• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

sold 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht 1985 - Rose Mary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Westiculo

Vessel Name
Rose Mary
Vessel Make
42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Finally! Sorry for the wait everyone. After much deliberation and wading through a bunch of comps some folks were kind enough to pull for us, we finally settled in on a starting list price and to go for 'sale-by-owner'. Thank you for all the feedback and support.

42 Grand Banks Motoryacht 1985.

In the water at Charlestown Marina, Charlestown, MA.

List: $229,000
A few photos and the description are below, but see the website for complete pictures, description, and upgrades: https://westinmhill.wixsite.com/rose-mary

We just got a survey done last week to raise the hull value for insurance. This is not intended to replace a buyer survey - but it could help somebody decide whether or not she's worth a look-see.

Please PM with any questions and/or interest!

Description:Rose Mary is a truly a one-of-a-kind Grand Banks. Having undergone a tasteful refit from 2017 to 2020, she succeeds in striking the difficult balance between classic and modern. Her recognizable lines stand out against her peers with pristine Awlwood rails, fully-renewed teak decks, and all-new double pane windows. Inside you'll find numerous accents including shiplap ceilings, hand-turned control knobs, marble and granite countertops, and a tile shower. Her layout maximizes comfort with a walk-around queen in the master aft stateroom and an expanded down-galley with full-size refrigerator and dishwasher, leaving room for ample seating in the saloon. All living spaces were insulated to provide comfort in both warm and cool weather. From a maintenance perspective, all new tanks (holding, water & fuel), all new plumbing, and a refurbished electrical system promise dependable cruising for years to come. At only 5,000 hours, her reliable Lehman 135 twin diesel engines will continue to provide thousands and thousands of hours of economical cruising at 8.5 knots.

Please reach out if you have any interest. We're selling by owner in-part because we want to make sure all the knowledge we've gained over the years of refit are passed on to the new owners.

Attachments

• _MG_1552.jpg
    _MG_1552.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 425
  • _MG_1646hdr.jpg
    _MG_1646hdr.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 419
  • _MG_1852hdr.jpg
    _MG_1852hdr.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 408
  • _MG_1768hdr.jpg
    _MG_1768hdr.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 418
  • _MG_1713hdr.jpg
    _MG_1713hdr.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 411
  • _MG_1761hdr.jpg
    _MG_1761hdr.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 404
  • _MG_1908.jpg
    _MG_1908.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 409
Your boat

I’m interested. We will be buying a GB 42 soon. We were hoping to find a fresh water Classic closer to home in Duluth MN.
Is your boat kept in a fresh water harbor?
5,000 hours seems high side to me. Has it been surveyed? Engine oil analyzed?
Thanks, Owen Christensen

I’m interested. We will be buying a GB 42 soon. We were hoping to find a fresh water Classic closer to home in Duluth MN.
Thanks, Owen Christensen

Hi Owen, I love Duluth - I have a good friend living there and I'm originally from Wausau, WI and my wife from Owatonna, MN. Being that I'm from the midwest we might consider making a delivery over there since I've always wanted to take it up the Hudson. I'd honestly love somebody from the north to have it because of the insulation, diesel heater, and double pane windows - you'd just appreciate it more in the shoulder seasons than somebody from the south.

The boat is not a freshwater boat, it's currently in the Boston harbor but was a Florida boat for most of its life. Though it has been in salt water, all the seacocks are in excellent condition and the engine cooling system is clean. The exhaust elbow was upgraded to the newer stainless version. I think the previous owners must have kept up well with the zincs, as do I.

Unfortunately, I was stupid and did not do the engine oil analysis over time, so only have a snapshot from when we bought the boat in 2017. 5,000 hours on Ford Lehmans is not too high - but you should definitely look through the forum. You'll probably see numbers from 10k-12k for lifetimes on those engines. At 5k the transmissions usually start to have trouble, but they've already been replaced with TwinDisc so you're good there. The engines have not been surveyed but the boat has.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Wes

Thanks, Owen Christensen

Boat looks great! So many critical areas (tanks, decks, windows) taken care of Owen- 5000 hrs is not high side -it’s a 1985 boat, do the math. Brian Smith @ American Diesel would tell u that’s nothing.

Boat looks great! So many critical areas (tanks, decks, windows) taken care of Owen- 5000 hrs is not high side -it’s a 1985 boat, do the math. Brian Smith @ American Diesel would tell u that’s nothing.

100% agree - 5000 hrs on a well tended diesel is not a problem. Would also note the transmissions have been replaced, which are probably more common failure points. When I was young, I worked in a motorcycle restoration shop. 80% of the low-mileage beauties were low-mileage for a reason: something broke and never got fixed properly. I remember one BMW R69S where someone had replaced the carburetor floats with large corks and a wonky magneto - clearly, OEM parts were not available, so the bike sat for 25 years. Contrast that with dozens of similar vintage BMW's with at least 100k miles on them (5-place odometer) that would start on first kick. My point is: don't assume high-hours is a bad thing. Well-used and well-cared for is a really good thing.

That said, a fresh water Great Lakes' boat that was stored in a climate controlled shed during winters would be great. A bit of a unicorn, but maybe there's one out there.

Peter

Knowing what I know about F.L.s, Grand Banks and Duluth it is a match made in Heaven.

Personally though, I wouldn't pay that price for a 35 year old boat of that size, no matter how nice.

sorry,

pete

High hours on engines wouldn't scare me off as much as super low hours and these aren't even what I would consider high hours.

This is an absolutely lovely vessel and extremely well cared for, if I lived on the East Coast I'd have to have a look.

Westiculo, good luck with your sale, nice work!

and how did you get the windows so nice and original looking, I need a few like those?

Knowing what I know about F.L.s, Grand Banks and Duluth it is a match made in Heaven.

Personally though, I wouldn't pay that price for a 35 year old boat of that size, no matter how nice.

sorry,

pete

Hey Pete, I`m sure Westiculo really appreciated that comment:banghead::nonono:

High hours on engines wouldn't scare me off as much as super low hours and these aren't even what I would consider high hours.

This is an absolutely lovely vessel and extremely well cared for, if I lived on the East Coast I'd have to have a look.

Westiculo, good luck with your sale, nice work!

and how did you get the windows so nice and original looking, I need a few like those?
I personally do not consider these to be high hour engines. If the vessel shows care and maintenance, these engines will easily go 10k hours. Considering a full time 40-hr/wk job works out to 1800 hours per year, there's a lot of life left in these.

Peter

That is one good looking GB. The original windows were all sliders, doesn't look like there are any left on this boat, eliminates leaks, mildew in the tracks. Lovely galley. We had a '91 GB, not a motor yacht, so I can appreciate what was involved.Those engines are just broken in, they can run 25k hours if cared for.
Good luck with the sale

Wes, Ive seen your boat in Charlestown over the past few years. You moving up? You were a full time liveaboard too right?

Nice boat!

Hey, thank you all!

Put a ton of work into it. We’re actually moving out to the mountains likely. Job opportunity in Colorado. I do believe that by boat is the secret hack to sweet living in Boston.

Wes

Say a little prayer for me, Rose Marie, Rose Marie......

Sorry, I absolutely had to do that.

If someone really covets the GB 42, there is no way this boat could not be part of the equation. I guess I would move up in model years until I got to this price range and then compare them heads up. As long as the structure is dry, everything done on this boat will need to be done on a newer boat at some point, and likely sooner than will be needed again on Rose Marie. If she has good bones, this one is mighty fine. Like the corner used car lot guy might say- 'If you can find a better one at this price, buy it". I have no doubt there is a buyer for this beauty. The corner used car lot guy has another saying "there is an ass for every seat". Go find that *ss. Good luck with the sale. It is so nice to see a boat so well cared for. A rarity in this type of boat. When you see one it is an "oh my" moment.

Sorry I missed it.

It was probably more than I want to spend, but it does point out the need to move on the right boat quickly.
Still looking for a GB 42 through 49 , hopefully in the Great Lakes.
Owen

Very nice book. We are trying to sell our main ship 39 now in Hampton would you please keep us updated if anybody buys your boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom