Protecting the dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R lucky

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Fortunate Sun
Vessel Make
42' Grand Banks M/Y
Hi All, I have a 45 lb. dog who is now getting adventurous enough to leave the salon on his own and walk up to join us on the aft deck or flybridge when we are anchored or moored. This is a bit concerning as I have a full beam aft deck that is surrounded by just two stainless rails at 2' and 4' above the deck. He has a PFD but it's uncomfortable for him to lie around in and it's a pita continually putting it on and taking it off.

I really don't want full canvas if I can avoid it (It'll destroy a great view from the salon) but I'm considering netting. I'd appreciate any and all thoughts.

Thanks!

Lucky

Netting seems well worthwhile and won’t look bad at all. Gotta look out for the dog since he doesn’t likely understand the risks.

Thank you

Hi and thank you. It looks like netting is plan A for the moment. He actually does know the risks, but a sudden roll can make the most surefooted among us stumble.

Speaking of stumbling . . .

Our dog has been boating with us since a pup, starting ~13 years ago on our family ski boat, always wearing a PFD when on the boat. The dog loves the water and boating. When we got the big boat 5 years ago, the dog was just as confident and comfortable, though the steps were steep and everything outdoors was slippery when wet. That didn't bother the dog for a few years, but at about 10 YO, she started slipping and becoming uncomfortable on the boat. I securely but temporarily carpeted the worst spots that weren't already covered with anti-slip, inside and outside stairs and landings, house entrances and exits, shore/boat interfaces, etc. I left most of the large outside deck areas as they were, finding the anti-skid paint adequate.

Now that she's 13, she slips on everything. This season, I found her pinned to the foredeck with all 4 legs stretched out. I hadn't realized that she'd become that unsteady and regretted letting that happen. She still likes boating and hates not being part of the pack's activities, but her age, infirmities, and lack of confidence moving around the boat have required us to leave her at home or at a kennel for some outings.

My message is that if you want your dog as a boating companion throughout his/her lifetime, go ugly early. Treat the whole boat, inside and out, wherever the dog roams, with the necessary anti-skid, carpet, etc. to keep the dog sure-footed and confident whatever age it might be when on the boat.

I hope you and your canine companion have many happy boating years ahead!

Greg.

A dog should be wearing a PFD. If its too uncomfortable, try a different one. Kids (and adults) sometime say they are uncomfortable too. Too bad.
If conditions warrant it, they need to be worn.

Our dog confidently moves around the boat, but still has gone overboard while underway. Without a PFD, it would be very difficult to retrieve her in some conditions.

We don't normally keep a PFD on our dog (becomes an issue for him in hot weather), but we also don't let him off the upper aft deck without it (ours isn't full width like the GB M/Y). If he's anywhere else on the boat, he's got a PFD on in place of his normal harness.

For the slipping and sliding concern, he's not very careful about slippery surfaces, so he wears sneakers on the boat. He got used to them pretty quickly and loves them now, as he's got all the grip he could want on any surface, so he's very confident when moving around.

Obligatory picture included.

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_114546.jpg
    IMG_20200628_114546.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 82
Where did you get the sneakers or are they home made?

My dog max is pretty good. He has become more adventurous over the last year. Netting is a splendid idea, cost effective and very easy to make.

I got him used to a pdf early on. The engine starts and he will dance around in circles until I put it on him. He even wears it when he is not driving. :D

Attachments

• 86B0095A-5BF3-43BE-BF46-F4C23F759C50.jpg
    86B0095A-5BF3-43BE-BF46-F4C23F759C50.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 51
We probably have the only Labrador Retreiver in the world that can't swim. He loves the water and wades in the river deep enough for his shoulders to get wet but won't go beyond that. He loves being wet and his favorite activity in life is going after our sprinklers when they are on. I'm not sure if he likes getting wet or getting a rub down afterwards to dry him off.

Since we're selling the boat I won't have to worry about him going overboard but my big concern is him falling in the pool. He's falling in twice and both times I had to go in and rescue him. He just doesn't get the part where he has to "dog paddle" with his front and back legs at the same time.

Last night we were enjoying a beautiful evening by the pool. He was sitting at the edge of the pool and was close enough that his tail was in the water. He didn't fall in but I was ready in case he did.

Last edited:
While there's no right or wrong answer, I can't imagine a pet on board without a flotation device 24/7. You are responsible for keeping them safe. They are helpless if they start to fall over board. You'll never say to yourself, they wouldn't be dead (drowning is a horrible way to go) if only I kept a pfd on him/her. Sorry for being graphic but those are hard truths.

I have a Springer Spaniel who is three. At first I thought she would be okay with just a jacket on. But I read of a dog that jumped off a moving boat. The engine had backfired and scared the dog. The dog was never recovered. I could see my dog doing this so along with the jacket I tie her to a long lead from the dinette post. We usually are underway for 4 hours or so and she sleeps in a dog bed for her under the dinette most of the time.

I have a Springer Spaniel who is three. At first I thought she would be okay with just a jacket on. But I read of a dog that jumped off a moving boat. The engine had backfired and scared the dog. The dog was never recovered. I could see my dog doing this so along with the jacket I tie her to a long lead from the dinette post. We usually are underway for 4 hours or so and she sleeps in a dog bed for her under the dinette most of the time.

We have friends whose dog jumped off the boat underway. Thankfully, he was recovered quickly with no harm done. They think he probably chased a seal.

As a result they bought one of the Weems & Plath CrewWatchers (we have them in our store: https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com/products/weems-plath-crewwatcher-mob). Now they don't worry as much, since the CrewWatcher will set off the alarm if he again goes overboard. Which, they figure, he will!

Attachments

• CrewWatcherPet.jpg
    CrewWatcherPet.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 54
Netting is the best way. It lets the wind and water pass thru and holds up longer than canvas.
How it's done on a destroyer.

Attachments

• Life line netting.jpg
    Life line netting.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 70
Hi Everyone, thank you for the thoughtful comments, I appreciate it and I got the message. My dog is always tethered on the F/B with us when we're underway. It's when we're on a mooring that this has come up. I will definitely enclose the aft deck so that it's secure for him to walk around. I've been looking at this https://www.sailrite.com/Phifertex-Mesh-Navy-Blue-G01-54 It allows air and water through and seems to have good visibility through as well (check the pics on their site). It'll be secure enough to protect the dog if he falls against it. I'll post pics of the final resolution.

Lucky

Sounds good. A harness vs collar will allow you to get him out of the water. Collars are supposed to slip off so a pet can't hang themselves.

protecting the puppy

we have been using the same product for years, we attach ours to the fly bridge rail by using brass grommets every 10 " and using 3/16 nylon cording
thru the grommets and around the rail for the top support . The bottom and sides I ran a 3/8 nylon rope secured at the bottom of the up right stanchion.
then using the same 3/16 cord thru the grommet and around the 3/8 rope.
When we cut the plastic we left an extra 2" at the top, bottom and sides folded over to hold the grommets like a hem. Hope this helps.

Netting is the best way. It lets the wind and water pass thru and holds up longer than canvas.
How it's done on a destroyer.

Lepke, I maybe one of the few here to understand how old that fo'c'sl on that straight-stick DD is and how much you are showing your age.:D

gotta love and watch over those little family members, particularly the older, less nimble ones. Just so sweet and innocent - all they want to do is be part of the pack.

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a dog to relieve themself on the deck when underway?

Yes. choose a soft artificial grass mat. At home, place it on their favorite pee spot. Once you get the to relieve themselves on the turf, you can move it to the boat. Lots of positive reinforcement including treats if that works. Cheers.

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a dog to relieve themself on the deck when underway?

We started when our dog was 8 weeks old by telling him every time we took him out, “go on and go to the bathroom”. It doesn’t really matter what you say but say the same thing every time he goes to pee. Now when we take him out and say the phrase he starts looking for a place to go and then immediately goes. We tell him to “go on and go poop” when it is time for poop. Then we took some astro turf and cut it into 2’ x 4’ pieces and laid them on the ground and said the phrase for pee and held the leash so he could only go on the turf. After several times of going on the turf and not washing it off but just letting it dry on the turf to keep the smell on the turf we took the turf onto the boat. It took a while to get him to use the turf on the boat but eventually he did. We have pee pads that we can put under the turf to absorb the pee in case he can’t use the bow of the boat to go. We then take the turf and hang it on the bow rail and hose it off with the seawater washdown and the deck also.

You just have to hold out longer than they do. Merlin can hold it for 36 hours...

Attachments

• tinky.jpg
    tinky.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 37
  • potty.jpg
    potty.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 208
Oh, and here's where us rednecks have an advantage. Our dog doesn't wear a harness or life jacket. He's allowed to come and go as he pleases while we're at anchor. In fact, he'll even swim ashore and back on his own to go potty.

Attachments

• IMAG0544.jpg
    IMAG0544.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 40
  • e4.jpg
    e4.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 207
On our previous sailboat we used netting along the lifelines for our kids and pets. Works well but would periodically need to be replaced because of appearance or age.
On our mainship 47 we had plexiglass 1/2 doors made to keep our dog off of the walk around deck but allow her to roam the aft deck, bridge and remainder of the boat.
Regarding pet bodily functions, we have had many days of 8-9+ hours in transit with walks before and after with no issues but have never been able to train the dog to go on the boat

Our last dog was a 122 pound Lab. He could and would go 36 hours if you made a change to where and how he had to go. Our vet said no problem that they would finally go when they had to. Our current little lab was much easier to train since we had him from a puppy. He loves to go on the boat. We have to put in fenders on the side decks to keep him off the bow when we are underway.

Dogs on board

Your only choice is netting.
And a vest. Period ! You, are uncomfortable not your dog. Animals don’t have a choice if they are put in a position to drown.
We have two large bouvier deflanders , 100# each. One fell in the water at the dock, getting on the boat. She was 3 fingers over and out on an island treading water. We put life jackets on on the boat. Not any more. At the car before the dock.

If this is unreasonable board them at a Vet office.
Sorry I can’t give you any slack.
Respectfully
Captain R.

My GSD is a pretty good swimmer, and can remain afloat for WAY longer than I would attempt. ie she enjoys swimming and will happily swim at the beach for quite some time, chasing the ball or not. I don't typically put a PFD on her while on the big boat, unless conditions are rough. On the tender, she wears it regularly (and has fallen overboard once - mostly my fault). The MOST important thing about a PFD for your dog isn't that it will help him/her swim, it's the HANDLE on the back that will allow you to lift him/her back aboard!

Last edited:
I put some stainless steel wires between the rails about 120mm apart on my boat.
I only put them in the lower section.
Looks better than mesh and was pretty easy.
Might work for you?

The MOST important thing about a PFD for your dog isn't that it will help him/her swim, it's the HANDLE on the back that will allow you to lift him/her back aboard!

Definitely this! Whenever our dog isn't wearing his PFD, he's wearing his harness so he still has a handle he can be lifted by. The PFD handle definitely lifts him better, as it lifts him far more evenly. But we did notice one flaw the one time we lifted him that way. It's basically a last resort lifting method, as he can barely breathe while lifted like that (we heard most of the air leave his lungs when we lifted and he took a deep breath and gasped a little when we put him down).

Great discussion. Any suggestions on netting?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom