Fuel Selection and Racor Panel for a Lehman and Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

syjos

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Sandpiper
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Here are pictures of the fuel panel I installed on a Bluewater 40 right after purchase in 2000. The original arrangement had a single Fram filter for the engine and a smaller in line filter for the generator. A single valve was inline to select tanks with no return selection. There was no back up filter in case of clogging underway.

With this panel:

Each Racor can draw from either fuel tank, independently.

Each Racor can send fuel to either the engine, generator or electric priming pump.

Return fuel can be sent to either fuel tank from the engine, generator or priming pump.

The priming pump can be used to bleed filters, balance fuel tanks and remove yutz from the fuel tank sump.

The ball valve on the left allows a container to be filled with filtered fuel for topping up the Racors.

If a Racor clogs underway, the other is available for back up while the clogged element is changed without shutting the engine down. (Vacuume gauges on the Racors indicate both elements need replacement.)

This is a less expensive solution than dual Racors for the Lehman and another Racor for the generator.

Attachments

• 20200417_111753 (Medium).jpg
    20200417_111753 (Medium).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200417_111949 (Medium).jpg
    20200417_111949 (Medium).jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200417_112010 (Medium).jpg
    20200417_112010 (Medium).jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Fuel 2.jpg
    Fuel 2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Nice setup. Have you thought about adding the heat shield and getting rid of the plastic drain valve to convert them to marine filters? Also I would add a small LED light behind each bowl so it is easy to see what, if anything is in the bowl.

Nice setup. Have you thought about adding the heat shield and getting rid of the plastic drain valve to convert them to marine filters? Also I would add a small LED light behind each bowl so it is easy to see what, if anything is in the bowl.

Thanks Comodave

I don't see any advantage to adding the heat shields. Without the shields, the bowls contents is visible without additional lighting.

Its very sharp looking.. Personally, I want all my plumbing exposed to alert me of any corrosion or leaks.

Its very sharp looking.. Personally, I want all my plumbing exposed to alert me of any corrosion or leaks.

Thanks,

If you look closely at the first picture, there are hinges on the right side that allow the whole panel to swing out for periodic inspection of the hoses and connections on the back side and to ease repair in case of issues.

Have not experienced any leaks in 20 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom