1987 Grand Banks 36 Classic Aft Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mystic Blue

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
SiMBA
Vessel Make
1973 38' Hatteras DC
Thinking of buying this boat. Fresh water, stored inside (cold). Wondering about the diesel Lehman engines with 3900 hours. Are they getting ready for a rebuild? Anything I need to be concerned about particularly? Thanks.

Did you mean to post a link to the boat info?

Greg.

Yes. Still learning how to post....
Thanks.

Thinking of buying this boat. Fresh water, stored inside (cold). Wondering about the diesel Lehman engines with 3900 hours. Are they getting ready for a rebuild? Anything I need to be concerned about particularly? Thanks.

Assuming even a modicum of care and maintenance, 3900 hours is nothing. For the most part, these engines don't die - you have to kill them through serious neglect that causes severe over-heating or something. Someone with more FL experience than I have can cite a number where they start to show wear, but I'd be stunned if the number were below 10,000 hours. Maybe more - much more.

Most boats get around 100-200 hours per year of use. Occasionally, a Great Loop cruise will take that to 500 hours. Do the math versus your age - you're kids might have a worry someday, but probably their kids.

I like GB36's. To me, they are the gold standard for family trawler. Not crazy about the teak decks, but you can't have it all. Good luck!

Peter

Thanks. That's about what I thought.
Worked many years with Caterpillar and in my experience diesel engines only die from lack of maintenance. Had a wooden 32 Grand Banks for a while and the Lehman worked fine. The maintaining the wood in the tropics was a killer.

Yes. Still learning how to post....

Links are sooooo much easier than pictures. Copy the link location you want to post from the web page, highlight/select something in your TF post, like 'this boat' in "please look at this boat and let me know what you think," select the world icon with the chain on it from the tool bar, paste the link you have in the clipboard into the URL box, and select OK. Done.

Greg.

That engine is probably broken in by now. "Ready for a rebuild?" If you are an average boater and between 50 and 60, Not in your Lifetime!!

pete

I bought a 1979 GB32 two years ago with the usual single Ford Lehman 120. It had 400 hours on the clock. Obviously the clock was wrong. The PO seemed to have no idea how many hours are really on the boat. Runs like a champ, smokes a little and leaks a little oil from every possible orifice. I am slowly getting used to the the idea that it will just keep going.

Boat appears to be well maintained. If the engines look anything like the rest of the boat then you don't have any worries. Keep the valves adjusted, keep oil fresh, don't overheat them, should go to 10,000 at a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom