Finding private dock Space Coast FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
Any particular place to search for private docks for rent other than Craigslist? In particular the Cocoa or Merritt Island areas.

Just docking, or liveaboard?
JohnS

Private docks? As opposed to a marina? Why private dock?? That is a very limiting criteria. Most people who have private docks, use them.

Any particular place to search for private docks for rent other than Craigslist? In particular the Cocoa or Merritt Island areas.
Liveaboard or just wet storage?
Search Craigslist in the area "Boats for sale" for "slip" or "dock". Also search in Boat Accessories

Most people who have private docks, use them.

Lots of seniors who moved to Florida had boats and aged out of them. Pretty common in the Fort Myers, Cape Coral area and up the Caloosahatchee river, to find seniors living in homes on canals, willing to rent out the dock or bulkhead for some much needed extra money.

Craigslist is generally the best place to look on the SW FL coast.

Ted

Last edited:
Most people who have private docks, use them.

You have data to back that up? Take a drive around some of the neighborhoods wit lagoons deep inland. Lots of empty docks.

You have data to back that up? Take a drive around some of the neighborhoods wit lagoons deep inland. Lots of empty docks.

I try to avoid absolutes. Are you saying MOST are for rent?? I never said it wasn't possible. I'm saying that, while possible, it would seem far easier to find one in a marina, than to find an unused one that someone happens to be willing to rent. Plenty of empty docks doesn't mean that they're all available for rent. The search becomes cumbersome as you have to hunt for each individual one advertised.

It would seem easier to simply call around to a handful of marinas. Scouring Craig's list is certainly a viable, while albeit cumbersome option.

There's also some added complications involved, like parking. Many of these are in neighborhoods with HOA's, which often prohibit parking in the street for any length of time. Now you have the logistics of parking to deal with. Hopefully they have overflow parking and it's not too far of a walk. Maybe you'll get lucky and the owner will let you park in the driveway and not get tired of working around your car.

Last edited:
I am curious how you will deal with pumpout at a residential dock on a canal?

In Florida there are usually municipal marinas that offer free or modest charge pumpouts. You're not going to do it where you're tied up, but there are a significant percentage of marinas without in slip pumpout also.

The other considerations for seeking private homes for dockage is a lack of marina space. In spite of the Canadians staying home this winter, winter slippage is very scarce this year. Lots of people buying boats or choosing to stay out of the NE this year. The yacht club I've stayed at the last 3 winters has no season dockage this year. Everything is annual leases. I ended up buying a slip at the yacht club to guarantee I had dockage. I imagine it's similar on the East coast.

Ted

Snagaslip.com. I found a condo unit w 8 slips in ft Lauderdale. Had a pool, shower, elec and water. $800/ mo which was 1/2 of marinas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom