Tug dreaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• 00E0E_jChMf5Xl3Pa_1200x900.jpg
    00E0E_jChMf5Xl3Pa_1200x900.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 00303_hcz0UcnZhn5_1200x900.jpg
    00303_hcz0UcnZhn5_1200x900.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 00g0g_fpJJWSYlp34_1200x900.jpg
    00g0g_fpJJWSYlp34_1200x900.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 25
That's not a trawler. That's a troller. AKA a fishboat.

In my mind the Queen of all commercial conversions is Grayling. Doug Hylan kindly took me aboard her at the WoodenBoat Show up at Mystic Seaport many years ago & I was quite taken by her. He really made a name for himself with her restoration & conversion from a Sardine Carrier.

Attachments

• GRAYLING.jpg
    GRAYLING.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 25
  • grayling_slide21-640x480.jpg
    grayling_slide21-640x480.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 27
  • grayling_interior_slide.jpg
    grayling_interior_slide.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 23
Howdy all...I've popped my head into a few threads and figure I should probably make an introduction. Call me Pete...I'm a 40-something guy doing computer networking at Microsoft plus several side hustles in networking, photography, and personal development. Dreaming of a tug in the near future...here to soak up what I can and chime in on rare occasion.

Well, no matter the size of your ride - Herzlich willkommen, Velkominn, Bienvenue

Carl,
Interesting boats you point out. However, I would suggest, not for the "main stream" (vast majority of) pleasure boater???
Every pleasure boater needs and/or wants 1300 hp in their boat. :)
However, it does illustrate the principle that there are vastly different tastes out there. :)

Carl,
Interesting boats you point out. However, I would suggest, not for the "main stream" (vast majority of) pleasure boater???
Every pleasure boater needs and/or wants 1300 hp in their boat. :)
However, it does illustrate the principle that there are vastly different tastes out there. :)

The reality is that none of the boats that anyone on this forum owns are "mainstream". Mainstream in this country is a small center console fishing boat. Who cares? Mainstream is boring.

Mark,
Do you consider your Coot to be a trawler or a tug?
I consider her a heavy trawler.

Yes to all. (Fast trawlers are an oxymoron.)

Carl,
Interesting boats you point out. However, I would suggest, not for the "main stream" (vast majority of) pleasure boater? Every pleasure boater needs and/or wants 1300 hp in their boat.

Well we are talking about real tugs - that was one example. Granted 1300hp is a bit on the high side, but it's not exactly out of the ordinary. Most harbour tugs are single 500-750 hp engines. MS river pusher boats have two or three engines 1100hp each (but they are not real tugs).

Mine is the newest model that was ordered in 2017 to meet the more stringent IMO 2020 emissions. Rather than altering the entire tug fleet with scrubbers, it was decided to sell all but one and order three new.

At 35m in length and 15.5m beam and 5.5m draft it has twin Rolls-Royce Bergen C26:33L6PG, spark ignition, lean-burn engines fueled entirely by LNG, and developing a combined output of 3,410kW (approximately 4,574 bhp) at 1,000 rpm. Each engine is coupled to a Rolls-Royce US35 fully azimuthing propulsion unit of the latest type, incorporating propellers of 3,000mm diameter.

Cryro AB 80.0 m3 capacity double-walled tank, cold boxes and gas heating system. Twin Nordhavn auxiliary generators, powered by Scania diesel engines rated at 300kVA, 240kW, 400 volts 50Hz. Fuel 20.0 m3

These are two photos

Attachments

• Sanmar-Shipyards-Borgoy-800x541.jpg
    Sanmar-Shipyards-Borgoy-800x541.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 20
  • EKS6303.jpeg
    EKS6303.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 18
well big boy, how about we pit your bad-ass tug against my little rocket. Wonder who would win in a tug-of-war :)

I'm taking bets now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 4.38.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 4.38.20 PM.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 19
While interesting to see large "working tugs", I am not sure that is what the OP intended to talk and/or ask about. These are not and probably never will be anyone's "pleasure boat". :)
But if it makes you happy, carry on. But I would suggest, maybe a new thread?
JMHO.

Bartender boats..... Most are wood but thee are some alloy hulls out there.

Mako,
Bartender boats are a light plywood boat about 20’ normal in every way but they are pointy at both ends.

They call them “double enders” but they have a straight run aft and are definitely planing hulls. Probably rough riding as they are quite flat on the bottom but I think they have some benefit from being pointy in the stern in following seas and similar conditions.
Nice looking boats especially the hull lines.

Dan,
I think the designer named that design “Bartender” and many were built by various boat yards. “Bartender” is not a brand. To the best of my knowledge.

I’m not sure what to call ours . It was built as a commercial fishing boat with nets and outriggers. Now it’s retired. I call it a trawler but not sure what is.

Attachments

• 876FA938-F4D0-46E5-A299-89C5AAC29C87.jpg
    876FA938-F4D0-46E5-A299-89C5AAC29C87.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom