Tug dreaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjtemplin

Howdy all...I've popped my head into a few threads and figure I should probably make an introduction. Call me Pete...I'm a 40-something guy doing computer networking at Microsoft plus several side hustles in networking, photography, and personal development. Dreaming of a tug in the near future...here to soak up what I can and chime in on rare occasion.

Welcome aboard from a fellow photographer & Tug-Dude :thumb:

Last edited:
Welcome PJ. I'm just down the road from you in Snohomish.

As you're probably aware, Ranger, Nordic and American Tugs are all made right here in the PNW, so you're certainly in tug country. If you want opinions on Rangers, hit me up!

Welcome to Trawler Forum.

Tug
a small, powerful boat used for towing larger boats and ships, especially in harbour

Is that what you have????

Let's call them what they really are, not what the marketing department makes up.

Let's call them what they really are, not what the marketing department makes up.

Hey now, I use my Ranger 27 to haul gravel barges up and down the Sound all the time!

You have a Milkraft? Are the cows milked aboard or is your vessel just designed to deliver packaged milk products? Being a raft, it must be engineless...do you need tugs to go anywhere? :socool:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. As Toki said, many "tug" brands built locally. Nordic and American Tugs were designed by the same man, use slightly different hulls, and are solidly built, and are operated by almost all owners at hull speed. Ranger are more lightly built, and more often run at planing speed. Of course there are other brands like Sundowner, Lord Nelson, etc. Good luck on your search.
Simi,
Why would it upset you to call a boat (model) by a part of it's brand (company) name? My boat is a Nordic Tug (brand) 37 (model), affectionately called a "Tug" by most owners and other local boaters. I almost always (daily) get comments from other boaters walking by (when at dock). Things like: "I really like your Tug", or "that Tug would be my "dream boat"". No it is not, and never has been a "commercial" tug. Many Kadey Krogen owners call their boats a "Krogen". I hope that is not upsetting? :) As Murray says, your boat does not look like a "raft", so why call it that? :)
Now we are trying to pick the "fly sh_t" out of the pepper corns.

Buy a boat with the interior room that you need for living well. I am not a fan of tugs because they typically have narrow cabins and little bow flare and I will not be pushing barges. The recreational tug is just marketing BS.

I tend to disagree with those saying that the tug moniker is marketing BS. Do the majority of us trawl large nets behind our boats as commercial fishermen?

I would say the tug is a very recognizable design in recreational boats. Those with well rounded sterns and bows, usually with low freeboard. I would suggest that we all recognize a recreational tug design when we see one, even from a distance.

Simi, you need to wind yer neck in!! :D

Hey, somebody else from Duvall. Let me know if you want to get together, distancing of course, and talk about boating.

Trawler is all marketing bs as well. Would you buy a boat just because it was called a rocket ship or how about pirate ship or maybe gun boat?

Trawler is all marketing bs as well. Would you buy a boat just because it was called a rocket ship or how about pirate ship or maybe gun boat?
No I would not buy a boat based solely on it's brand name (because it was somehow "catchy" as opposed to it's builder reputation), but likewise, I would not avoid a boat just because I didn't like the sound (or meaning (to a point)) of the brand name.:eek:
I agree with Menzies! :thumb: Don't like the "Tug" look or marketing, then don't buy one. Lots of other choices.:whistling:

Then there's the Swift Trawler! :D

Tugs are OK. Actually my favorite boat is a NT 32.
But IMO there’s nothing tuggy about Rangers. Planing hulls are so far removed from tug boats (actual) that the name falls totally flat for me. All these boats are cruisers. Heavy Cruisers and that’s what they were called in the 50’s. They didn’t call Monk boats trawlers, trollers or tugs.
A boat like a NT is heavier than a Carver or Bayliner. It’s a heavy cruiser. But trawler is so entrenched we may as well call heavy cruisers trawlers. But IMO “Tug” should be deleted and the silly “smokestacks” deleted as well.
We’re all trawlers except those that aren’t ... like Rangers.

Having said that you probably think I don’t like Rangers. Not true. Ranger has been in the boat business since the 60’s. The best and most beautiful FG canoe ever built was the Ranger canoe. They didn’t design it though. It was a product of a man named “Willist” and I’m almost sure I’ve got the spelling wrong. There usta be 50+ Willitz canoes in the U of Wash canoe house. All the same 17’ double planked cedar canoe. Great boat. Ranger made a FG replica from an old Willitz canoe.

If the Ranger tug style cruiser’s quality is much like the canoe they built it will be a very good boat indeed. But not a tug. There are Pleasure tugboats that are mostly small .. as in 14’ or so and many are rather stupid looking ... powered by many different kinds of engines very few being diesel. And mostly build in garages.

A boat becomes a trawler when it is heavier than typical cruisers like a Carver, Bayliner or other similar boats. And heavier limits speed as does sizable keels. Again the Ranger is’t a trawler. A pure planing hull w no significant keel. Personally I think trawlers should have some rocker but many don’t.

But the Ranger “Tug” is (as far as I know .. is a good boat). But it’s style that promotes people to call them a tug. Mostly or entirely just the imitation “stack” on the roof. I know no other feature that makes them “tug” in any way. And they should be compared to other cruisers with very similar hull design and weight.

Oh I should add that the classification issue Ranger Tug and all other cruisers that wish to post on TF are very welcome to do so.
So welcome to TF

Last edited:
The Nordic Tug was designed in the '70s following years of gas shortages and price increases. We could only buy gas on alternate days based on the last digit of our license plate. The story I was told (maybe myth??) is that the designers were looking to design and market a boat that would sell in this environment. "What looks good going slow?" drove the decision for hull style and "tug" moniker. My NT 37 does go slow and operates efficiently, just as the designers intended. We generally cruise at 7.5 knots and burn 1.8 gph.

Wow, PJ's introduction sure took a detour!

A agree, the Ranger is by no means a "tug". Neither is the Nordic, American, or any of the other pleasure boats that are kinda sorta shaped like little tugs. But they all do share a distinctive style that's different than your average cruiser or trawler. High topsides, raised pilothouse, curved expansive windshields etc. So we call them tugs. It's a lot easier than saying "High-topsides-raised-pilothouse-curved-expansive-windshields-boats". If calling it a tug offends people, well, maybe they can seek therapy to deal with their emotions.

One correction on the Ranger High-topsides-raised-pilothouse-curved-expansive-windshields-boats, the "classic" (inboard diesel) models are considered semi-planing hulls. And I've got to say, it works! I can displace at 7 knots and sip less than 2 gal/hr, or I can plane at 14 knots if I'm OK with the fuel burn. Of course, anything in between those two speeds is a waste.

Now the newer outboard Rangers with full planing hulls ... even I'm having trouble calling them tugs!

If you look at Toki's post - #8 - for guidance, when you get your beloved boat make sure to add a bimini to cover the entire cockpit as seen on Toki's boat. But also add soft walls that can roll down.

With this configuration you can extend your cruising into fall, winter and spring and be sitting in the cockpit on the hook in wretched rain and still be very comfortable. With the walls down in the off season, I often sleep in the cockpit with a blow up twin mattress so my guests can use the V birth and dinette bed. And I have done this in late September with brisk wind and rain and remained dry and good to go.

Welcome aboard neighbor and fellow photographer.

We live near Echo Lake and have a Nordic Tug at the Everett marina. We moved up to the NT after five years with a 32' cruiser with flybridge. Our NT is about 50% heavier and tracks well in high winds and seas. And, of course, have adopted the 7 knot lifestyle. It's great.

If you would like to have a closer look at a NT, feel free to PM.

BTW, early in my career, did some coding in assembler. It was scary.

Cheers,

Toki,
There is or was a Red Ranger at Laconner that had a full and very curved fwd windshield and the anchor was hung in a hawse hole all below the sheer line. Both features I’d welcome on my own boat. Wouldn’t wanna have-to replace that classy windshield $$.

I even like the running lights that have seen some bad press.

I may have seen you underway in Saratoga Passage ??

I tend to disagree with those saying that the tug moniker is marketing BS. Do the majority of us trawl large nets behind our boats as commercial fishermen?

I would say the tug is a very recognizable design in recreational boats. Those with well rounded sterns and bows, usually with low freeboard. I would suggest that we all recognize a recreational tug design when we see one, even from a distance.

Simi, you need to wind yer neck in!! :D

Having spent most of my working life as a boatbuilder I call them what they are based on hull shape, displacement and maths.
NOT what the marketing dept says

And yes, ours most definitely used to pull large nets behind her as a commercial fishing vessel.

Last edited:
Having spent most of my working life as a boatbuilder I call them what they are based on hull shape, displacement and maths.
NOT what the marketing dept says

And yes, ours most definitely used to pull large nets behind her as a commercial fishing vessel.

I said the "majority of us."

Watch you don't fall off, it's a long way down! :D

Simi...I'm still waiting to find out what deck the cows live on? ;)

What do you think of Diesel Ducks?

Duck is the common name for numerous species in the waterfowl family Anatidae which also includes swans and geese...

Last edited:
Simi...I'm still waiting to find out what deck the cows live on? ;)

Milkraft is the name of the yard that built her - not a description of the type of vessel but I'm sure you already know this. ;)

What do you think of Diesel Ducks?

Never really looked into them nor seen one in real life.

Last edited:
Milkraft is the name of the yard that built her - not a description of the type of vessel but I'm sure you already know this. ;)

Yup...pulling your leg & trying to make a point. Names and marketing are meaningless; it's the vessel that counts.

...and according to boat magazine marketing, if I gain 40 pounds and go bald I have to get one of those huge *bling* boats with a flybridge (they apparently come with giggling bikini clad young ladies) that can force itself on plane and rip along at a speed great enough to rip out dentures.

Wow, and yes, welcome to the forum Pete, from another Pete. I think your intro post just set a record for the most responses to a simple "Hi, I'm thinking of a boat one day, and I like tugs..."

So much so I almost felt the need to move it from the 'Welcome Mat' section and put it with the Tugs..! Then I thought better of that. Don't take that other Aussie Simi too seriously, he's really just a big, cuddly, teddybear kind of guy, but we do have to wash his mouth out sometimes.:D

Back
Top Bottom