2003 Eastbay HX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainK

I am looking for a powerboat that will allow me to cross the Gulfstream from Florida, do the Bahamas, go down the Caribbean... and maybe cross over to Panama.

Any thoughts on the Eastbay HX? Sea worthy for what I have in mind?

We've been looking at the Offshore 54 mostly -- but my wife has concerns about the size of the Offshore 54.

If the the ones I just looked at on Yachtworld (GB Eastbay 54) you will have a safe range of around 400 Miles (950 tankage at around a half mile a gallon). Not sure that will allow you the kind of runs you are looking at.

Or is it a different boat?

If the the ones I just looked at on Yachtworld (GB Eastbay 54) you will have a safe range of around 400 Miles (950 tankage at around a half mile a gallon). Not sure that will allow you the kind of runs you are looking at.

Or is it a different boat?

Thank you. Those are the ones I am looking at.

The Offshore 54 seems quite reasonable at 7.5 knots with a 2100nm range. Just also thinking about generator usage etc.

Do you know if the Eastbay HX is a "blue water" boat?

Well you will get plenty of comments on what is and isn't a "blue water" boat! So I will stick to some thoughts on your intended cruising grounds.

These boats will have no issues running through the near and far Bahamas, and even the T&Cs. Just like the rest of us you will need to be mindful of your weather windows. I see plenty of Sabre 48s in the Exumas and Eleuthera etc. It's nice that you have the extra juice to get out of dodge quickly if you need to.

Going further south you will have longer runs. With that comes the greater chances of being caught out in weather. From what I see these aren't stabilized. I suspect that they will be not the most comfortable at hull down speeds in long swells, which they are not designed to do. Might end up with a very unhappy wife.

Last edited:
I've captained several Grand Banks and recently moved an Offshore 54. My friend owns a Grand Banks HX and while it is a great boat, it is not comparable to an Offshore. Both fruits, but apples and oranges.

The Offshore is much more of a long distance boat, designed to handle unexpected weather and changing sea state (hull design, stabilizers, etc.). I'd say the Offshore is like a Nordhavn, without some of the redundant bits, and it can travel faster (but that will cost you in fuel). We burnt 3 GPH cruising at ~7 knots over 2 days non-stop. It was a 2001 with the big engines. I was surprised how economical the boat was at lower speeds.

The GB is more of a coastal cruiser. The Eastbay is great, but very tight spaces, which makes it harder to work on. Tight spaces relate to work taking longer, and if you don't do the work yourself, that means more money spent on labor.

It's completely different type of boat. One is built for extended trips, the other is a great weekend cruiser.

Back
Top Bottom