bulkhead mount blower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ORIF

Vessel Name
TAMI II
Vessel Make
Tollycraft, 44 CPMY
Does anyone know a source for a blower with the mounting style pictured below?

All options I'm finding have the mounts on the side like the Rule model pictured.
I need to mount straight to the bulkhead.

This is mounted on the aft bulkhead of my lazarette where my generator lives. Gets pretty hot in there.

Attachments

• IMG_2345.jpg
    IMG_2345.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 9.23.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 9.23.08 PM.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 42
Could you use a flange mount squirrel cage blower? Looks like the size might be a problem.

Attachments

• 3263C6F4-F8FB-487B-8703-92B2EB323DAF.jpeg
    3263C6F4-F8FB-487B-8703-92B2EB323DAF.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 157
Looking at it that looks like a home brewed one ( Just seeing the wire plus the glue on wire entry and fan brackets).
If you want a 12 fan with flange this should not be difficult to find.
Some example:

https://www.boatid.com/albin-pump-marine/albin-pump-marine-air-blower-2302711351.html

Or a [emoji222] model that would do the same if space permit:

https://www.boatid.com/albin-pump-marine/flange-air-blower-mpn-10-02-005.html?singleid=1745571460

And you could even just make a homemade bracket to add to a standard blower like the one on your second picture to fix it in place. Not difficult to do with a bit of imagination.

L

Thanks, I looked at that type of blower (pictured in Hopcar's post) but it says it's rated for intermittent use only. I need to run it for prolonged periods while the generator is on to cool down the compartment.

Last edited:
Look at Delta blowers. They are heavy duty. Don’t know if they have the nount you are looking for or not.

My solution was to glass in fiberglass exhaust pipe through the wall and then attach the fan with a rubber exhaust pipe coupling and hose clamps. Mine runs continuously when the engine or generator runs. They seem to last about 1,500 hours. So buy the spare now.

Ted

I had a bunch of those Jabsco blowers on my old Hatteras both DC and AC.
Be careful using one to vacate air while the generator is running (I assume while at anchor?) as it will be competing with the generator for air coming through whatever vent you have.

Our generator was in its own utility room and we never felt the need to run a blower when the genset was on; sometimes did after it was off and I was going to be working in there. Ditto on the exhaust blowers in the ERs. (there were two in each: one ducted to vent the batteries before starting, and one ducted to the ceiling to vent while working in the ER after shutdown. This was specific direction in the boat owner's manual.

Perhaps a 3 or 4 inch PVC flange ($4) would be the right inner diameter to 5200 a new round fan into?

Attachments

• 51D7pPz41wL._AC_SX355_.jpg
    51D7pPz41wL._AC_SX355_.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 90
George brings up an interesting point in post number eight.
Is the blower trying to remove air from the lazarette or blow air into it?

If it is removing hot air there is no need to run it while the generator is running. The generator is pumping huge amounts of air out the exhaust already. When you shut the gen down is when you need the fan to exhaust hot air while the gen cools down.

It it’s to blow air into the lazarette, you probably don’t need it at all. The gen will pull all the air it needs in through the hole without the help of the fan. In fact the fan may be restricting the flow of air into the lazarette.

Thanks, I looked at that type of blower (pictured in Hopcar's post) but it says it's rated for intermittent use only. I need to run it for prolonged periods while the generator is on to cool down the compartment.

I have five of this type of blower onboard and I use them to cool the generator room and the engine room. I’ll normally run the exhaust blowers for an hour or two and the inlet blowers for 3 or five hours at a time. The maker states that when used in continuous duty, they are only warranted for 2000 hours which is over 80 days! We have had to replace a couple in the past two years, but they were over 30 years old......

George brings up an interesting point in post number eight.
Is the blower trying to remove air from the lazarette or blow air into it?

If it is removing hot air there is no need to run it while the generator is running. The generator is pumping huge amounts of air out the exhaust already. When you shut the gen down is when you need the fan to exhaust hot air while the gen cools down.

It it’s to blow air into the lazarette, you probably don’t need it at all. The gen will pull all the air it needs in through the hole without the help of the fan. In fact the fan may be restricting the flow of air into the lazarette.

Thanks for all of the above suggestions, George and HopCar make some good points as to whether I even need to proceed with the blower.

What started me down this path:
Genset is in the lazaret along with a 50 amp double pole breaker on the bulkhead by the genset.
In hot months, that breaker will trip and when I go into the lazaret to deal with it, it's really hot in there.
The breaker is a double pole Home Depot type breaker made by Square D.
It's rated for 104° F.
When taking it out on those occasions, the breaker itself was hot and on the most recent change out with a new breaker I noticed that it seemed a little loose on its clip-on attachment. I'm thinking the loose contact is probably causing some if not all of these issues including the breaker generating some of its own heat.

So, I'm replacing the breaker with a proper Blue Seas double pole marine breaker that's rated for 185° F.

My boat mechanic/electrician tells me that I should also be able to safely increase the breaker to 70amps. The genset runs at 120V and it's hot and neutral go to this 2 pole breaker. He's saying this setup could put out 66 Amps.
The breaker I ordered from Blue Seas is a 60 amp (they go from 50 to 80 with no 70).

The previous owner says they never used the blower in the lazaret or had issues with the breaker. So HopCar's point that the current nonoperative fan is only restricting flow is a good one and I have removed it as well.
In addition to that opening, this compartment has 2 others for the genset to draw from, one on each side of the boat.

So I'll see where I get when I install the proper marine breaker.

When running 3 air conditioning units, battery charger, and AC refrigerator I measured 40 amps with my clamp meter.

Any support or disagreement with the above mentioned breaker size recommendation?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom