ONAN MDJE 7.5 shutdown solenoid problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pacific Myst
Vessel Make
West Bay 4500
On the last run of the gen it started "stuttering" for lack of a better word. Wouldn't hold freq or voltage and quit before I could shut it down. The energize to run fuel control solenoid was getting a fast interruption of power, that was causing the stuttering. It hammered the control linkage and broke the ball joint I'm looking for in my other post this morning.

Now, to my question. The solenoid function makes this engine energize to run. Are the oil and temp auto shutdowns in series with the manual shutdown switch? I'm on the hook for a couple of days without the manual. I patched the ball joint joint with a hose clamp and cleaned up the wire and resecured it. Gen ran fine for about 30 min then started stuttering again. I suspect the issue us "up stream" of the solenoid A general description of the shutdown circuitry would be very helpful in troubleshooting .

Attachments

• Onan_Diesel_Controls_612-4792_b.jpg
    Onan_Diesel_Controls_612-4792_b.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 55
  • onan-75-mdje-wiring-diagram-5.jpg
    onan-75-mdje-wiring-diagram-5.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 51
Thank you. That's what I'm expecting to find. Lose, bad or chafed and grounding. I let some knuckleheads work on it last year. Found the solenoid wire chafing on hose clamp tails left too long and zip tied to the fuel injector lines. Won't tell you what they did to the fuel system.

Look in the control box. There are some little screws that come loose and they can cause a issue where the solenoid trips. I painted them with toenail polish.

Look on the head, mine would come loose at the temp sender on the head and cause the same symptoms you described. It’s very hard to tighten the Phillips head so I made a wedge of some sort to secure it

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions. I'll dig into it after I get home. We've been on the hook for two nights and the batteries are holding up well as of this morning. So I'll be postponing removal of the sound shield and serious troubleshooting until I get back. The main engine alternator will get a workout as we head back today.

Back
Top Bottom