Looking for youtube people to follow/learn from

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmcafee

We are in month 2 of our 2 1/2 year plan to live aboard a ~55 footer. Wife and I are obsessed with watching youtube videos of people living aboard trawlers. AM looking for some more ideas of people to follow.

We like
Trying not to sink - they are very open on planned costs and unforeseen expenses
Searching for C-Shels - living the life we are planning (Florida/Bahamas during the winter, up the east coast during summer) and do a good job showing things to explore. Plus, Canadians are just pretty pleasant people
Sailing Good, Bad and Ugly - They are sailing instead of powered but are pretty goofy and enjoyable to watch
Elli-Yacht - Going through sort of the same life change we are

Any others you might recommend?

Check our Mermaid Monster 55’ Nordhavn
And Onboard Lifestyle. Sailing cat

There's a lot to learn from the sailboaters out there doing it "on the cheap", .....and others on the "not so cheap".

Boat problems and how (not) to handle them on the fly is no different between sailboats and trawlers.

I do have to have a bit of production value to keep my ADD at bay.

My current subscription list includes the Wynns, Tula, onboard lifestyle, uma, project Atticus, and soulianis to name a few.

There has not been one episode from ANY of these that I have not learned something, even if small...

9to5less never made it to Florida. Ugly break up.

"Gone with the Wynn's" are a couple I followed when they were motor homing full time. Four years ago they moved onto a sailing cat with no knowledge of how to sail a boat. Four years latter, they are one of the ones to get invited to boat shows. Right now they are "stranded" in Fiji as they flew home to the States to see parents, relatives and friends, and got caught in a border closure, due to the plague, in Fiji.

"Sailing Uma" is a couple, the guy is Canadian. At first I wasn't that thrilled with them, but they definitely have grown on me.

"MV Freedom" is of a couple who have moved fulltime onto their Nordhavn (43 I think) and plan to do some extensive cruising. They just finished a trial run from slightly north of Seattle to Westport Washington and now they are headed back "home."

And one is of a member here who really isn't active with a few posts. He is restoring a Monk. His usual video is fixing something, then drinking "the beer of the week." Occasionally he goes cruising around Desolation Sound and south. His vlog is called "Travels with Geordie."

9to5less never made it to Florida. Ugly break up.

Like somebody on the 9to5less channel commented, the relationship breakup was better than the boat breaking up, and it was a miracle it didn't!
I don't know why that's my favorite boating channel. I guess because it shows that no matter what boat you're in, boating can be fun. Plus ,seeing his boat makes us appreciate ours more! :rolleyes:

All they mentioned above another good one is the Wandering Knapps. I’ve been watching a bunch. Expedition Evans follows A young couple that bought a totaled 40 some foot sailboat and it’s a vlog of their restoration journey.

Check out "What yacht to do".

Also, just for fun try "Cruising the Cut", a liveaboard cruising England's canal system.

There are several channels related to BUS to RV conversions. Folks going on the road and living in a converted bus full time. While not directly "Boat" related, some really good first hand experiences in living in small spaces, off grid etc.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BeginningfromthisMorning/featured and others

I'm currently following more than 25 sailing channels. These ones are some of the best, being mostly liveaboards and full time cruisers. They all show the cruising lifestyle 'warts and all,' and are just as likely to show you a detailed demonstration of how to rebuild a marine head as they are to show you a lovely tropical sunset.

Sailing SV Bora Bora (one of my favorite)
Sailboat Story
Sailing Soulianis
Sailing Nandji
Sailing Ruby Rose
Sailing Millennial Falcon
Sailing Uma
The O'Kellys
Sailing Fair Isle
Tula's Endless Summer
Sailing SV Delos
Sailing Magic Carpet
Odd Life Crafting
Gone With the Wynns
Sailing Project Atticus

Here are a couple of British Narrowboater types that are similar:
Cruising the Cut
Foxes Afloat
Country House Gent

I have toyed with vlogging about locations in my area, partial cruising and part history. The history in this area is fascinating and I just learned that the PNW from Seattle up to the Alaska panhandle was the New York (highest population in North America) for thousands of years. This makes sense since we have the mildest climate, not too hot, not too cold, incredible sea life to feed the First Nations people. And there is one spot in Desolation or beside it that is purported to be the deepest along the West Coast at 2400 feet. Don't forget the rum runners, the Navies of England, Portugal, Spain and Russia sailing in our coastal regions.

And because of the abundance of trees in BC, we were a boat building hot spot. Apparently 10 to 20 % of American homes are built with BC lumber, hence the continual soft wood disputes between the two countries. Also the history of fishing and whaling, over harvesting otters and seals, and you have kaleidoscope of topics for a cruising vlog.

During the Second World War, the Germans apparently came into the channels and fjords of coastal BC to in essences take time off, repair and recuperate their submarines. My mother, in the Canadian Women's Airforce, was deployed to Whitehorse to monitor German submarine communications off of coastal Alaska. Don't know why, but I experienced it working operations in the Canadian Forces in Whitehorse, you can pick up marine radio communications very clearly.

One humourous story. During the war (WW2), there was one cable from North America to Australia, it ran from Port Renfrew BC to where ever in Ozzy land. In Port Renfrew was the infrastructure for maintaining the cable communications including appropriate "Radio Shacks" with all the official dials. Rumour came through to the staff there that there was to be a German raid on the structures and they were planning to cut the cable. So all the dials were swapped out with dials that had nothing to do with nothing. Sure enough the Germans came, smashed all the dials, cut the cable and left. Apparently piecing the cable back together was no big deal. And 24 hours after the Germans left, all the original dials were back in place and the radio shack was again back up and running.

Last edited:
For those interested, we have posted a new YT video. In this video we travel up the rarely visited Bradfield Canal in SE Alaska in October. It's a 12 mile deep fjord with no really good anchorages. It does not disappoint.

We live aboard and cruise full time without any permanent moorage.

This winter in Alaska - next summer we will head to Mexico.

You can find our channel by searching Cruising Sea Venture on YouTube.

For those interested, we have posted a new YT video. In this video we travel up the rarely visited Bradfield Canal in SE Alaska in October. It's a 12 mile deep fjord with no really good anchorages. It does not disappoint.

We live aboard and cruise full time without any permanent moorage.

This winter in Alaska - next summer we will head to Mexico.

You can find our channel by searching Cruising Sea Venture on YouTube.

Absolutely FANTASTIC video. Beautiful scenery, nice pod of humpbacks, great editing and you guys seem like super folks. It’s especially cool for me as the PNW is my youths home waters. This might actually be pacific “north north” west though. :)

You’ve got a new subscriber and thanks so much for not panhandling. To each his own but it’s the most annoying aspect of YouTube sailing/cruising vloggers. The intense monetization of vids is nauseating for me. If I can’t get through 3-5 min without an ad I move on and remove the channel from being recommended.

Cheers and happy cruising. I’ll be following and maybe we’ll meet up some day.

We are in month 2 of our 2 1/2 year plan to live aboard a ~55 footer. Wife and I are obsessed with watching youtube videos of people living aboard trawlers. AM looking for some more ideas of people to follow.

We like
Trying not to sink - they are very open on planned costs and unforeseen expenses
Searching for C-Shels - living the life we are planning (Florida/Bahamas during the winter, up the east coast during summer) and do a good job showing things to explore. Plus, Canadians are just pretty pleasant people
Sailing Good, Bad and Ugly - They are sailing instead of powered but are pretty goofy and enjoyable to watch

I only watch those that don’t pimp patreon, goods or otherwise panhandle for money. I haven’t seen Sailing Zatara mentioned, they don’t ask for money. Interesting family of 6 with kids ranging in age from 8-15’ish when they started. They’ve been cruising for 4+ years, Mediterranean, crossed Atlantic, Caribbean, crossed South Pacific, Australia, NZ, etc. The oldest girl, and great sailor, is off to college leaving 5 on the boat (Cat). I binge watched them over 3-4 days. I think they have 130+ videos. They are currently “stuck” in Fiji unable to get anywhere else due to COVId. Worth checking out.

I only watch those that don’t pimp patreon, goods or otherwise panhandle for money. I haven’t seen Sailing Zatara mentioned, they don’t ask for money. Interesting family of 6 with kids ranging in age from 8-15’ish when they started. They’ve been cruising for 4+ years, Mediterranean, crossed Atlantic, Caribbean, crossed South Pacific, Australia, NZ, etc. The oldest girl, and great sailor, is off to college leaving 5 on the boat (Cat). I binge watched them over 3-4 days. I think they have 130+ videos. They are currently “stuck” in Fiji unable to get anywhere else due to COVId. Worth checking out.

Well...the kids sell t-shirts ;)

IMG_3670.jpg

Absolutely FANTASTIC video. Beautiful scenery, nice pod of humpbacks, great editing and you guys seem like super folks. It’s especially cool for me as the PNW is my youths home waters. This might actually be pacific “north north” west though. :)

You’ve got a new subscriber and thanks so much for not panhandling. To each his own but it’s the most annoying aspect of YouTube sailing/cruising vloggers. The intense monetization of vids is nauseating for me. If I can’t get through 3-5 min without an ad I move on and remove the channel from being recommended.

Cheers and happy cruising. I’ll be following and maybe we’ll meet up some day.

It would be great to meet up some day! It's the reason we have the channel.

The commercials are a tough deal. YouTube's algorithm picks the number and placement of the ads in a video. The more you watch a channel to the end of the video the more ads you are going to see. Rosy and I solved this problem by getting a YT Premium Subscription - I think it's $12.00 per month, so we don't see the ads. I think what you are basically doing is buying your own ad space on your screen in the process.

No Patreon, buy us a beer, etc., on Cruising Sea Venture. It's just not needed.

Thanks again for letting us know you are enjoying the videos. It means a lot to us.

Jim

We like

Check out the Wandering Knapps. Family of 5 on a 1987 47’ trdewinds Marine Trader trawler. Real world as it gets. Shows the ups AND downs. They are in Bahamas now and share how it is traveling during the Wuhan lockdown there.

It would be great to meet up some day! It's the reason we have the channel.

The commercials are a tough deal. YouTube's algorithm picks the number and placement of the ads in a video. The more you watch a channel to the end of the video the more ads you are going to see. Rosy and I solved this problem by getting a YT Premium Subscription - I think it's $12.00 per month, so we don't see the ads. I think what you are basically doing is buying your own ad space on your screen in the process.

No Patreon, buy us a beer, etc., on Cruising Sea Venture. It's just not needed.

Thanks again for letting us know you are enjoying the videos. It means a lot to us.

Jim

Hi Jim

Maybe 75 meant you folks not promoting a product in your commentary/dialogue, not YT adds?
I do agree with him though, the promotion of products over genuine content is becoming annoying, although I guess everybody wants to make a quick buck?

Another thing I like about your channel is the lack of loud obnoxious music, other channels mix the audio so “their choice” of music overwhelms the presenters normal voice level, so YT watchers are on and off the volume on the remote.

BTW, the latest Bradfield whale footage was excellent, perfectly captured footage, well done!
Also enjoyed you explaining your helm instrumentation and all the “boaty” stuff.
It’s good to go along for the ride with real boaters, not novices learning as they go.

Hi Jim

Maybe 75 meant you folks not promoting a product in your commentary/dialogue, not YT adds?
I do agree with him though, the promotion of products over genuine content is becoming annoying, although I guess everybody wants to make a quick buck?

Another thing I like about your channel is the lack of loud obnoxious music, other channels mix the audio so “their choice” of music overwhelms the presenters normal voice level, so YT watchers are on and off the volume on the remote.

BTW, the latest Bradfield whale footage was excellent, perfectly captured footage, well done!
Also enjoyed you explaining your helm instrumentation and all the “boaty” stuff.
It’s good to go along for the ride with real boaters, not novices learning as they go.

Thanks so much. It really means a lot to us to hear your feedback. We have worked hard to keep the music to a minimum for two reasons - 1) we agree, we want it to be barely noticeable in the background and 2) we are not musically inclined and have no idea what to choose from.

As you noted - The most recent trend in the larger sailing channels - ads that are not ads but is "content" that is really ads. A perfect example is Corona Beer - when you watch one of those big channels having a Corona and mentioning how nice it is, then you see a case of Corona in the background - all staged. They are getting paid thousands of dollars per episode for that "content".

As you can probably tell, we don't prepare / plan / stage anything. More and more of the channels 100% of what you are seeing is planned out in advance. That's OK, it's just we are not cruising to film, we just happen to film some while cruising. We do a lot of cruising without filming anything.

The whales just cooperated and we were lucky to be in the right spot at the right time. It didn't hurt that we just recently got a new fairly expensive video camera that captured the scenes.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim

EXACTLY! You can’t stop “some” YT adds but the content creator wishing to heavily monetize their content is obnoxiously obvious. Ads every 3 minutes, usually double or triple ads. Those who don’t sign up for monetizing get the standard 5 second ad every 5 min followed by a double ad about 7-8 min. Much more reasonable than those trying to fund their lifestyle off clicks, sales and subscriptions

But they never ask you to buy em. They sell other stuff but don’t pimp it out like so many others. Overt panhandling is annoying. No thanks

Oh I know. They don’t need the money, good on them. Some people do, that’s the way it is. The kids are selling stuff for their pocket money and to learn something. Hard to have a lemonade stand or a paper route cruising in the Pacific. They have a place in MT near where I lived until relocating down here to the high desert and I met and hung out with them for a while last winter.

Last edited:
I have a decent-sized YT channel (completely different area) and I have been wondering why there were not more powerboat-liveaboard channels. I was unaware of Cruising Sea Venture, so thanks for that!

Our channel is not monetised (many reasons) but my favourite boat–related channel is Rebuilding Tally Ho. Our boat is wooden, so that's part of the attraction.

Re. music: we never use it on our videos because any you choose will be disliked by many, and because our videos are instruction-heavy (meaning that the words are important) better off without any, we feel.

Like many of us I’ve been hooked on these vlogs for years now. I don’t fault them for trying to make a buck, it takes a lot of effort to shoot and edit video worth watching.

My evening always begins with wavy boats, as it puts me in the proper mood.

One of the most entertaining is 9 to 5 less, as it proves that you don’t need money, or skills, or even that much sense to cruise down the coast and have a blast.

Expedition Evans is great for those of us who enjoy working on boats as much as piloting them.

Sure beats anything the commercial folks put out.

I don't usually go to YouTube for boating info. Too much time is spent on introductions, focusing the camera, petting the dog, etc. And then there's the music. It is so much faster to just read, assuming the article is well written, and much easier to skip to the info that I'm looking for.

That being said, I watched most of the Pacific Yacht Systems seminar on marine electricalThere are actually several different seminars. Some parts of it were basic and could be seen as a refresher course. Most of the time it was like getting free information from from a master marine electrician. Other times a little jewel of information that I had never thought about was presented. The instructor, Jeff Cote, tends to be interesting and keeps things moving. And he probably is a master marine electrician.

One of the segments (the seminar is presented in bite sized pieces on YouTube) was really interesting. He as discussing proper fusing and what happens in over current situations. He showed a video of improper fuse location and a dead short. The insulation flashed off the entire length of the wire like a toxic smoke bomb. It made me realize that if that happened in my engine room, I wouldn't know where to point a fire extinguisher. Good to know, but probably not as entertaining as a bikini clad YouTube cruiser talking about their ice maker (with crappy music playing).

I don't usually go to YouTube for boating info. Too much time is spent on introductions, focusing the camera, petting the dog, etc. And then there's the music......................
but probably not as entertaining as a bikini clad YouTube cruiser talking about their ice maker (with crappy music playing).

I’m hearing you load and clear ;)

Also it’s really important to get the all important YT promotional still shot with the bikini clad lady partner from her best angle with a big bold heading like “I’m never going to speak to him again” or “How to sink a boat!”

I hope I’m not sounding too cynical :)

I also suggest the Wandering Knapps.
Authentic as it gets. Wonderful people have met them in person here in the Bahamas and Chris and his family have helped us out immensely.
Find them on Youtube and Facebook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom