Powercat Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you naysayers need to go back to the first page of this subject thread and look at a few of the vessels presented there.

Then I would strongly suggest you have a look thru this extensive blog by the owners of Domino, a 20m (65') Tennant powercat that has done a considerable bit long range cruising, including offshore. They are getting ready to do the Pacific now.

DOMINO 20

View attachment 24220
View attachment 24221

By the way, I had suggested that a version of this design could be converted into a 'motorsailer' with the addition of my aft-mast rig.
View attachment 24222

Domino is now for sale,...very long extensive cruising experience around the world

Great video, Rich! Really a lot of info in that clip. When I think about the stressed areas characteristic of some other cat designs out there (includung Crowther's), it appears to me that he began with drawing a form to eliminate as many of those stress areas as he could with this design. I think this cat could be around for a long time. Got any idea of the weight?

How long does non-e gas last when treated with staybil? Pretty long right? Like 6 months?

I have seen claims of 12 months but they did not specifically identify the gas as with ethanol or non ethanol. There are a lot of if, ands and buts about the life of gasoline including where it is stored and under what conditions. They say the shelf life is 3-5 months untreated with stabilizer and 3 months longer with stabilizer but I have run lawn mowers with unstabilized gas after 12 months with no noticeable side effects. I think we all have been led to believe gasoline gets "stale" with age but at what point it loses enough octane to be usable is something I am not aware of.

Here in NJ boats have been running on ethanol fuel for at least 5 years.

There were some initial problems, but not so much any more as people learned the issues.

Many boats are stored over the winter for 6-7 months (Oct to May) with stabilized gasoline and are launched and run without issues.

There is so much misinformation about gasoline and ethanol gasoline nowadays on the web it makes me crazy.

if anyone would know the issues it would be a marine mechanic or an assistance tower.

Environmental factors I am sure change the equation a bit...but I doubt as much as the fearmongering over gasoline makes it.

Re: Domino. I couldn't even dare to dream that big, but Domino fills about every aspect of a dream cat IMO, save for maybe a stand up and walk-around engine room. I never saw any detailed pictures of its engine room until now....a lot tighter than I thought. Still, one could put up with that for the likes of all those other assets.

Great video, Rich! Really a lot of info in that clip. When I think about the stressed areas characteristic of some other cat designs out there (includung Crowther's), it appears to me that he began with drawing a form to eliminate as many of those stress areas as he could with this design. I think this cat could be around for a long time. Got any idea of the weight?

We were told the weight is approx 50,000lb. When we haul this spring I will get a more accurate weight.

Power cats seem to have developed a reputation for not handling rough water well. We saw some pretty rough stuff in our three years on a PDQ 34 - can't really say things are better or worse than a monohull - just different.

Here's a short video of my wife at the helm on our way to the Exumas in a 4-6 ft sea with a couple of other PDQ 34s:

https://www.facebook.com/365967100168156/videos/570817539683110/

Power cats seem to have developed a reputation for not handling rough water well. We saw some pretty rough stuff in our three years on a PDQ 34 - can't really say things are better or worse than a monohull - just different.

Here's a short video of my wife at the helm on our way to the Exumas in a 4-6 ft sea with a couple of other PDQ 34s:

https://www.facebook.com/365967100168156/videos/570817539683110/

Looks like she was having fun driving. What speed were you going?

Our normal "longer range" cruising speed was around 7 knots (1.5 gal/hr), but, if I remember correctly, we slowed to around 5 knots under these conditions.

Daddyo, you have displayed our Maine Cat. We love it!

I am so taken by this Aquilla 44' -so liveable :socool:
I know that one TF member here has a 2015, any other owners?

https://youtu.be/VPoMcOG_dhE

Me too. The Admiral and I have been aboard two at various shows, each with quite different furniture though. We loved the high gloss wood on the first one....no resin odor or material out-gassing that was obvious, but the other one had a grayish contemporary finish (contemporary means an excuse for dangerously sharp corners everywhere) that wreaked of formaldehyde. The Admiral couldn’t even start the tour.

Extended seating pod :). So the boat's all drawn and the designer realizes he's forgotten to include a cockpit.

One of my favorite features of the boat.

Attachments

• CDD88EE7-171A-4369-811B-7A062D487C81.jpg
    CDD88EE7-171A-4369-811B-7A062D487C81.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
It’s considered a long range cruiser, but know int navigation..only warm weather ..
They do indeed offer a main cabin helm station with redundant controls. It deletes the wine fridge but gives cold weather cruising ability.

PDQ power cat

I sure would like to ride on one to see if I like what I read about these cats. First off. Cheap on diesel. 2 gallons and hour at 10 knots and like 3 gallons and hour at 14 knots. I’m all rocking around at 7 knots and theses cats fly by me. Only draw 2 foot 4 inches and all kinds of room on them too. Some say they hobbie horse? I would love to be able to run from bad weather.

I think Domino (the first pic) is the finest cat I have seen.. The second is a Maine Cat. Sea Star the last pic is a friend's boat.

We own the Maine Cat shown. After reviewing the internals on Domino (only one sleeping cabin in a 60' boat) I'm very happy with our purchase. Super efficient with two Volvo 220's and has the get up and go (23 knots) if required.

Wow! Who wouldn’t want a Malcolm Tennant cat? Beautiful lines, great equipment , good cruising speed, but that million dollar price tag certainly put her out of my range. The fuel economy is terrific but $1million is a lot of fuel

Domino was designed and built for the current owners to their needs. Except for lack of guest accommodation, she has few other vices for her requirements. If you want a world spanning power catamaran, there's not too many options and even if there were, she'd be right near the top of my list.
However, it does appear that there aren't many other people with the exact same needs as the current owners that are looking now or in the last few years. Ignoring price, she would have suited us well in a few years time. Like C5F, we like our boat. But someone will get a fantastic boat in Domino.

These folks went to look at this cat. The wife wasn’t impressed. They are Nordhavn owners so used to a higher level of finish I think, plus the lack of a real second stateroom was a deal killer.

It’s basically a boat for a couple, and maybe kids come to visit and sleep in the “hole”.
I actually like the boat, but it would be very hard to resell IMO.

https://youtu.be/3ga0PzZ8c_0

I agree. Having 2 kids myself, this particular boat would be a non-starter for us even if everything else is perfect. Resaleability is a major factor in the purchase of our future powercat or trawler.

Wish there were more choices in powercats. Not a NA so maybe stating this incorrectly. In ocean going going sail characteristics include.
Little beam to the hulls. Easy to drive. Less likelihood of stalling in a head sea. Less pounding. Less hobbyhorsing.
Bridge deck starts fairly far back. Less burpng, stalling. With weight starting farther aft less hobbyhorsing and corkscrewing. Less risk with green water or “catching a corner” and pitchpoling or inverting. More functional reserve buoyancy forward as weight forward avoided.
Adequate bridge deck clearance-again burping,stalling, green water issues
Very fine entry wave piercing design of some sort.
Adequate form stability.
Weight sensitive. Both to total weight but also where it’s placed. Carbon and full foam more common and greater expense.
Escape hatches.
So gunboats, Outremers, Catana, chris White and other ocean going cats in all sizes share the same general features. Charter and coastal cats maximize living space and load capacity at a given lwl. One look at a cat and you know it’s target market.
Don’t see why these features aren’t applicable to power cats. Please explain?
Always been enamored by the Journey cats.

BTW even with the engines so far apart docking can be a handful if there’s a fresh breeze. Tend to move around more than a full displacement hull and quicker.

Last edited:
Just came across this thread. Thought I'd mention that this boat:

Pachoud Motor Yachts New Zealand - Wild Wind IV - 18m

is a member of our marina here on Lake Superior.

She's still in the family of the original owner / designer. She travelled to the US from NZ on her own bottom, operated by the owner, and has (according to her owner) cruised Alaska, BC, done the Panama Canal, done the Great Loop FIVE times, and several winters in the Caribbean. They were planning on spending this winter in the Bahamas but that's been made difficult by Covid.

She's often gone for weeks at a time, mostly operated by the original owner's kids and grandchildren. It's nice to see such a special vessel get the proper use she deserves.
BD

Hey BD, she is a lovely boat.
I'm interested in her "uniquely powered platform" to raise/lower the small tender. I can't find any pictures and would like to learn more about that if possible.

Back
Top Bottom