View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #19
ScottC
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
From the beginning, we found our boat very difficult to back up with any accuracy, mostly due to the very small rudder. So,over the first winter, we had a SidePower SR80-185T Retractable stern thruster installed. When the SidePower factory (in Norway) recommended to the dealer the SR80-185T, I pushed back as I thought it was way over-sized, given that the bow thruster that came with the boat was only an SE40. The factory explained that "oversizing" was required to offset the resistance from the stabilizing fins I have in the aft, as well as the significant amount of cabin "wind area" on a fairly light weight boat (13,000-15,000 lbs, loaded)

In the end, it turns out the Factory sizing recommendation was spot on. If I want to move away from an alongside tie up using both thrusters together, the boat stays parallel to the dock. Happiness. The "marriage saver" feature of this installation has also functioned to perfection!

Over the years, I've honed my skills and have learned various tricks to compensate for the small rudder. Most of these tricks however, involve throttle, which I really don't like to use so heavily during delicate docking procedures. So, nowadays, I use the stern thruster a bit less than I did early on, but it's still a must-have, for my boat, in my opinion for so many reasons.

I've had this stern thruster for almost 10 years now and it's been trouble-free. Note, it absolutely requires a dedicated battery, mounted close by.

I considered the X-Turn (externally mounted) thruster mentioned earlier in this thread, but decided against it, as I did not want to introduce ~5% drag on fuel economy for the remainder of the life of the boat.

I've attached a spec below for information.

Good luck with your selection process!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SR80_185T_spec.pdf (2.12 MB, 52 views)