Recommendations for an Oil Analysis Provider Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leatherneck

Vessel Name
Devil Dog
Vessel Make
1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
I'm looking for a good oil analysis provider for my Cummins 6BT5.9 engines, Westerbeke generator and TwinDisc gears. Hoping to find one that will maintain records and look for trends as subsequent samples are provided - probably yearly. Also it would be useful if they provide reference values for typical readings. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've looked online at several and Blackstone is of some interest. Thanks in advance.

Blackstone

Blackstone charges extra for TBN (Total Base Number). TBN, the measure of the oil's remaining ability to neutralize acids produced through the combustion process, is very important in any diesel oil analysis. In fact, without it, the analysis cannot be relied upon to determine whether the oil is still viable. Consider Oil Analyzers, Inc. or Wix, both of which include a TBN analysis. By the way, if the TBN tests sufficiently high, changing the oil before winter layup is unnecessary.

Blackstone with each oil change.

Ted

I've used J G Lubrication Services for boat and motor home testing and like them. The owner is an active contributor on iRV2.com forum and is available to answer questions. They also have a few levels of testing and the advanced which includes TBN / TAN is a few $ more.
https://jglubricantservices.com/oil-analysis-lab.html

I use Blackstone Labs and have for a long time. Excellent analysis and you can talk to real humans about the analysis..

One of my most alarming interactions was when auto manufacturers started telling us that ATF was a "Lifetime" fluid. My old Toyota (2002) had a dip-stick and I did an ATF drain/fill (about 4 quarts) every second oil change. It cost me about $16.00 every second oil change and about 10 extra minutes. Samples always came back perfect and that transmission lasted 464K before rust finally won the battle.

With the latest truck, that has no dip-stick, I tried to get Toyota to define "Lifetime", and they would not define this in writing. The owners manual states that when "towing" or for "harsh conditions" a 60K ATF change interval, all other use "Lifetime"..

Long and short, I do tow and did an ATF fluid change at 39K and the fluid, according to Blackstone, was already on its way out, not dead, but soon to be. For my use a 60K interval was advised against by Blackstone.

Blackstone recommended a 45K ATF fluid change (not just drain/fill (4 quarts) but a complete fluid change 12 + quarts) based on my actual use. Truck now has 250K and the fluid looks as good as new and tests perfectly every time I send a sample. I plan to drive it till rust kills it, so that will likely be close to 500K+.... "Lifetime" my arse....;)

Last edited:
My guess is that the lifetime of the oil is just a little less than the lifetime of the transmission. ;)

Most use Blackstone without TBN analysis if we are changing the oil at the time of sampling anyway. Tip - fill out the analysis requests ahead of time and be sure to mark each sample carefully -easy to mix up samples - 2 mains, gen set, 2 transmissions, etc.

Blackstone gives a decent analysis and will answer any questions that arise.

Makes sense to not pay for TBN numbers if one is changing the oil anyway. But why change the oil if it is still good to use according to your oil analysis? I don't know the answer but how does Blackstone's fee compare to others that provide TBN inclusive? Yes, most use Blackstone because their analyses are better than others? How do we know that? Just wondering. Oh, common knowledge says.
Most use Blackstone without TBN analysis if we are changing the oil at the time of sampling anyway. Tip - fill out the analysis requests ahead of time and be sure to mark each sample carefully -easy to mix up samples - 2 mains, gen set, 2 transmissions, etc.

Blackstone gives a decent analysis and will answer any questions that arise.

Blackstone charges $10 extra for TBN number. This is what Blackstone has to say about TBN.

"The oil’s function is to lubricate, clean, and cool the engine. Additives are added to the oil to enhance those functions. The*TBN will start out*reading in the 6.0 to 14.0 range (depending on the oil and whether it’s meant for gas or diesel engines). When you first start using the oil, the TBN*tends to drop sharply. Then it levels out and*drops more slowly*after that. The lower the TBN reading, the less active additive the oil has left. A low TBN*test result, meaning very little additive is left, is down around 1.0 or lower. *

The TBN is not the only factor to consider when determining how long an oil can be used. If wear accumulations and insolubles in the oil build up and become abrasive, we would*recommend changing out the oil, no matter how high the TBN reading."

Yes, the wear accumulations and insolubles, that would include soot levels. The analysis will tell you when those are high enough that the oil should be changed. If they are not and TBN is above 1.0, changing the oil is a waste. I just tested my oil at 175 hours. TBN started at 12.0. presently at 7.5. I'll test again at 350 hours. Oil filter changed at testing interval.

When fuel stateside went to low sulfur, acid formation and soot formation went way down in the lube oil. TBN and insolubles (soot) numbers in marine engines are rarely a concern, especially in trawlers that run their engines at light load.

TBN and soot numbers get important if you are trying to maximize the oil change interval, which few of us are trying to do.

A different perspective:
In my overall annual operating cost of the trawler, oil changes and analysis are well below 1%. It's easier, IMO, to do fluid changes based on an hour meter or calendar for things like antifreeze. The only purpose for me to do an oil analysis is to check for wear metals and elevated substances like sodium or glycol. The cost of the oil analysis with TBN is 70% of my oil and filter change. I'd rather pay 50% more and have clean oil and a new filter.

This method has worked well for me with my Dodge pickup with the 6BT Cummins that will be turning 500,000 miles (10,000 hours) next month.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom