth double checking that.

Here's one on Ebay (that accepts returns ) eBay item number:274124689592

That would be awesome. It’s a J3000X junction unit. Part number 22081822

Here is what I have, doesn't look like it is compatible?

Attachments

• apcomp.jpg
    apcomp.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 19
I dont know if it would be compatible with mine unit. Let me do some research.

So I supplied 12v power to Control Head and the display powered up. Gray and pink wires coming from the j3000x junction have no power. I do have power at the junction box and a good fuse it has to be something within that junction box.

Disconnect from the control & briefly touch the green & yellow wires together to turn on/turn off the system. Touching together those 2 wires perform the same function as the on/off (standby/auto) button. If the system operates correctly then the control is probably the culprit. If it's still acting up, the j-box is failing. There is a test function in the setup menu that shows the internal power supply status of the junction box. Sometimes the power supply will fail but the Robertson/Simrad J-boxes are pretty robust. From my experiences, it's normally the control that fails.

Back
Top Bottom