getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobP

This is my first post, just registered.
My wife and I live in Tampa and have boated with our kids, now grown, pretty extensively on the west coast of FL and Caribbean. We've dreamed of getting a trawler and taking her from here to New England over about six months. March to September. We're looking for 42-48 feet, three cabins (kids and grands), galley up. If we love it we'd winter it up there and bring it back. If not, we'd sell. We wonder how practical it is to have a boat delivered to Tampa.
We also wonder if long term leasing is possible. We also wonder if anyone wants to lease/share their trawler, two weeks on/off kind of thing.
Lot's to learn!

Welcome to TF and good luck planning and realizing your future travels. For what you've described, a motorhome seems more practical. Did you consider that?

Greg.

Welcome. How about the reverse, purchase the boat up North then bring it back. Don't forget the Great Loop or whatever its called, I'm in the Wet Coast so types like me are ignorant of things boating east.

Welcome aboard. I am a little unclear on your travel pattern. By wintering the boat "up there" do you mean living aboard or winterizing the boat there instead of heading back south like many do?

42 feet will not likely provide you with three cabins, but 48 feet is probably beginning to get there.

Greg
Thanks for your kind and thoughtful suggestion. Although we’d love to hear about your motor home adventures sometime we don’t think that’s a fit for us.
Our March through September thinking is to follow the best weather, winter in the south, spring in mid-Atlantic, summer in New England.

"We wonder how practical it is to have a boat delivered to Tampa."

Welcome. How about the reverse, purchase the boat up North then bring it back. Don't forget the Great Loop or whatever its called, I'm in the Wet Coast so types like me are ignorant of things boating east.

Welcome aboard.
I think maybe you missed the point by rsn48 -
He is suggesting don't worry about "having a boat delivered" - just DIY and make it your first cruise. If it's up north enjoy it there for a season and then decide whether you really want to bring it south or not.

I understand but would prefer to do any repairs and learning here if possible.

Certainly a good plan to take 6 months from Tampa to New England. Probably tough to sell the boat in the fall in New England, which may mean hauling, wintering and storing it up there. Certainly possible to pay to have it moved South, but cost is going to be in 5 figures. You and your wife moving it South after the kids and grandchildren leave could be 6 to 8 weeks depending on weather and daily travel. It's also possible to do the trip South in segments. Getting below Norfolk, VA pretty much eliminates winterizing unless an abnormally cold one.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom