Old 09-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #12
hollywood8118
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Ault View Post
Dropped anchor in what my depth gauge told me it was 60 ft. Only the second time I've dropped anchor on the trawler that I have owned for a little over two years. No marking on the chain so I really have no idea how much was let out.
Decided to weigh in the anchor and the chain started slipping over the gypsy wheel and ran away. Lost it all. What did I do wrong?

Herb,
First of all welcome to the forum.
You will get some pretty scathing comments from the group here for the anchoring incident.. try to learn from all the comments and don't feel too bad for what happened... ALL OF US HERE have done something along those lines in our years of boating.
The big lesson learned here is about being prepared, knowing how much chain you have, having it secured on the bitter end, having it well marked, using it in shallow water first to practice etc.

60' you must of been out at Catalina?. You may get lucky to retrieve it if you had a really good position where it went over.. but it may be gone by the time you have someone there to get it. My suggestion is to purchase a new anchor setup, mark it all out prior to taking it and installing it aboard and connect it to the boat with 20' of rope that can be cut away in a emergency. Move past it and move forward.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote