Helm remotes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OldDan1943

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinja
Vessel Make
American Tug 34 #116 2008
I am considering a remote to assist in single handing anchoring, helm control, gears, throttle and thrusters.
Basically, a ‘second helm station’
Electronic: Raymarine E120
Two possibilities:
Wireless
Wired
Suggestions and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Wireless, Yacht Controller but $$$$

If you have Mathers Controls, They make a wired remote that can be ordered with thruster controls.... $$

At one time, Side Power had a wireless remote control that had bow thruster, stern thruster and Anchor all on the same handset. Not sure if they still have it, but after considering it, I concluded that it would be a BAD idea to have this, as it would be too easy to hit one of the anchor buttons by accident while trying to maneuver with thrusters. Perhaps a remote with a better design might eliminate this risk? I just posted here because I thought it would be relevant to think about this when choosing your new solution.

At one time, Side Power had a wireless remote control that had bow thruster, stern thruster and Anchor all on the same handset. Not sure if they still have it, but after considering it, I concluded that it would be a BAD idea to have this, as it would be too easy to hit one of the anchor buttons by accident while trying to maneuver with thrusters. Perhaps a remote with a better design might eliminate this risk? I just posted here because I thought it would be relevant to think about this when choosing your new solution.
I installed the Side Power wireless for B & S. They did show the anchor option when I was looking.
I dont think anchor would be a problem if you leave the windless main power off unless you want to use it.

A friend has Yacht Controller on his 2014 Horizon Power Cat 52. I believe it ties into his Cummins/ZF transmission controllers which is probably the expensive part of the system.

Last year the remote control died. Batteries swelled and destroyed the contacts and thus the whole unit (a problem I struggle with now that I live in Florida). Replacement was expensive - at least $1k.

But he does like the system. Good for his marriage too

Peter

I installed the Side Power wireless for B & S. They did show the anchor option when I was looking.
I dont think anchor would be a problem if you leave the windless main power off unless you want to use it.

I ended up with the Side Power wireless for B&S. Love it, but on rare occasion, handling lines with the remote hanging on my neck, I've accidentally hit a thruster button. No big deal. Makes me glad I don't have a "drop anchor" button on there, however!

Yes, I could have the master power switch to the windlass shut off when not in use and that would eliminate the risk of such a remote. But for me, that master shut off controls both the bow thruster and the windless, since they operate off a single "dedicated" battery in the bow.

Last year the remote control died. Batteries swelled and destroyed the contacts and thus the whole unit (a problem I struggle with now that I live in Florida). Replacement was expensive - at least $1k.

Peter

Can you send in the hand held remote in for repair?

I am told, have not tried, white vinegar and a gentle brushing of the contacts will help with that.

Can you send in the hand held remote in for repair?

I am told, have not tried, white vinegar and a gentle brushing of the contacts will help with that.
I don't think it was repairable. Problem is the battery swells and leaks a little and eats the metal tangs. This is not unique to Yacht Master but seems to be a feature of living in Florida. I moved here 15 years ago from California and have destroyed more remote controls and battery operated stuff than I can shake a stick at. Most recent victim was a multi meter that I hadn't used in at least a year. I try to remember to remove batteries when the device will sit for a while.

Super annoying.

Peter

I do a LOT of single handling and have a single engine with remote bow and stern thruster, and occasionally use them for docking, and they work well. Zero issues when bow in.

Stern in is a bit more of a challenge, especially with wind/current.

Have the Glendinning dual controls and if I wish to add one in the cockpit, it would only be $1 boat unit and easy to install. And that would be all I'd need for stern in. Really don't use steering much, especially the last several feet.

Yacht Controller

Dan, I requested a quote from Yacht Controller at the 2019 Seattle boat show. It was for a 04 Function Dual Band Yacht Controller, single ZF transmission, bow & stern thruster control and install: $13.5K. I think they have reduced their prices a bit since then, it looks like a nice unit but I cannot justify. I just finished installing a wireless remote for the bow an stern thrusters, about $410 for remote and materials, my labor is free. I think this will help a lot with single handling. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Yacht Controller prices:
Remote and dual electronic controls
two station $6900 hardware, I install

Additional for a remote:

Remote available $12K

I would bet the install would not be hard. Similar to the Glendinning. Will take some time, but doable for a reasonably smart weekend mechanic that can follow the instructions.

I had a YC system on the previous boat, and this one. It was painful to write That check. They are very proud of their gear. But, it has been paying itself off by being very useful. I single hand and travel a fair amount to other marinas. Having the engine thrust to adjust the boat position along with the thrusters is a good thing when it’s blowing hard and you are standing on the dock by yourself with a line in your hand and no one on the boat.

SeeVee, I inquired about installation and when I received the quote, they would not sell without their installation tech. I just got a quote for a 6 function wireless remote to replace the wired remote on our dinghy crane and is is $2k. Still noodling on that one.

Fletcher: That sounds like a nice setup on your boat!

I ended up with the Side Power wireless for B&S. Love it, but on rare occasion, handling lines with the remote hanging on my neck, I've accidentally hit a thruster button. No big deal. Makes me glad I don't have a "drop anchor" button on there, however!

Yes, I could have the master power switch to the windlass shut off when not in use and that would eliminate the risk of such a remote. But for me, that master shut off controls both the bow thruster and the windless, since they operate off a single "dedicated" battery in the bow.

An anchor button that requires holding it for 3-5 seconds before responding is all it takes.

An anchor button that requires holding it for 3-5 seconds before responding is all it takes.
Agree! A feature like that would eliminate my concern.

ZF / Mathers Remote Safety Lanyard

I get a lot out of Trawler Forum. Sometimes humor, sometimes helpful maintenance or operation info.

When I read this thread a couple days ago, Ka_sea_ta posted (#2) about the Mathers wired remote. That was original equipment on my 2001 boat and has never worked for me or the prior owner. Not surprising for a 19 yo device. I googled Mathers to see if they had a new model, pretty sure it would be $$$. I only saw marketing for my old unit and, surprisingly, it featured a Safety Lanyard. Hmmm...I have no lanyard; never saw a "hole" for it.

The back of my Handheld Remote had 2 mounting holes to attach the unit to a surface, I assumed. But, no! The lower hole is for a magnetic "Locking Key"!

I put a couple small magnets on a key ring and tried it out. Perfect! Now I have remote throttles that reach the cockpit and the bow. Next, I'll try to get the bow thruster switch on the Mathers Remote working.

My Roberson (Simrad) Autopilot has a wired remote, as well, that can be set to Follow-Up mode to control rudder angle. If I can get the thruster online I will have a cockpit docking station for backing into slips! As long as I don't trip over the cables...

Attachments

• 20200813_115056.jpg
    20200813_115056.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Safety Lanyard.JPG
    Safety Lanyard.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 21
There was a similar thread a few months ago, specifically about wireless helm controllers, which prompted us to do a write-up on our experience with Yacht Controller. It answers some of the common questions people have about it and will hopefully be of help to anyone who wants to better understand how it works and what's involved in an installation (or at least what was for us).
You'll find the article here.

Good luck with this endeavor Dan!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom