Wifi device for monitoring AC power???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wdeertz

Vessel Name
Bagus
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 52-01
Went to the boat yesterday a week after the tropical storm passed and my shore power pedestal breaker had tripped. This seems to happen a few times per year from power surges or nearby lightning strikes. Fortunately I installed a low voltage sensor which cuts DC power and saves my batteries from completely discharging. Unfortunately this also leads to the refrigerator contents spoiling due to lack of power.

I've searched the forum and googled the web but can't find a simple device to report AC status changes (on to off or off to on). My router and 4G modem are powered by the 12v batteries so all I need is a simple device (that has battery backup so it can send the message once AC power goes off) that plugs into an AC outlet and sends an email via wifi (no need for cellular) to let me know the power has either gone off or been restored.

The boat is only a 5 minute drive away so with a notification its a simple exercise to check on the power if known. Anyone aware of a simple and inexpensive device that will achieve what I am looking for?

I've seen the entire boat monitoring systems but this is more than I really want or need and most of these have a monthly monitoring fee since they include cellular connectivity.

I use a floathub (www.floathub.com).

Not really doing much with it so far. Haven't gotten REALLY into all of it yet, but it works good for GPS geofencing and ambient (in the boat) temperatures right out of the box so far.

Has lots of inputs and capability for a low price.

Attachments

• floathub1 (Large).jpg
    floathub1 (Large).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 25
  • floathub2 (Large).jpg
    floathub2 (Large).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 30
You could install a wifi camera aimed at the meters. Cheap and easy.

https://www.isocket3g.com/us/

Might not be exactly what you want , but looks like it would work. No experience with this, just found it online.

Thanks for the lead on this item. It would meet 100% of my needs if it was wifi instead of cellular but if I can't find this sort of item this item may be a good alternative.

You could install a wifi camera aimed at the meters. Cheap and easy.

Thanks for the idea, I already have a wifi camera installed so this is a real possibility. Only problem with your suggestion is that it would require me to periodically check the camera before the battery died to see that the AC power has gone off. I've seen inexpensive devices (about $15) that sound an alarm when the AC power goes out. I could setup an alarm on my wifi camera to listen for a loud audio sound and send me an email notification when this occurs. Only problem with this is my slip neighbors might not like hearing a loud screeching noise at 3am (if thats when the power goes off).:ermm:

I use a samsung smartthings system for my alarm and monitoring.

The photo below is a live screen shot. I am currently at home 120 miles away but I KNOW all is well on my boat.

Attachments

• 63AC1AC2-86F7-4F4F-A610-D7FA11C734F7.jpg
    63AC1AC2-86F7-4F4F-A610-D7FA11C734F7.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 27
A little outside the box here......since you're in sunny FLA, would a solar panel be able to keep up with your refridgerator ? Its probably a bigger initial expense, but has other added benefits.

The method we us isn't as straightforward as what you are envisioning. When our Xantrex inverter had a meltdown earlier this Spring, we replaced it with a Victron Inverter/Charger. We also purchased a Victron remote module (Cerbo) that can provide us status updates on the system via WiFi; it is configured to send us a warning email if the Server has not received a data update from the boat in the last 30 minutes. If we receive the warning email, we know that there is an issue with either the power supply or the marina WiFi.

A little outside the box here......since you're in sunny FLA, would a solar panel be able to keep up with your refridgerator ? Its probably a bigger initial expense, but has other added benefits.

Thanks, I do have solar panels and on a sunny day it is just about enough to meet my refrigeration needs, however, with the storm passing I had them in their stored position (vertical) so they didn't get caught in the wind. Fortunately the storm was a non-event.

Back
Top Bottom