Need hot water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most folks? I don't think so, only those with, perhaps, smallish water tanks. Many boats have large or fairly large tanks. We did the Great Loop two years ago, not one Navy shower. We did shower efficiently but not miserly.
The propane heaters have an operational hassle. AS water is never unlimited mot folks will use the Navy shower system.

Wet down, soap up, then rinse the soap.

Usually the water is shut off while scrubbing and only turned back on to rinse.

The hassle is when there is no water flow the water heater burner shuts down , so the start of the rinse off is with cold water.

An ancient RV unit has a 6 or 10gallon tank , works fine , has 120v element for dockside.

A more modern RV unit has a tiny tank , but internal plumbing to keep the burner on.

Simple system is a funnel and hose leading to the FW tank.

The water can be left running so the temp is fine , at the cost of a bit of propane.

need for hot water

Tankless propane water heater. Camplux $200. Demand heater. Just need cold water feed and propane tank. Unlimited hot water. Buy on Amazon. Hook into water line or use with included hand sprayer.

In suggesting a Paloma i was not intending to endorse just Paloma.Any tankless propane water heater is fine as long as properly installed .Never
once have i had an "operational issue" with unit as has been suggested.
When tap is turned on a little cold water (in the line between tap and unit) goes in the kettle .Rest is as hot as you want for as long as you want. Obviously if your on a boat water has a limit as does fuel .If boaters have propane stoves inside their cabin why can't they have a hot water heater outside their cabin ? A trawler is a perfect fit for a tankless propane water heater imho.

The propane heaters have an operational hassle. AS water is never unlimited mot folks will use the Navy Shower system.

I've done it this way since the 50s. Both wife and I are advocates. Applies to guests too. In our case it obviates the need for running a water maker.

I've done it this way since the 50s. Both wife and I are advocates. Applies to guests too. In our case it obviates the need for running a water maker.

Looks great but what if there is no sun?
Original post was Anacortes which is same as Vancouver ,can be a tad chilly up here .Are you on Lake Powell ?

A simple way to get a house propane water heater to give painless showers is easy.

Fit a tub/ shower selector valve in the line.

In shower you get all the hot water as desired , in the tub position the hot water is dumped back into the FW tank.

No cold spells or temperature adjustment hassles , just a bit more propane used.

need for hot water

A simple way to get a house propane water heater to give painless showers is easy.

Fit a tub/ shower selector valve in the line.

In shower you get all the hot water as desired , in the tub position the hot water is dumped back into the FW tank.

No cold spells or temperature adjustment hassles , just a bit more propane used.
That's a great idea (selector valve) but as i said it (operational issue)has never been a problem for me .What is a FW tank ?

Wanted to give everyone an update on the "Need Hot Water" thread. It seems only fair that if the Trawler Forum folks chip in to give their thoughts and opinions, that the least I can do is keep you informed with what we have chosen.
I decided to go ahead with the Iso-Temp HWT model # 604023BD00003. This model has two heat exchangers so one will be fed by the engine coolant and the other by the Espar heater coolant. The third is an electric element for shore power. Please see the preliminary install photos.
Once the install is complete, I'll send more pictures.
Again, thanks to all who responded. Much appreciated.

Brent
MV Phase III

Attachments

• Phase III H2O Heater Location Potential.jpg
    Phase III H2O Heater Location Potential.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 33
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 32
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 33
Some solar charging setups are powerful enough to not need all day , and 12V DC will (slowly) create heat if hooked to the existing HW 12v element.

Plan B might be a bladder tank secured to the deck , booked as a source.

Sort of like a solar shower , but the output is routed inside.

I am fairly confident that the set we are putting in should do the trick.
Thanks for the suggestion. Would actually be a good back up.

Brent

Phase3
Just wondering if you are still happy with the new system and how it's been performing.
I am about to begin a similar project and curious what your experience has been so far.

Thanks for any reply.

Hey Tolly Roger
I wish I could give you more information as to how we like the set up but I can’t. There has been no interprovincial travel allowed due to Covid so we haven’t been able to get to Phase III.
I am very confident it will work well. It is simple and straightforward and in today’s boating world that is refreshing.
We figure that the Espar should heat the hot water in about 20 minutes Max so even in the summer this shouldn’t cause issues as the fans can be turned off on the coils.
We will likely be out on the boat in April and I’ll be able to give you a better idea then.

Brent

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom