What kind of boat is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slider443

Does anyone know what kind of boat this is?

Attachments

• 5D05F617-297F-4127-A447-CC00A10D50F7.jpg
    5D05F617-297F-4127-A447-CC00A10D50F7.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 97
Albin 36 I believe
Harry

Albin 36 Express Trawler. They are great boats! Ben

In the past I've been made fun of for having forward-leaning pilothouse windows. Hope that phase has passed.

Attachments

• turning from berth.jpg
    turning from berth.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 72
In the past I've been made fun of for having forward-leaning pilothouse windows. Hope that phase has passed.

You can blame Marin for that Mark. I think he came up with the term 'wannabe windows' for the forward raked type. He actually quite liked them I think.

I'm pretty sure that the accepted term is "North Sea Windows".

Speaking of window glare inside the pilothouse at night (the whole reason forward slanted windows were invented), has anyone ever tried a clear anti-glare film on their windows inside?

Well, Mark, you never heard that from me as I've always thought that "North Sea windows" make the most sense. (They cut down most of the glare on your instruments.):thumb:

Here's an example of a boat with "North Sea" windows that I've always admired.

Attachments

• Coot.jpg
    Coot.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 48
You can blame Marin for that Mark. I think he came up with the term 'wannabe windows' for the forward raked type. He actually quite liked them I think.

Did you have to mention the " M " word?.

It has been so nice here since that name faded into obscurity.

Our world is a better place

HOLLYWOOD

Reactions: Art
Did you have to mention the " M " word?.

It has been so nice here since that name faded into obscurity.

Our world is a better place

HOLLYWOOD
Oh come on... Marin could be a contrarian on just about any subject. Kept otherwise dead threads alive.

I gobbled up Marin's posts like candy when Grand Banks was at the top of my shopping list. He was pretty thorough on that topic. Did something happen to him?

I gobbled up Marin's posts like candy when Grand Banks was at the top of my shopping list. He was pretty thorough on that topic. Did something happen to him?
:nonono:

IMO, got too big for his boots; guess he decided to "trip" [pun intended] on outa here at 10K posts. Made a couple brief guest appearances thereafter. Trouble for him was: Not enough TFers would agree with nor applaud him anymore! Last I heard he was sequestered in Grand Banks forum... probably continuing to spout uncalled for innuendos. :nonono:

He's greatly intelligent... just ask him! :ermm:

As you can tell by this crystal clear, innuendo filled statement of mine - we did not get along. :facepalm:

I would not be surprised if he still keeps handle on TF threads. May hear from him sooner or later...

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see that side but then I was only reading posts from yesteryear in the "Grand Banks" sub-forum.

On a related note: Sadly, the (non-TF) dedicated Grand Banks forum seems to have gone bye-bye, taking the extensive archives with it.

First of all - I greatly appreciate the actual sea keeping reason for forward raking North Sea Windows. Although, just for appearance sake, I better like the rear leaning windshield look... I would like our Tolly to have the forward leaners.

As has been mentioned in other posts: For pleasure boats their usefulness of keeping sun-glare off the helm gauges is a useful feature... but that's certainly not their initially intended feature.

The reason this forward rake windshield design came into vogue for ocean going vessels is depicted in its words "North Sea Windows" - you know - The North Sea where storms often create horrendous breaking wave sea conditions - over the bow.

Forward leaning window rake was accomplished for deterrence of breaking waves smashing down onto and through rear leaning windows.

Last edited:
This style of windows seems common in air traffic control towers as well, so I would think the rain/snow accumulation benefits are significant as well as wave intrusion prevention.

My previous boat (Refugio) had them - almost no rain hit them and they stayed very clean. No leakage either. More space overhead for electronics. Less heat load. Larger roof for carrying kayaks. Only downside was I had to occasionally dust the inside. ;)

My previous boat (Refugio) had them - almost no rain hit them and they stayed very clean. No leakage either. More space overhead for electronics. Less heat load. Larger roof for carrying kayaks. Only downside was I had to occasionally dust the inside. ;)

Make, size, style, year of previous boat? Photos?? :popcorn:

#1 reason for reverse rake glass is glare, both inside and out

HOLLYWOOD

Reverse rake would be nice for glare and drainage. My windows are raked back about 45 degrees, so they drain slowly if you get a bunch of water on them (fortunately they're up high enough that a blast of solid water big enough to break them would be hard to do). Therefore, good wipers are critical. And sun glare is an issue at times. They're fine at night though, as they're set pretty far forward from the helm (tops of the windows are about 2 feet forward of the helm), so nothing throws glare on them at night.

Back
Top Bottom