Trawler wanna-be: What are fuel burn rates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Awsmits

Hi, just starting our search for our next boat, and coastal cruising is our highest priority (not a marina condo!). We have seen numerous motor yachts and trawlers with big V-8 gas engines and various sizes of diesels, and were wondering, what are typical trawler speeds and fuel burn rates?

Would you folks share what boat you have, typical cruise speeds, and fuel use in mpg?

Thanks,
Allan

6 - 8 kts, generally from 2 to 6 gph depending on boat. Anything over 2mpg is considered pretty good!

My 45' boat isn't a true displacement hull. With a 135 HP engine, it burns 2 GPH at 7 knots ( 3.5 nautical miles per gallon). 8 knots moves the fuel burn to between 3.5 and 3.7 GPH, so not worth it, IMO.

Ted

Note that the previous two responses are for diesels but also note that the OP also asked about gassers. A gasser will burn at least 33% more fuel and even more if a big engine is lightly loaded. Gassers do very poorly lightly loaded, burning as much as twice the fuel as a moderately loaded diesel.

David

Hi, just starting our search for our next boat, and coastal cruising is our highest priority (not a marina condo!). We have seen numerous motor yachts and trawlers with big V-8 gas engines and various sizes of diesels, and were wondering, what are typical trawler speeds and fuel burn rates?

Would you folks share what boat you have, typical cruise speeds, and fuel use in mpg?

Our not-a-trawler (see avatar) with twin 450C Cummins diesels... gave us about 7-9 kts at about 1000-1200 RPM at about 4 GPH total at about 1-2 NMPG... depending on actual speeds versus RPMs versus wind, tides, current, etc. Usually closer to about 1.2 NMPG average at those speeds, I'd guess.

Note "about" is all over that.

And of course all that changed -- usually to about 26-ish GPH -- whenever we'd get up on plane.

-Chris

With big gassers like my boat, don't count on good mileage at low speed. As an example, I get between 0.5 - 0.6 nmpg on plane and in the 1 - 1.3 nmpg range at 6.5 kts (depending on wind / waves, etc.). Gassers lose a ton of efficiency at light load, so the fuel burn difference between fast and slow gets a lot smaller. Other than burning a bunch of fuel the gassers have no complaints about being run slowly though.

I ran the numbers for a pair of modern diesels in my boat and by my best estimates, I'd expect about 0.9 nmpg on plane and around 3 nmpg at 6.5 kts. Basically, the gassers burn 40 - 50% more on plane, but more than double what the diesels would at low speed / light load.

That said, if the gassers are cheaper enough to buy and maintain, it could take a long time to make up the cost difference in fuel savings with diesels. I figure for my boat it would take about 3000 hours of running (50/50 fast vs slow) to make up the cost of a diesel repower (and that's not accounting for any change in maintenance costs).

Last edited:
Some credible numbers:

1. Willard 36 from San Diego to Hawaii. 330 gallons for 2300 nms. Around 0.9 gph, or 6.5-7.0 mpg. He had decent sail-plan so that may be optimistic. Perkins 4/236

2. Willard 36 from San Francisco to Ensenda. 500 nms. 6.6 kts and burned around 90-gallons or around 1.2 gph, 5.6 mpg. Also with a Perkins 4.236

3. 52-foot Horizon Power Cat (2014, so newer boat with Cummins' of around 500hp each). From the electronic fuel monitors aboard the Cummins' electronic controls (appears to be about 10% optimistic judging from refill-calculations). At 18-20-kts/65% load, she burns 38-40 gph total for both engines (pretty efficient for a boat this size at this speed). At Trawler Speed, she burns around 12-14 gph at 10-12 kts; drops to 7 gph at 8.5 kts.

Peter

An example of my "real world" experiences with a Nordic Tug 37 (40 feet LOA) using a Cummins 6BTA 330 HP diesel engine. Semi displacement hull, capable of 15+ knots when wide open.

We operate the engine at between 1200-1400 RPM (wide open is 2800) cruising at between 6.5 and 8.0 knots (a good average I have used for calculating travel time to reach rapids etc. is 7 knots SOG). Using fuel refill numbers, tank fuel guages, and sight guages over the past 4 years (and approx. 500 hours), we have used almost exactly 2 gallons per hour. Due to the fact that I run my generator so little (about 25 hours per season) I have not factored that usage out of the above figures, so I would actually be a bit less than 2 gph for the engine (1.9-1.95 gph?).

My experience in a 37 Nordic Tug is just like firehoser's, averaging 3.75 nmpg over about 16,000 nm.

Diesel advantage to me is not just cost, but also range. We easily go from Puget Sound to Ketchikan, some 700 nm, without refueling.

My 64' 100,000 pound boat with twin 660hp Cummins engines averages a little better than 1 nautical mile per gallon (and that is with the genset running). I rarely use most of that horsepower, instead cruising between 8.5 and 10 knots. At 10 knots, I am a little less than 1 nmpg, and 8.5 in good conditions I am a little better than 1.33 nmpg, both of which are better economy than my buddy's 38' with twin 540 hp Cummins, primarily because at that speed his hull is comming on plane -- very inefficient.

My 64' 100,000 pound boat with twin 660hp Cummins engines averages a little better than 1 nautical mile per gallon (and that is with the genset running). I rarely use most of that horsepower, instead cruising between 8.5 and 10 knots. At 10 knots, I am a little less than 1 nmpg, and 8.5 in good conditions I am a little better than 1.33 nmpg, both of which are better economy than my buddy's 38' with twin 540 hp Cummins, primarily because at that speed his hull is comming on plane -- very inefficient.

That's a very good point. Longer boats will go faster before efficiency falls off a cliff. Generally the cliff starts around a knot below hull speed. For my boat (38', 33.5' waterline), hull speed is 7.75 kts. Somewhere around 6.5 - 6.7 is the start of the efficiency cliff. By 7 kts, I'm already making significantly more wake and taking a good bit more power / fuel to push the boat. Slowing down to 6 kts is even better, but the difference from 6 to 6.5 is a lot smaller than 6.5 to 7. So I basically treat 6.5 kts as slow cruise (with the ability to push for 7 if needed). And if I need faster than that, it's time to get on plane and do 16+.

Our CHB 41 trawler with twin Lehman 120s did about 2nmpg at 8kts over about 200 nautical miles this summer so far - about what I expected from researching before I bought.

My American Tug 34 with a Cummins QSB 380hp.... 1000rpm equals about 6.5knt .... 1gph..... / 1200rpm about 7.4knts ... 1.4gph ..../ 1400rpm about 8knts --- 2.1gph. It is my opinion, the cliff is 1200rpm.

Of course this is under ideal conditions.

Two more long distance runs where I was pretty confident of fuel burn.

2000 Willard 40 with JD4045T. Long Beach CA to La Paz, around 1000 nms. 7.2 kt average and under 1.5gph.

N57 from Dana Point to Ft Lauderdale. 4500 nms in 500 engine hours (9 kts) and burned 3000 gallons diesel for the trip (6 gph). I forget the engine model. Either a Lugger or JD straight 6 with about 325hp.

Peter

Our 60ft 65 tonne (143,000 lb) trawler with a single 350 HP 855 Cummins consistently gets close enough to 2 litres/nm @ 1150rpm doing 7.5 knots so 15 litres/hour (3.5 gallons)

0.75gph
7.2 nautical miles per hour
9 nautical miles per gallon

Benford 38 Fantail (avatar), displacement hull
55hp Mitsubishi

38' with single Cummins 6cta 450hp. 7.7kt at 950rpm, 1.8gph. Right about 4nmpg.

Can also do 20kts at 1950rpm, 11gph. About 1.8nmpg.

I chose either of those two speeds. Depending on whether we are enjoying the ride or trying to get somewhere.

36 Foot Albin, cruising speed 7 knots, about 4 mpg.

More important than fuel economy though is engine life. My Ford Lehman should run a minimum of 10,000 hours, maybe 15,000 before it needs anything.

A gasser is "tired" at 1,000 hours, ready for a rebuild at 1,500 and almost always junk by 2,000 hours.

pete

You're confusing recreational trawlers with boats that can readily exceed hull speed. Most so-called but mislabeled trawlers are motorboats that have overnight accommodations. Most all such motorboats have several times the horsepower of a trawler.

A gasser is "tired" at 1,000 hours, ready for a rebuild at 1,500 and almost always junk by 2,000 hours.

Only if it's run very hard, or neglected. One of mine is darn close to 1600 hours and checks out very healthy. Compression is good, runs every bit as well as the other one that's newer (was killed due to external factors, not worn out). Hardly uses any oil and oil pressure at hot idle is still several times the minimum spec, so I'd say it's got lots more life left in it.

Bluewater 40, 39' X 13', 40,000#, full displacement, single Lehman 120

8 knots @ 1720 rpm, 1.9 gph, 4 nmpg, 2400 mi range, 600 gallons diesel

Hi Jeff,
I have not heard anyone use imperial gallons when talking about boat fuel consumption. I have only heard litres per hour or US gallons per hour.
I am Canadian.

to rslifkin, Hmmm. Story of two gassers, one has already been replaced at less than 1,600 hours, The other still runs great and specs out well at 1,600.

I don't doubt the claim one little bit. Prove me wrong when the remaining gasser hits 2,000 hours and you feel confident to take it eight miles out with your family on board.

pete

38' with single Cummins 6cta 450hp. 7.7kt at 950rpm, 1.8gph. Right about 4nmpg.

Can also do 20kts at 1950rpm, 11gph. About 1.8nmpg.

I chose either of those two speeds. Depending on whether we are enjoying the ride or trying to get somewhere.

I am wondering how you get 7.7 kt at near-idle rpms? What’s your trick?? My 42 Nordic has the same single engine. 950 rpm is not much above idle, and with a clean bottom, etc, gets about 5-6 kts at those rpms. Is it the weight of my boat (about 38,000 lb fully loaded...)?

You're confusing recreational trawlers with boats that can readily exceed hull speed. Most so-called but mislabeled trawlers are motorboats that have overnight accommodations. Most all such motorboats have several times the horsepower of a trawler.

This is very true. As such they are not designed for slow speed efficiency. Unfortunately, some aren't built properly for high speed efficiency, either!

Before NWD we owned Great Escape, a 1977 Reinell B-307, designed as Reinell's largest planing flybridge cruiser. She was 30 ft with an 11 ft beam. Ours was (WAY UNDER-) powered with OMC 307 engines, at 230 HP each. The boat allegedly weighed about 12,000 lbs dry. Many other examples of that boat were powered by at least 350 CU engines if not big blocks.

Completely empty with a freshly rebuilt port engine, my son and I got it up to 22 knots one day. Loaded with fuel, water, equipment and supplies for a family of 5 I could only ever get it to plow water at 16-17 knots with both engines at WOT. We could "semi plane" at 11-12 knots but we were into the secondaries of the carburetors, and fuel economy was extremely poor. (<.5 nm/gal) We reviewed our props and performance with The Prop Shop and really could not see a way to eek anything more; they agreed the boat was underpowered for what we were doing with it. (family of 5 and all living supplies, 10 ft Livingston dinghy, etc on board.)

Therefor we operated it as a trawler almost all the time, finding that as long as we stayed under 8 kts we hovered around 1 nm/gal for fuel economy. 6 or 6.5 knots was a little better than 1 nm/gal, 8 knots a little less than 1. I usually aimed for an engine rpm that would get us 6.5 to 7 kts in current free water. This translated into around 6 gph of fuel burn. Fuel costs were high enough that it made sense to move the boat to a more expensive marina 10 miles closer to our cruising grounds because the annual fuel cost saved cutting out that 10 miles was more than the increased moorage!

NWD, built to stay at trawler/displacement speeds, has 1/2 the total HP and 3 times the fuel economy of Great Escape, despite outweighing her by nearly 20,000 lbs. We are typically seeing 3 nm/gal going the exact same speeds as the gas boat we had.

While we may have been able to get more reasonable planing cruise with more powerful engines in Great Escape, I don't know that we would have seen anything better than 1 nm/gal in that boat. It was built when they believed more glass was better. But I don't think you could ever expect much better economy in a twin v-8 gas boat operating at trawler speeds - I basically had the smallest displacement V-8's you can come across.

3 litres/hr (.79 US gal/hr)
6 knots
7.6 nautical miles/US gallon
42 hp Vetus (Mitsubishi)

I am wondering how you get 7.7 kt at near-idle rpms? What’s your trick?? My 42 Nordic has the same single engine. 950 rpm is not much above idle, and with a clean bottom, etc, gets about 5-6 kts at those rpms. Is it the weight of my boat (about 38,000 lb fully loaded...)?

The boat was built for planing speed. Rather light (truck scale 12500lb tanks empty, boat empty), probably 14000lb in typical cruising dress. Also relatively narrow at 12' beam. Cold molded construction. Modified vee hull shape.

In the build I figured I needed 200-250hp for a 20kt cruise and was thinking a 330-370hp 6BTA would do. But I found a smokin' deal on a used 6CTA. And I like that engine better (lower rpm, wet liners). But it did add 500lb.

The gear is 1.514:1 and the prop is 24x24, so at 950 the prop is spinning pretty fast. At dead idle of 500rpm, slowest it will go is 4.3(??) kts.

And at 2700, it is right about 29kts.

An upside is that with the bigger engine, the C series at 20kts is running right about the same spot hp/rpm wise the that continuous duty version is rated for. So should get good life out of it. About 4000hrs now. I doubt the B series would hold up as well.

Built for speed, but mostly run at 7.7 because I am cheap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom