Bilge water a stunning color turquoise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Night Watch

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Night Watch
Vessel Make
36’ Nova Sundeck
On the list of What Not to Expect this one is up there pretty high.
The Nova bilge is forward in galley and usually has a few inches of water that I periodically add a little vinegar to but today it has a distinct color.
I haven’t been using any different shampoos, as the other second bilge, which takes shower gray water can over fill into the galley area bilge forward. I don’t use any black water treatment presently, and there is no sewage smell.

I’ve had the boat several years now and never seen this, actually never seen this color except in thermal pools in Yellowstone.
Does anyone have any prior experience with the blue bilge?

Attachments

• CD99D886-2BD0-46C4-9422-540AAB0A8DC4.jpg
    CD99D886-2BD0-46C4-9422-540AAB0A8DC4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 147
Could be an oxide of copper. Look for hot wires in the bilge water or corroded through hull fittings, etc.

What color is the antifreeze? Stored fluids ditto.

What does it smell like?
Rub some between 2 fingers for lubricity (soap, oil, ect).

Ted

A mystery we all want solved. Keep us posted please. Is the second bilge/shower showing any of this color?

My first thought was Ski's.

IMO you need a shower sump. Its small volume allows the pump to get out most of the water.

This.

Letting showers/sinks overflow into bilges leads to nasty smells. Attwood, Rule and others make a variety of sizes. If I had to choose I'd go with one that had the pump outside of the box. But I've had boats in the past with the small Attwood sump that has a pump inside and they provide the same effect. It's just nastier cleaning up the sump come spring time if any nasty bits were left to fester while laid up for the winter...

Yes Sure looks like copper.
I noticed the bilge pump wires poorly wrapped with tape. Those connections because of the damp location should be sealed in heat shrink tubing. Another future boat job.
One other thought. Are there any batteries that could have leaked down there? Don’t put your finger in it just in case it’s acidic!

Last edited:
Definitely add a shower sump. Even then they will stink if you don’t clean them often enough or at least add some gray water treatment to the sump.

Is your shower pan below waterline?
If not why not gravity feed it straight through the side?

Lots of advice, anecdotes, and opinions as usual. My open shower sump does not stink, never has in six years of ownership, four years as a full time live aboard. I occasionally, very occasionally, add some No-Flex Digestor, the additive many use in their black water tanks. No soap scum and clear water is the result. Perhaps my experience is the exception although I can't think of a reason why it would be.

I wouldn’t of thought that copper oxide would be held in suspension and so evenly dispersed. Shampoo would foam if you put a sample in a jar and shake it vigorously. Nitroglycerin on the other hand ......

I would guess it's antifreeze leaking from your engine or generator. Or heating system if you have a hydronic system (probably not).

I would guess it's antifreeze leaking from your engine or generator. Or heating system if you have a hydronic system (probably not).

Give it the old 'hands on check'. Trace out the hoses with your bare hand, feeling for leakage. Check the hose clamps tight.

Lots of advice, anecdotes, and opinions as usual. My open shower sump does not stink, never has in six years of ownership, four years as a full time live aboard.

I'm reminded that cat people don't think the litter box stinks, either. Though with the fancy litter-robot we've got for ours you're really hard-pressed to pick up much.

Not saying that's the case for you, but in my experience standing gray water from a sink or shower WILL stink.

Whether one notices, or if the smell rises to the level of bothersome, well, that's another question.

I don't expect a boat to be totally without various odors. I just find it's best to keep things as neutral smelling as possible for WHEN something DOES leak and you need to find the source...

Night watch, if you don't have an inspection plan in effect. The easiest test is to empty and rinse both bilges until clean. Then give it some time to see if it happens again. Copper does produce a green similar to what you're describing so its the best guess if it continues to happen. With age these bilge pumps can get a tiny bit of water into the motor, start corrosion process and puff up, thus splitting the motor case on the pump. Pull the pump from the strainer and inspect the bottom for signs of failure.

Night watch
Again, what color is your antifreeze?

Blue bilge

Checked for antifreeze first as that sounded dire but, no sign of leaks around engine or around hot water heater hoses, and coolant levels full. Took a sample and tested it with Coolant Tester gadget and it didn’t register.

I do have a shower sump with a float switch and bilge pump and unfortunately it is right under a set of house batteries about 5’ aft from main bilge. This has an overflow to the main bilge in the galley. That float switch and pump are about two years old and I switch them on when I shower).
There is a small area where I can view bilge water sometimes and there is a manual pump hose that extends down but not quite all the way. usually it’s dry in the summer, so I was surprised to find anything at all. There is blue in this area too.

(Thanks for the note on electric connection- a few years ago switched out all the butt connectors with heat shrink crimp and marine heat shrink tubing but there is still some tape on the wires from PO.)

I thought I’d test the copper suggestion by using an aquarium test kit for copper. The sensitivity for a fish tank should be low enough on the test strips that it would work for a liquid with that much color. Will pick them up at a pet store this weekend.

Attachments

• 0DC69642-913E-4F44-BC12-67E40ABBA7E3.jpeg
    0DC69642-913E-4F44-BC12-67E40ABBA7E3.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 72
  • BFA7C28D-C6A4-45C0-8CE9-BCB003E1E2BB.jpeg
    BFA7C28D-C6A4-45C0-8CE9-BCB003E1E2BB.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 78
I would guess that is antifreeze. It would take a high concentration to register on the tester but not much to color water like that. How does the color compare to the color of your antifreeze?

Checked antifreeze color

Good suggestion - just looked but it’s golden like auto coolant

Do you perhaps have a plastic ~1 Gallon tank/reservoir for salt neutralizing fluid for any part of your raw water cooling system? I do...and the fluid is blue.

Alternatively, check the bar to make sure your bottle of Blue Curacao is not cracked and leaking ;-

Do you perhaps have a plastic ~1 Gallon tank/reservoir for salt neutralizing fluid for any part of your raw water cooling system? I do...and the fluid is blue.

Alternatively, check the bar to make sure your bottle of Blue Curacao is not cracked and leaking ;-
When I first saw the photo I thought maybe Koolaid. Otterpops?

Between the photo and Lou_tribal's "lagoon" comment, I just can't stop thinking of the old Ti-Dy-Bowl (or maybe some other brand of toilet tank fluid) commercials.

I know this is not a solid help comment, which I why I waited until you had lots of good suggestions. I just thought anyone else who remembered those* might get a chuckle.

*the commercials were set inside a toilet tank, which was full of the blue water; I think there was a thatched umbrella, and then a boat hove into view complete with little scale-sized captain. Island type music was playing.

Antifreeze is yellow

The antifreeze is yellow. There is a diesel heater and there is no generator. No plastic Salt neutralizing bottles visible.

I checked all the hand soaps and no blue in the little canister things I got at Costco. Shampoo only used in galley sink as too hard to wash long hair in shower. No additives to MSD lately. Haven’t been eating or drinking anything that blue. Will check liquor cabinet next.

Web search showed similar color as a copper acetate solution, and I’m thinking vinegar I used in shower may be the reason. But tracing down copper is next.

Last edited:
Just a thought I had my windshield washer reservoir split empty into the bilge

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom