Victron MultiPlus Inver/Charger options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

We are replacing our Xantrex Freedom 2K Inverter/Charger soon with a new Victron MultiPlus 3k/12v/120 unit and it looks as if there are a few options to control/monitor this unit, Bluetooth, or Color GX Controller?

Was looking for any suggestions or recommendation from members who may have done this already.

Looks like that GX Color display is nice but so is its price tag.....:eek:

Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

• 1242035274_upload_documents_1550_1000-Multiplus-12-3000-120-50_left_300dpi.jpg
    1242035274_upload_documents_1550_1000-Multiplus-12-3000-120-50_left_300dpi.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 28
I went with the standard Victron remote controller and have been happy with it. I did also have some battery and AC gauges in place so didn't really need the extra features of the colour monitor20200816_120301.jpeg

Thanks, we are also planning to add some solar panels with Victron MPPT unit as well so I thought that a nice color display would be nice but the cost kinda dampens the idea somewhat...

Last edited:
The one panel I found I don’t like being without is the basic multi control. It gives you the current input knob, the on/off/charge switch and you can see the charge/invert status at a glance. Nothing you can’t monitor or control from other panels, but this is the only things you really tweak on a daily basis.

I believe you can stack this with other controls like I’ve done with the older blue panel. IMG_0851.jpg

I installed a Quattro inverter/charger 8 years ago and at the time the Blue Power Panel was the helm monitoring unit. Monochrome screen, but it had the capacity to fully configure attached equipment via some fairly deep menu tree's.

That Quattro had a fault and was replaced (part warranty provided) just over 2 years ago. But I had to 'upgrade' to the Colour GX as the BPP was no longer compatible with the newer Quattro. What a huge disappointment the Colour GX is! Basic colour graphics, provision of a reasonable amount of monitoring info, BUT no capacity to edit configuration of attached devices!

To program the Quattro I needed an ethernet cable and a not inexpensive Victron dongle for my laptop. Now sure, once configured you don't often want to make changes, but if I do want to then now it is quite a process.

So I hope the latest device, the Cerbo GX, addresses this. It probably does via an app and bluetooth. I think Victron knew that was the future and that is why they did not bother to put anywhere near enough effort into getting the Colour GX programming done to the extent available on the old BPP.

So check out the product specs carefully before buying!

Check out "Victron Global Remote"
I've had this for about 6 years. Love it.

Do I understand this correct?..If I want to monitor the House DC loads, I will have to also install a BVM-712 (with smartshunt) and then connect it via VE bus to the GX display in order to view information on a monitor panel ??

If you have the color controller you can use it to troubleshoot the system if there are any problems. Otherwise you will need to find a tech with a MK3 adaptor and a laptop running the Victron software. Or you can use the color display to allow Victron to remotely diagnose and setup your system.

Do I understand this correct?..If I want to monitor the House DC loads, I will have to also install a BVM-712 (with smartshunt) and then connect it via VE bus to the GX display in order to view information on a monitor panel ??

Yes and no.. The 712 shows battery status by itself (incl. volts, amps, SoC and Ah) with a bit of scrolling. That info is also available on your phone via app & bluetooth connection to the 712. So if space constrained, and if you are only interested in the DC aspects then just the 712 is fine.

Add the GX if you want AC info as well. Given the Colour GX cannot edit settings, it adds very little if you have a 712. Ie the 712 is by far the most important component to have.

So our xantrex 3K inverter went toast in May and we replaced it with the Victron 3K inverter you are looking at. Victron has a great online forum for questions and very helpful folks if you ask them a question. I had some struggles on the controller aspect of what to do, and tried several things.

In order to adjust all your settings via phone or PC app you need a MK3-USB module. Highly recommend you buy one and keep it on the boat. You can also use this to update the Inverter firmware which they actively update.

I went with the latest Cerbo controller, which was a little overkill for my application. But if you're keeping your boat for a while you should get the latest and greatest. Caution: it has bluetooth, but its only current use is to help you connect to a wifi network. It does not work with the excellent VictronConnect phone app over bluetooth yet. In order to have the bluetooth phone app work, you need to buy the VE.Bus smart dongle (which has its own bluetooth). But this dongle does not help with making the inverter detailed settings.

The Cerbo wifi connectivity allows access remotely from home with a nice app on phone or pc and you can monitor your electrical system over time as well as batt temp, parameter warnings etc. Also cool is that you can set it up to send you an email if its not received any recent data over wifi (ie: your warning that there is a power issue on boat or at marina), or if any parameter settings are exceeded.

Lots of cool tech toy options with Victron. Please check out their forum! and good luck. So far i like their products.

So it looks like I have 2 choices, the GX color non-touch screen panel, or the Cerbo box that connects to its companion touchscreen....comparing these two options it looks like the Cerbo would be the best choice ???..looks like the price is almost the same....

Look at the feature content of both, analyze the specs carefully. Then have a drink and think about what would look cooler in your boat while you enjoy it or when its time to resell it. Then have another drink because these are good problems to have in life!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom