Show us your marine wristwatch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bligh

Guru
Vessel Name
Concerto
Vessel Make
1980 Cheoy Lee
Technically , my watch is mechanical. But traditionally a wristwatch has been an important navigational device. For the last 20 years I wore a Rolex Submariner almost 24/7. Its been rugged and reliable (with regular service.) But recently I found there were other options for a good rugged dive watch. Today I am sporting an Oris Great Barrier Reef.
What is your favorite watch or your favorite boating watch? Image.jpeg

I like the unique shade of blue of your Oris. I've been a big fan of dive watches all my life. The face of my Pulsar is a solar panel. A most unusual electric watch.

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Apple Watch. I have an Omega Seamaster but don’t wear it often. It doesn’t do anything!

Attachments

• 7186FA10-A675-4C25-A0F0-20FEA1056E7B.jpg
    7186FA10-A675-4C25-A0F0-20FEA1056E7B.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I have a voice activated watch that automatically follows me wherever I go.
"Honey?! What time is it?"

Whenever wearing a wristwatch, it most likely is an inexpensive Timex, or even a $10 purchase on a cruise ship always forgetting to bring a watch.

Last edited:
Whenever wearing a wristwatch, it most likely is an inexpensive Timex

Because of owning tablets, dedicated tablet for the boat, smartphone, and home - large computer - I find I just want a watch I can glance at quickly for the time. I go out of my way to make sure it doesn't have any options except one. No fancy dials, no barometer, no date, just a Timex with very number large and showing and Indiglo. I can press the thingy and the watch will glow in the dark to show me the time, why I like large numbers because in the dark when I am tired, I don't want to have to figure out what number the hour and minute hand is on.

I find the most expensive watches don't light up in the dark as well as the Indiglo function. I like the analog face of the Timex because I can just glance and go.

And in the past, I did own all kinds of expensive watches with all kind of functions, but no more, my smartphone can do all that.

I have a pocket watch - it's always with me; except when swimming - cause no need for a watch then!

Some call it my computer... some say it's my weather station.

I use the term I-Phone!!

Back in 1993 I was laid off from a corporate job and that day I threw away my watch and decided to never again have a job that required me wearing a watch. So I started my own business and did that up until my retirement in 2013 when I sold the business. Still no watch but I do have an iPhone that has the time on it if I find a need to know what time it is.

Adjustments.jpg
This basic field watch has been with me since before I started boating. And will probably outlast me. And just like the new Apple watches, it is always on. The battery lasts a lot longer too.

Last edited:
Haven't wore a watch in 30 years
Lost all concept of time about 10 years ago
Honestly couldn't tell you what day of the week it was or even month unless I look at a phone or tablet.

I do have a draw with several divers watches and a couple of good fake Rolex in it.

My eyes are not good enough to read those without glasses , but ghat is one cool tide graph even if it is of Vallejo.
Apple Watch. I have an Omega Seamaster but don’t wear it often. It doesn’t do anything!

I find I just want a watch I can glance at quickly for the time. I go out of my way to make sure it doesn't have any options except one. No fancy dials, no barometer, no date, just a Timex with very number large and showing and Indiglo.

Same as rsn48 and basically the same reasons. Timex, Indiglo, waterproof, and hands -- with a second hand. That's it.

Casio with a tide indicator. 2nd one, previous one was solar powered, this one is battery.Ugly as, but works fine. Not shelling out for an Omega I could damage.

I always have worn a wrist watch, old school not changing. My present watch a Seiko Sport dive watch self wind replaced a Rolex GMT Master. The stainless steel custom made watch band 1970 US Navy base Subic Bay, Philippines, $12.50 looks like it will outlast me.

Attachments

• 65607F4A-A8FB-4391-B018-4205B5B4A326.jpg
    65607F4A-A8FB-4391-B018-4205B5B4A326.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 54
Keeps great time, I regularly swim and snorkel in salt water with it and generally abuse it. Replace with a different look every 10 years or so,so have a collection. The indiglo on demand is a great feature. Around 30 bucks a pop.

mB1kz-vEmc81MJdC14mGlviUybdtScsH4etkKatoagQrFa552NX_DAUcO4VOap-vWwtIf_p2mr_z5bN7u0mMCJ-K50NT9qjSQZAcfq7XbPGNHAXq2IxtNpUnwgxUZE13sqfh8YgHv8Mtxw7Cm3Z3F3AlnTFTLvXLKBGWiDETjezFnfmVuta1HkxpI2CSuS-0Cb_KFJz03O1iFJLdfk0sBbh43B67-jt0fRu9GE3_am5FO23-kWNPWe8j-KzN3Vwd50ivzLIB4z9qj5oNdUgVlL_I2MLjuIh06n3fupsuHXOpjT5qWAQjRpJPQdBz9CskLpat501oP8MsOtTLUT4lE_OR-PKfJRqOsVQEF_qrg1vjSaEFJHCVpqlUcITH58sIVQx-TxZza7CrhdPr8y6ZvuIUTI93fmLhP2UxCmTXhVtOrxljICis035dmOCU7JFGxwDYBi62zZvixsFwY5TAxFBhKGzsZSZ4rtSdP35LVsio7H_rhlpF8S00-HbwN6IyMabm74FgL3ZLjR8OHFU2Tf836DUKxhUU0WOJfC3ufWt7xlvtpyrxgDRDVYXcLySZCCRr3UoaGhTGW8pavoricnra_2BZtLAhLtcc3u7GeggTip4e5Pv4HqPMV0rGNvp1fmQowENB2omBNyXNiUzj1-CHKkcW2ymQiH2zjBOl0SaT3ktySzDgiot4sLkm=w843-h872-no

Seiko Auto 5 classic auto wind.

Attachments

• 29A3701A-47CD-4049-8EF2-5DB3A713BC0B.jpg
    29A3701A-47CD-4049-8EF2-5DB3A713BC0B.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 58
View attachment 107749
This basic field watch has been with me since before I started boating. And will probably outlast me. And just like the new Apple watches, it is always on. The battery lasts a lot longer too.

Wore that watch for many years in banking. But the band broke about the time smartphones came out, and I never replaced the band.

Love my King Tide watch from a company called Hook & Gaff. Once you set it for your nearest tide station, the red hand tells you at a glance whether you’re on a rising or falling tide and roughly how many hours past high or low.
If you’re cruising somewhere you can set the tide function for your destination. I like that it doesn’t eat through batteries like some of the more complex watches with GPS.

3F954E25-8F32-4D34-8684-A11F6EECD026.jpeg

Reactions: Art
Whenever wearing a wristwatch, it most likely is an inexpensive Timex...just a Timex with very number large and showing and Indiglo... I like the analog face of the Timex because I can just glance and go...

Same as rsn48 and basically the same reasons. Timex, Indiglo, waterproof, and hands -- with a second hand. That's it.

:thumb: What they both said for the same reasons. I were it 24/7s ad even when snorkeling.

Attachments

• 9F4479EC-1F87-4772-AC0B-D699B4EF31D0.jpg
    9F4479EC-1F87-4772-AC0B-D699B4EF31D0.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 55
My eyes are not good enough to read those without glasses , but ghat is one cool tide graph even if it is of Vallejo.

I had a Timex "Fishing Time" watch. It had the graph for times when game and fish are supposedly active. It took moon phase and time of day into the calculation as well. When everything was lined up, an alarm would go off and a sailfish animation would jump several times. Very entertaining. I salt water fished and it looked cool but didn't help catch fish. LOL.

Back in 1993 I was laid off from a corporate job and that day I threw away my watch and decided to never again have a job that required me wearing a watch. So I started my own business and did that up until my retirement in 2013 when I sold the business. Still no watch but I do have an iPhone that has the time on it if I find a need to know what time it is.

I agree 100%

I stopped wearing watches in 1992 after my first retirement.

My phone is my timepiece.

No more unsightly tan lines on my wrist.

I won a wind-up Rolex as a seamanship award when I graduated, and about nine years later, as I came up from under a landing craft after cutting a line entangled in one of its props, I noticed it half full of seawater - gonzo. Naval officers back then as a rule were too poor to buy expensive watches. With the advent of the quartz movement, far more accurate watches were cheaply available. As a navigator, I had to have a stopwatch function, and I used it for many other events too. I recent years I became aware that Timex actually has many with styles and functions not available at Wally World - imagine that. :) I order mine online direct. This one was about 150 bucks. For awhile, about every three years, I banged my watch into submission and sent it in to Timex repair which just sent me a new one for 28 bucks a shot. Think I got my money's worth doing that about four times. This one has exactly what I need.

Attachments

• DSC03086.jpg
    DSC03086.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 50

Attachments

• 20200913_124545_copy_1612x907.jpg
    20200913_124545_copy_1612x907.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 57
I have a few nice brand new wrist watches... still in their orig gift package. As I've not worn watches for years... those I got as gifts sit in a sealed plastic box. Eventual inheritors may get some bucks for pristine originals?? Good on them!

Back in the day: 1970's, 80's, 90's I carried pocket watches. Reason - I'd become addicted to looking at my wrist too often during my hours of leading crews of my own construction company. The pocket watch cured me of too often checking on the time!

For years now my phone is my watch. Don't check it often at all... even though the phone is nearly always with me.

Seiko makes several nice automatic mechanical diver watches. I had one for years and it was accurate and rugged, 200m. It was also collectible and sold for a fair dollar after 12 years. Amazon has a nice selection around $350.

Haven't worn a watch for 30 years..... In the aviation business we used to say "the bigger the watch, the smaller......"

Haven't worn a watch for 30 years..... In the aviation business we used to say "the bigger the watch, the smaller......"

Same for salvage divers.

I find it interesting that some find a wrist watch as a symbol of a burden. I wear a wristwatch because I like the way it looks and as a symbol/reminder of how man created devices to accurately track time from a sundial to a compact, sturdy package on the wrist that can be mechanical or electronic. Even the cellphone has a wrist worn iteration.

My multipurpose tool. Does what I need for boating, hiking, biking and working.

IMG_4537.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom