Pensacola area hurricane prep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fajah

Veteran Member
I need some ideas here. I have my boat slipped at a marina that has everybody move their boats out of the marina in case I name storm is headed our way.

All Marina’s in the area that have haul out equipment have a list of boats on a hurricane haul out priority. Additionally, all of these marinas with haul out services make you pay a fee every year ranging from $2000 to $5000 a year just to be on the list.

If you’re watching the weather you can see we have potentially two name storms headed our way. I’m not sure what to do with my boat once I have to pull it out that Marina any ideas would be helpful Don’t see the point of trying to move the boat away from the hurricane because we’re not quite sure where the hurricane will hit.

Fingers crossed

Thanks

Last edited:
Tying off/anchoring way up narrow creeks is something we did in the FL Keys. Another strategy is to anchor in a shallow area with multiple anchors. Then abandon ship via skiff. The boat can't sink.

We lived in Milton in the 70s, maybe head up the Blackwater River and find some place to tie off???

OK we’ve got a plan a buddy in the Next-door slip is helping me. He has extra anchors for me and we’ve identified a cove we can get in that’s not too far away. Will wait till Monday morning to make the decision. Here is the slip if you have a Google Earth

https://earth.app.goo.gl/yW1nRc

This morning's 7 AM briefing for us emergency management sorts put Laura making most likely landfall just east of the Mississippi delta, and the Florida panhandle out of the cone. That said, there is a bunch of uncertianty in the predicted track because of the other storm to it's west.

I know what happens to my boat in Carrabelle because of Michael. If you are doing it for a first time, you might go ahead just for the educational value of moviing and anchoring in your hurricane hole.

Remember that a big risk in staying in a marina is getting hit by other boats, even though you tied up really well.

Fajah,

Many locals run to the high banks of the ditch between Destin and Panama. Warning! This area can become a party zone during named storms! Bow and stern anchors with long lines running to trees on banks. Heading east sounds best at this time.

Thanks.

Looks like we ar out of harms way for now.

I’ll keep it in mind for next time though

With two storms, both spinning CCW. If they come close enough to each other, there will be opposing winds. It'll be very interesting if those winds cause a cancellation. There's also two low pressure areas. Low pressure sucks in nearby air/moisture. Who will suck tho in and what happens then. Very interesting as we seldom have this type of concurrent storms. My guess is for lot's of rain flooding. Test bilge pumps and switches and batteries at full charge. Throw switches to engage all batteries to pumps. Remove all fresh food from refrigerator and turn them off so there's no chance of them draining the batteries. I still feel that going up a creek is a reasonable choice as heading to a destination east or west of storms will find hundreds of other boats there by the time you arrive, unless you left a few days ago. IMHO.

Depending where the marina was in PCola....I would just haul it and strip it down to deck level or run up the Mobile River if there is a spot 100 miles inland with good protection.

Take all valuables off the boat ( not boat insured stuff unless you want to)

Attachments

• 118213948_10157702322811699_5168538363546077521_n.jpg
    118213948_10157702322811699_5168538363546077521_n.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Fujiwhara. I appreciate how the Japanese language has words for many things that English doesn't. Orbiting storms is something I'd never have guessed but does make sense.

I'm amazed so little mention here of Marco and Laura and Laura now headed to the Eastern Texas coast. It seems hurricanes only get attention when they're headed toward certain areas. Houston and Key West get attention, but Rockport, Mexico City, FL, and SC/NC areas may or may not get any help after one. Fortunately, Laura is headed toward a less popular area of Beaumont and Lake Charles. I guess that's good when you look at large numbers but little consolation to those who live and boat in those areas.

Maybe Pirates Cove in Josephine, Alabama

Well the first thing I would check is the fact that they cannot make you leave the marina in Florida - even If it is in your contract.

https://www.maritimelawblog.net/can-a-marina-require-you-to-mo/

I know we have discussed this before on here and there are different interpretations. I would take this opportunity to find out where you stand before the next named storm.

What were the other slip holders going to do?

Last edited:
Fajah,

Looks like you're out of the woods for now.

However, I like your idea of getting up to some cove and anchoring off with several anchors and lines to shore... then dinghy to safety.

That's my plan, but fortunate to have that set up behind my home. Pull away from the dock, throw out three or four anchors, and 4 or more lines. And, of course, take down anything that will blow off. Thinking of finding a way to cover the windows next time, too.

The risk in a marina seems high if the storm picks up and then you have boats bashing into boats and lines going over pilings and dock failures.

If time allowed, I'd bet you could find something going up Mobile Bay into the Tom Bigbee, but that would take time.

Best of luck to you.

Maybe Pirates Cove in Josephine, Alabama

Ask the folks whose boats ended up in the trees from Hurricane Ivan how Pirate's Cove worked out.

Here's the thing about local hurricane holes - everybody else knows about them too, and they will fill them up by the time most others think about them. I have one just 200 yards away from my pier, and we all watch the bayou like a hawk for "intruders" when a storm heads our way. Living nearby, we can get the boats moved to "provisional" spots to reserve anchorages about 2-3 days ahead with plans to enhance our moorings closer to landfall.

I've ridden out several hurricanes up the Escambia river. Bayou Chico is a pretty safe place but fills up fast. Blackwater is a great place. It's deep. I used to push barges all the way up to a terminal just below the RR bridge. Lots of slews off the main river with deep water, sandy bottom. I now get my boat hauled out at Pelicans Perch if we are in the cone of uncertainty. My Boat/ US insurance pays for 50% of costs related to this.

Gary

Right
At 8 knts Cruising speed it would be quite a trip

As close as you are to mobile, your best bet is pack the family up on the boat and head on up the river, that’s the safest option you have.

Ask the folks whose boats ended up in the trees from Hurricane Ivan how Pirate's Cove worked out.
Sorry my bad, I forgot. I’ve only been there once and now that you mention it, I remember seeing a wreck up in the woods. I’m not from the area and shouldn’t have made a suggestion.

Does your insurance pay for the $2k per year to be on the haul out list?

Well, you missed out on this one. But, now is the time to find a place to go for the next one. Because, the next one could be in two weeks.

If you can't afford the cost of ownership perhaps you shouldn't own
G

Sorry my bad, I forgot. I’ve only been there once and now that you mention it, I remember seeing a wreck up in the woods. I’m not from the area and shouldn’t have made a suggestion.

No, I think you should have made that suggestion, because otherwise all the options don't get gone over.

At eight knots cruise, I think you pretty much need some place within 25 miles to give time to get there, get set up, and then hopefully, off the boat to meet the person returning you to the dirt home to prep it too. NA for those living aboard. My goal is the have all this done and back to the house a minimum 24 hours before landfall.

We activated our hurricane plan on Thursday, a week ago. Just did not feel good about two storms close together and the accuracy of the forecasts.

Thursday and Friday we secured our house, tying down items that could be blown away and moving valuable things to higher elevations. Saturday prepped the boat and on Monday moved to our first hurricane hole in the Mobile River Delta. We picked this spot several years ago and noted pilings and large mooring blocks along the banks, obviously placed there for tie-offs. Always assumed they were placed by shrimpers or sport fishermen. After anchoring upstream of the mooring blocks we looked out and saw a 160’ USCG Inland Construction ship accompanied by four small utility boats tying up. Although tempted we were glad we had resisted using the tie-offs.

By Monday the forecasts were favorable (for us) so we went to our next spot, another 25 miles upriver and spent the night. Today we checked several possible locations and cruised by a boat landing which would serve as a dinghy take out.

We questioned the need to move but decided that a plan is only workable if you practice.

Lucky this time but it looks grim for west LA and East Tx. Hope they do their best to get out of harms way.

Attachments

• 2BA7E077-769D-48C8-AABB-5464FDB3B362.jpeg
    2BA7E077-769D-48C8-AABB-5464FDB3B362.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 53
ALWAY LATE
It was a simple question, does your insurance pay the 2000 a year you pay to be on Pelikan‘s haul out list? I don’t care that you paid 2000 or 10,000 to be on that list just curious if you can get your insurance company to pay.

So please don’t preach to me about the cost of ownership I’m well aware of it. You shouldn’t be so touchy. Heck if you try to get on barber marina it is $5000 for membership. The only Thing that you get for being a member is the privilege to pay for Hall out and be on that list.

Not trying to start a fight here but you shouldn’t be so insulting in your replies.

Anyone have first hand knowledge of how boats have fared in the last few hurricanes in the Bayou Grand Marina at Pensacola NAS? Currently searching for a boat, and considering mooring there . . .

Dreadful time of the year. The last day of August is hot, my birthday and the begining of the second half of huricane season. Being a native of Florida with many huricanes under my belt. My two cents:
1- Find another Marina that wont kick you out when things get dicey
2- Purchace insurance from a quality company
3- Spend the day securing your boat. Spiderweb and double your lines Remove valubles take pictures etc
4- Get the hell out of Dodge
Atlanta is a good place to wait out hurricanes. During Irma I caught a Braves game after a nice meal. Bottom line- Life is short. Who needs the stress if you can avoid it. Like my Momma always said- You pay your money and take your chances Forrest
Best hurricane hole is way up north and best to leave in May.

49526139741_976470adf7_h.jpg
49526139971_e2c2308695_h.jpg

It's a lot more fun to find a place to stash your boat in a hurricane, when there is not a hurricane breathing down your neck.

This is a picture of our boat in it's hurricane hidey hole. This spot is 10 miles from our marina, and I scouted it out well before hurricane season several years ago, even sounding the area all around in my center console. The view from the camera is due south. All of those trees are between me and hurricane winds. They all survived Katrina.

And, I have two back up spots because I have had more than one person comment on how much they liked the spot I found. :)

Don't think this is the first year for hurricanes. They come a lot on the gulf coast.

Last edited:
Pensacola hurricane prep

I need some ideas here. I have my boat slipped at a marina that has everybody move their boats out of the marina in case I name storm is headed our way.

All Marina’s in the area that have haul out equipment have a list of boats on a hurricane haul out priority. Additionally, all of these marinas with haul out services make you pay a fee every year ranging from $2000 to $5000 a year just to be on the list.

If you’re watching the weather you can see we have potentially two name storms headed our way. I’m not sure what to do with my boat once I have to pull it out that Marina any ideas would be helpful Don’t see the point of trying to move the boat away from the hurricane because we’re not quite sure where the hurricane will hit.

Fingers crossed

Thanks

The river at Pirates Cove in Josephine, Al is not far from you and is a really good hurricane hole. Also, The Wharf Marina in Alabama is on the ICW, is quite protected, has floating docks and does not require evacuation either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom