Glazed cylinders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverback

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Resolute
Vessel Make
Selene 48
My yanmar 6lpa- stp2 had only 570 hours when i bought my 10 year old integrity 35. I suspect most of those hours were at idle in the pen. As a result there is a light film of oil on the exhaust water and a little blow back on the air filter collar. Is there an oil additive that might clean the cylinder walls?
Since buying the boat ive done about 200 hours and it runs very well. I have tried a bit of brutality and given her a few runs Of half an hour at high revs but may need more.
Any thoughts please?

I slight sheen in the water at idle was very normal for my Yanmar 4lh and most others I have observed. Is unburnt fuel. Enjoy the boat :)

Ditto. Not a problem. Enjoy your boat.

Put your hand behind the crankcase vent that terminates above the air filter and run at moderate loads. Do you feel any pulsing which can be an indication of blowby. If no pulses, no blowby and what you are experiencing is normal.

If you do have a little blowby and it is caused by cylinder glazing, then running hard, say 3,000 rpm for a day can help.

David

Great, thank you. I will do both, the check on the tube and give her a bit of a stir up!

Back
Top Bottom