Oils black, yet gold on dipstick!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sirlandsalot

Hi. I have a For Lehaman 80. I have. Been commenting to my wife each time I check the dipstick how clean the oil is....until I changed it, and it was black as night out the sump and filter......what is going on?

Hi. I have a For Lehaman 80. I have. Been commenting to my wife each time I check the dipstick how clean the oil is....until I changed it, and it was black as night out the sump and filter......what is going on?

Probably has to do with thickness of the oil on the stick. Next time you do an oil change, wipe the dip stick clean and then dip it in the waste oil container and see what it looks like.

Ted

Some engines the dipstick is in a tube so the oil in the tube does not mix well with the oil in the sump. Not sure about yours.

If you want it to mix, take dipstick out and put a piece of hose on the tube and blow on it. This will force oil out of the tube and what comes back in will be from the sump.

Also, a thin layer on the stick might look clear, but in a bucket it will look black. Dip the stick into the bucket of black oil and look at the stick. Might look "clear-ish" on the stick.

Good problem to have, really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom