Hello Everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darin M

Vessel Name
Resolute
Vessel Make
1990 MT SD 36 Perkins Single
I finaly got my 36 Marine Trader SD. I'm in the process of moving onboard. I still need a new Ocean Breeze AC/Heat to be delivered. It has been so hard to get rid of the last personal stuff.

I'm Darin

I finaly got my 36 Marine Trader SD. I'm in the process of moving onboard. I still need a new Ocean Breeze AC/Heat to be delivered. It has been so hard to get rid of the last personal stuff.

I'm Darin

Welcome aboard.

Here's a Jamesons. Do you want ice?

Did you get rid of it all, or rent a lock up?

Welcome aboard.
We thought we had things reduced to just what we needed for the boat, but no. Some still in storage. :-(
Happy cruising.
John

A newby here ... confused about where I go on the site to send a new message to the general audience?? Help.

1973 Hatteras 38' Double Cabin

May need to install an AC (cool only) in this boat. Anyone have any guidance about where the compressor goes, and any other tips and tricks, such a ducting, etc. Will 12,000 BTU be enough for both cabins and salon?

May need to install an AC (cool only) in this boat. Anyone have any guidance about where the compressor goes, and any other tips and tricks, such a ducting, etc. Will 12,000 BTU be enough for both cabins and salon?

Here is a calculator for you to use: https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-Air-Conditioning-for-Your-Boat

Off the bat, I would say that 12 K will be too little. Think about having two units, maybe smallish, with the capacity to air condition your bunk with either one (creative use of box fans can distribute a lot of air around the boat to get conditioned air to your bed if the primary unit for that area quits). In my 42-foot trawler, which came to me with no AC, I installed two 16 K units. One was a self contained unit I placed under the main cabin settee and cut a hole to send air into the aft cabin and used one of the drawer openings under the settee for return air. A duct was also run a short distance up into the corner of the settee where it also exhausted into the main cabin. The other unit was installed as a split unit with the compressor in the ER and the fan/coil unit in the main cabin under the console across the space from the settee. This second units had its exhaust into the cabin through a vent cut into the top of the console and its intake down on the deck level in the console. The rarely used vee-berth could be cooled using a small fan blowing maun cabin air up there.

Thanks, Rich.
Very helpful. I think you are right that I need a bigger unit or two.

Above 16k Btu, you are pretty much into 220 volts. When I installed my ACs, I ran separate through hulls and separate cooling pumps for the sake of redundancy with pumps running only when their respective compressors were running. Others run one pump and have to a complex switching arrangement or just run the pump continuously when either unit is switch on.

Back
Top Bottom