Ship split in two, massive oil leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't think it's massive as they knew it was going to break apart and offloaded most of the oil over the past week or so. They already had booms and spill craft there for anything else that came out.

They use several different terms in the report. Is it crude oil, a ship's fuel oil heavier than diesel, or something else?

Ted

I wonder why Mauritius is not designated as an area to be avoided like Bermuda "DUE TO THE DANGER OF STRANDING ON THE REEFS FRINGING BERMUDA AND FOR ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION, THE INTERNATIONAL MARITIME ORGANISATION (I.M.O) HAS ESTABLISHED AN AREA TO BE AVOIDED AROUND THE BERMUDA ISLANDS."

I believe there is a prohibited area around the Florida Keys too ( for larger vessels).

Captain has been arrested. Apparently they were not watching the store....

I believe there is a prohibited area around the Florida Keys too ( for larger vessels).

When we first moved to Florida I was warned off running the tight inside (ICW) route through the Keys as I was told that any grounding was going to cost big bucks in fines never mind the cost of damage to our boat.

Just found this:

http://www.sailmiami.com/SM_Articles/aground.htm

Last edited:
In one of the stories there was discussion of "a birthday party for one of the crew", and a discussion of running tight to shore to "try to get wifi".

When we first moved to Florida I was warned off running the tight inside (ICW) route through the Keys as I was told that any grounding was going to cost big bucks in fines never mind the cost of damage to our boat.

Just found this:

The Cost of Running Aground on Biscayne Bay

Yes, but the prohibited area is to protect the coral reefs from ship damage.

And yes, don't screw with the grass on the Bayside.

If my memory is correct....a famous case was when a guys yacht was stolen and it was found/noted as aground in the lower bay area.

When he went to reclaim it, he was given a bill of $80, 000 or something outrageously seabed damage.

When he took Florida/ US, I forget which one as both have jurisdiction I believe, to court as he wasn't the one that ran it aground, the documented boat was "arrested" until the bill was paid. It took years to straighten out.

Back
Top Bottom