Comnav Autopilot, backup battery replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Third-Reef

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Fleur De Lys
Vessel Make
1988 Nova 36 Sundeck
I have a Comnav 1420 auto pilot that works fine every time i go thtough the setup procedure. However after being powered off for several days it needs to be set up again. The manual says it needs "to be returned for service". I am pretty sure it needs the memory backup battery replaced. Anybody ever done this? Next time i am at the boat with some time i will thake the cove off and look for said battery

Just call Comnav - Satish will walk you through just about any maint. repair you need

It is not exactly cover off it's slide out PCB. If you did not do the install and have not before had it apart I would take the above advice and call Satish.

I called and the battey is actually inside the chip. $125 for the chip and $75 labor to replace it, not bad for service charges on a 15 year old system. I need to check some things first, i may not have been operating it properly and actually causing it to reset when i turn it on. Very helpfull company. They gave me info in the rudder angle indicator i wanted to install. Turns out it will oly indicate rudder angle while the auto pilot is operating, not while i am say docking. Glad i did not wast the money on that one. Thanks for the input.

The unit only has to be powered on for the RAI to work. Not engaged. Same with the heading sensor.

The tech support guy, Om was his name, spicifically told me it had to be in pilot or nav mode. He said the 1420 did not have standby mode, it was basically ON or OFF and in the ON condition it could be in nav or pilot mode. He suggested that i get a standalone RAI unit if i wanted that function.

Back
Top Bottom