New to the forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Husband and I are retired and now looking into doing the American Great Loop and also cruising to the islands in the Caribbean. We had a Motorhome and traveled full-time for over 2 years and now back in Seal Beach, CA and moving in April to Florida where we hopefully will find that perfect trawler to live full-time on. We just got back from Florida as we looked at a few boats but nothing wet our whistle! So far loving this group with lots of information as we joined several other groups to learn as much as we can and I did a quick online course for the basic Florida boating certification. My husband is quite good when it comes to Mechanical things as he has had many projects with cars, motorcycles and airplanes. The Ocean Boating experience is new to us as we have only owned smaller boats for the lakes. So we will be taking a boating hands on class when we arrive in Florida and find our perfect boat.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.
It may be worthwhile to web search for interesting boats, and where/ when possible, get aboard some possibilities at MDR, Long Beach, Newport, Dana Point, or San Diego to see how they might fit and feel to you.
The Florida boaters certificate course is online, and you could find some ABC (Power Squadron) classes near you also.
Chartering a boat of a make that interests you, with a training captain may also be a good idea, and may help you when you go to look for insurance.
Pau Hana, on this forum, and Jack Martin Associates in Solomons MD, are helpful with insurance info.
Boat Search 101, on this forum, and the make specific threads can point to owners thoughts of the positive and negative aspects of various boats.
Good luck. JohnS

Over the winter read the book "Honey let's get a boat" by the Stobs. It's like a Coast Pilot for your journey.

Also check out "Away from it all" by Sloane Wilson for a lighter view by a great author.

Your motorhome experience is excellent training for boat ownership. I have both.....

Welcome. What have you looked at that did not excite your interest?

Back
Top Bottom