Trawler owner once again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweet marie

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Riley G
Vessel Make
29 Guilles (custom built)
A couple of years ago we decided to sell our 34 Californian. It was the perfect boat for us but the $800 a month or so to keep a boat slipped in San Diego was too much. On top of that traffic was getting so bad that it could take us three hours to get to the boat on a Friday night as opposed to the usual hour and 45. We then bought a Phoenix 29 with twin diesels that we kept on a trailer in our home. I loved the boat but it was far to “chaotic” for my wife because of the speed and the motion caused by the deep V. We looked at the usual trailerable suspects but could not find anything we liked. A couple of weeks ago I did a search on Yachtworld and found a custom built trailerable trawler in Seattle. We flew up for a weekend and instantly fell in love. Three weeks later she is sitting in her new home in Southern California. I am going to post a few pictures and later post some details (have to get back to work). My wife and I are both very excited!

Attachments

• 7CA1BE77-66E4-4C38-BC49-A8969DEA4FE3.jpg
    7CA1BE77-66E4-4C38-BC49-A8969DEA4FE3.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 5979C083-1C79-4321-839B-8F3EA83AED74.jpg
    5979C083-1C79-4321-839B-8F3EA83AED74.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 208
  • AD0056A9-FF37-4C08-A467-CE42E7AC46D5.jpg
    AD0056A9-FF37-4C08-A467-CE42E7AC46D5.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 191
  • AE08F3FA-B310-4BF8-A7E8-ADD129DFB06B.jpg
    AE08F3FA-B310-4BF8-A7E8-ADD129DFB06B.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 175
  • E8FB1DE0-E09C-4DEB-B34D-AC9A9195E1B3.jpg
    E8FB1DE0-E09C-4DEB-B34D-AC9A9195E1B3.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 5CB1C0E8-EA2B-4C72-9145-F416942CB678.jpg
    5CB1C0E8-EA2B-4C72-9145-F416942CB678.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 41D8A57D-323E-4159-A928-985F1F151CC3.jpg
    41D8A57D-323E-4159-A928-985F1F151CC3.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 9ACD2077-D008-44BC-ACA7-F4C5F29DC9D7.jpg
    9ACD2077-D008-44BC-ACA7-F4C5F29DC9D7.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 176
Congrats on your new boat. Looks nice, pretty lines. Have fun.

Congratulations. That’s a nice looking boat.

Your new boat looks like a great way to enjoy the Sea of California without the bash!

Looks great, John. Let's hear (and see) more!!

Congrats on the great find! Your old 34 LRC looks like it's getting love and TLC from its new owner.

Congratulations! Great looking little boat. Looks fun to drive.

Pretty cool...what is the beam? Designer? Model name?

She was built in 2009 by a boat builder in Washington. This was the last boat he built. He built the boat in 2009 for he and his daughter to cruise the northwest in. His name is Peter Guilles. The boat is named after his daughter Riley G. I have had the pleasure of talking to him a couple of times already about the boat. It is a luxury to be able to ask him questions and have him tell me his reasons and thought process for the design. He spent a year and a half designing the boat. It is very over built. His intentions were to eventually trailer it. The hull is epoxy glass over wood, the super structure is epoxy glass over wood and foam, and the roof is a glass honeycomb composite. All surfaces inside and out are epoxy coated. If you look under the floor boards it looks more like a piece of furniture than it does a bilge. The boat has been to Alaska at least once. She is 28’4” with an 8.5’ beam. Her proportions are so well done that she appears much bigger in the water. All the rails are extremely heavy duty custom made polished stainless. The interior was done very nicely also. She is powered by a Volvo Penta D4 225. At 7 knots she burns just over a gallon. At 15 knots she burns about 5.2 gallons. Top speed is 30 knots, but I think I will run her in the 14-15 knot range for the most part. When I get a chance I will post some interior pictures. About the only work she needs is the hull to be painted, it has some dock rash after being in the water for 11 years. She rides and handles like a dream. Thanks for all of the complements!

You have the perfect boat for the PNW, Coastal BC and Alaska. You're story would have been perfect if you then announced after purchasing it, you've moved to Washington where you'll have thousands of hours on the water in all kinds of weather (rain) enjoying your new cruiser.

That enclosed cockpit is wasted in California... LOL.

She's a beauty with an interesting history!

Guess it's time to update that old profile pic, John!

profilepic3877_2.gif

Boy that brings back memories! The new owner has taken over her care and has made a lot of improvements. I was glad he was the one who bought her. So many boats sit neglected, it’s a shame.

Very cool package. Congrats.

One nice thing about being trailerable is that if and when I make it to retirement I will be able to cruise the Northwest and the Sea of Cortez. Maybe even do the great loop. All depends on how many good years the good Lord gives us.

We flew up for a weekend and instantly fell in love. Three weeks later she is sitting in her new home in Southern California. I am going to post a few pictures and later post some details (have to get back to work). My wife and I are both very excited!

You bought them both so they wont be lonely? What a guy!!

Last edited:
Does kind of look like a mother daughter pair. I have had the little one for 25 years now, can’t seem to part with it.

I guess mama can raise the daughter.
I hope you will use them both.
I guess you could start interviewing potential 'parents.'

Nice looking boat. Trailering saves marina costs, but requires a serious truck and trailer which are not free. Did you look into other alternatives, like local yacht clubs, moorings etc? There is also the cost of your time. If trailering adds a couple hours to your day, that has some opportunity costs as well. Not trying to sound negative, but all factors need to be taken into consideration.

Wow
Never would of guessed she will fit on a trailer!
Best of both worlds.
Enjoy

Nice going! Saving 7200 dollars a year on marina costs and lord knows how much on haul-out and bottom care, and since you apparently already have the prime mover, you can save enough to pay for the prime mover's care and gas for many trips to the water.

I actually enjoy trailering a boat. My last boat was longer and foot and a half wider and I trailered it. Because of the width it was somewhat of a pain. This boat trailers really well behind my 3/4 ton Dodge. We like being able to trailer it to different places. We just got back from Catalina and we launched in Long Beach. Next week we are going g to San Diego. It works for us right now. I am noticing myself slowing down as I get older, so someday we will probably go back to a slip.

We just spent a couple of days at the Isthmus and I can’t believe how much attention she got. One gentlemen was paddle boarding around us then went and got his wife and gave her the tour. I will pos interior pics later today. Thanks for all of the compliments and kind words.

Interior pictures

I finally got the chance to take and post some interior pictures. I have been busier than ever at work!boat int 1.jpg

boat int 10.jpg

boat int 11.jpg

boat int 12.jpg

boat int 2.jpg

boat int 3.jpg

boat int 4.jpg

boat int 5.jpg

boat int 6.jpg

boat int 7.jpg

just saw all the sideways pics, sorry

Looks good. Where's the head?

Last edited: