Hello all, new guy. Wooden boat expertise? You are my new best friend!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MV Lilliwaup

Vessel Name
Lilliwaup
Vessel Make
Defever 54' Offshore Cruiser, 1972
Hi all, new to the forum and the proud new owner of a "project for life" 54' De Fever Offshore Cruiser, built by Oriental Boat Works in Yokosuka Japan in 1972.

I'm not a shipwright, electrician, plumber, painter, diesel mechanic nor carpenter by trade or experience, though I believe I will be developing some skills in all of these areas over time. Looking forward to the process of taking care of an abused boat and keeping her going. We (my wife and I) love her lines and layout and will be focused in the near term on stemming the tide of deterioration. I'll have many questions and not much to offer in return until I can get back to you all on how well your recommendations, experience and expertise have worked out and then be able to pass that on to others.. Thanks in advance, we really do appreciate it!

The Lilliwaup now resides in Pleasant Harbor, WA after her maiden cruise with us down from La Conner, WA. on Aug 1st, 2020. ~10.5 hours.

Beginning my forum search on wood rot mitigation and restoration now.

Travel safe and enjoy,
Tim

Welcome aboard. You certainly are taking on a big job as your learning experience. Have fun and enjoy. Keep slugging away at the deferred maintenance.

Welcome aboard!

Putt on over to Port Townsend, haul it and have a look at what you got yourself onto. Much rot experience there that can give you a good assessment. Good luck with your wonderful boat.

Welcome!

Now you'll never be bored -- and in future you will be a diesel mechanic, woodworker, plumber, electrician, painter, and probably a few more trades I haven't thought of.

And not to chase you away from here, but I would also recommend joining the Woodenboat forum.

I hope you don't mind me posting those gorgeous lines for all to see here (presuming there are not two Lilliwaups ;))

Attachments

• Lilliwaup-1.jpg
    Lilliwaup-1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Welcome to TF. Indeed, a beautiful woodie like that deserves an owner dedicated to preserving her. Best of luck..! You'll find plenty of support and advice on here.

Welcome aboard. If you haven't already, I would suggest you join the woodenboat forum. Very knowledgeable wooden boat folks. here's the link
You are being redirected...

I began a thread in the Monk forum here about the chap I'm about to link you to. His first video blog was in mid-November 2017 and he has been outputting videos at a rate of one a week. He is restoring two old Monks, I know at first you will only think there is one, but latter you will find out why there are two being restored.

I suggest you follow what he has done as some of it will be of help to you and other work projects won't relate to your situation at all. But I really recommend his videos as a help aid for your future projects:

Great looking vessel.
Back in 2013 this one had me all aquiver for $98k but she was on the other side of the planet

Just as well, or else we wouldn't have what we have now.

Have fun.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_15988190919712045.jpg
    FB_IMG_15988190919712045.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 27
That was my old boat.

Nice and looked to be good buying at the time, by Australian standards.

Looking back through my notes I had gone as far as looking at flights to China and then on to Canada and got quotes from dockwise and an idea on import taxes from Aust. Customs and then she became a $400k boat. :facepalm:

I had to sell it for a lot less than asking after the survivor found a bunch of dry rot in the fly bridge and in the saloon walls. But the guy was ok with a project. He did the work himself and it took a couple of years. Looking back thru the records I found where the boat had the front stem replaced by a yard in Port Angeles. Seems like it was about $80,000 for that repair.

Back
Top Bottom