View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Phil Fill
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
That boat could probable cross an ocean with its deep draft, 2,500 gallon tanks, fish stabilizers and tonnage. It would be a great boat for the PNW. However, as mentioned the large fuel tanks can be a concern as the newer diesel should be turned every few years. However, there are pluses and minuses of leaving the tanks empty, but it probable has several individual tanks, so maintain/use one or two of the tanks?

The 671 engine is a proven, dependable, long live and parts/service available. Most of the older long range commercial trawlers and our Eagle have 671. the plus is they can be rebuild in frame/place. Draft might be a concern but being a single with as shoe protect prop even if you do go aground should not be to much of a concern. I have grounded the Eagle several time, and at – 3 foot tides the Eagle sits on the bottom at our dock. Having a single/protect prop is better than having bare un protected prop hand down, even with a low draft. You have a sail boat so your use to a deep draft and good ultra stasility.

Many long range trawler are stark/shippy/functional. If you are planning on going out in rough open water being stark/shippy/functional is a plus. However, you can warm them up with lighting/texture/carpet/remodel. The Eagle was stark/shippy/functional when we bought her. I still call her the slow ugly old trawler as that was my first impression of her. However, my wife like/wanted/bought the Eagle and since then we have PIMPED it out, so it’s a great a live aboard.

If you plan on being a live aboard, remember you will be a live aboard 100% of the time and cruising as small % of time. So don’t just look at the mechanical/electronics, be sure to look/consider the creature comforts. If you are just starting to look at trawler make sure you go on as many as you can, and most of all, TAKE NOTE WHAT YOUR SO LIKES/DISLIKES. Keep the SO happy and you will happy.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote