New Summit Fridge - thank you O C Diver!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianSmith

Vessel Name
Smartini
Vessel Make
2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
We had a Norcold (which must mean "sort of cold") marine fridge / freezer on the boat when we bought it 4 years ago. After the 400th time defrosting it, we decided to replace it. Luckily, O C Diver made this post right about the time we were ready to dive into the project: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=711500&postcount=1

We were hauled out at Cracker Boy Boat Works in Ft. Pierce, home to The Ship Shop, an excellent marine carpentry shop owned and run by Philip. Our Norcold was squeezed into a slot just the right size for it, and no more, so when we measured the Summit that OCD got, we knew it was going to be more than a little carpentry. Philip and Andrew were up to the task. When they were finished, the new fridge/freezer was in, alongside the new Force 10 3-burner propane stove and OVEN (replacing a Force 10 3-burner stove only). Although it was a more money than OCD's conversion, we're thrilled with the result.

We're still in the yard (long paint project), and the new Summit has been humming right along on solar only, for about three weeks now. Every morning when we come to the boat, the freezer is at -4 F and the fridge is about 28F. (Love that the Summit has individual controls for each compartment!) We didn't do a detailed power consumption comparison to the Norcold, but it certainly seems like the Summit is at least as efficient as the Norcold, and it's FROST FREE!!!! And it's 45% bigger inside!!!

I didn't take good "before" pictures, but there used to be a microwave above the stove, where the cabinet is now. We don't need the microwave now that we have an oven, so we ended up with about the same amount of storage as before.

I'm making this a new thread, because I wanted to highlight our appreciation to OC Diver for his excellent post. With so much detail, it was a no-brainer for us to get the same unit. I didn't want our appreciation to be buried on Page 5 of that original thread.

Attachments

• New fridge freezer and oven.jpg
    New fridge freezer and oven.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 61
Looks great. An upgraded galley is a top remodel that will also help resale when the time comes.

:blush:

So happy it worked out for you!

My only regret on mine was not buying the ice maker. It added 25% to the price and I don't use ice. If I had added it, I could remove the stand alone ice maker that came with the boat. Probably will anyway, but it would be nice to have an ice maker for guests while on a cruise. Guess they'll have to settle for the countertop version.

Ted

We dumped our “ Nevercold” 4 years ago for a Frost Free Summit and love the new refrigerator freezer. We also did not order a ice maker but have found using 5 RubberMaid stackable ice cube trays to be very convenient and it’s great having nice size cubes for drinks. We bag and store excess cubes in the freezer.

Attachments

• 1A34BBCA-68EB-4423-BD49-856E630AC585.jpg
    1A34BBCA-68EB-4423-BD49-856E630AC585.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 59
I feel that ice makers were very popular in 70s and 80s. In FL, booze cruises seemed quite popular then as well. I'm guessing a larger percentage of boaters, especially trawler folks, don't have ice makers in their top 5 must have list. What makes you happy is important. Corporate yachts and charters would need ice makers.

My only regret on mine was not buying the ice maker..... but it would be nice to have an ice maker for guests while on a cruise.
That certainly applies on my boat! I have been severely threatened in the past for lack of ice.:blush:

Attachments

• IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 49
Thanks again to Ted and his in depth post. We have now had our summit in Pairadice for 18 months and wonder why we didn’t do it way before.
Cheers on making the change.

Another great post and reminder.... This is on my bucket list....

And will get the ice maker, just because. Then get rid of the countertop one, which has been fair at best. And, I too, just don't have the need for ice, unless my beer is warm...... I fired the only person that used ice on my boat.

Oh no...Ted again!? Ted says do this, Ted says do that. So where can I find this same model Summit Fridge?:ermm:

Larry the Nevercold direct size replacement Summit I ordered is no longer stocked. But since your a Master of Manatee Upgrades what ever they sell now shouldn’t be a problem.
The delivery then was to your door, I gave my marina address, they delivered it to the boat and for a small gratuity they brought it aboard and set it in the refrigerator cut out.
Bill

Last edited:
Oh no...Ted again!? Ted says do this, Ted says do that. So where can I find this same model Summit Fridge?:ermm:

We ordered ours from Home Depot. It's a little bigger than the Norcold it replaced by an inch or so in all three dimensions.

Back
Top Bottom