Diesel Additives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backinblue

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Moon
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 355
Just curious what people are using for diesel additives. I am a long time boater but new to power boating and now more interested in if and how I treat diesel fuel now that I am using a lot of it. There are lots of products will all kinds of promises, but who knows if they really do anything or not? I have been using FuelOx because I found it at a boat show and saw no harm in trying it. I have no idea if it does anything, but my engine runs well and doesn't smoke at all, but I don't know if it would be any different without it. I just purchased some FPPF Marine Diesel treatment and will try that since it seems endorsed by Yanmar. I may still add a small amount of FuelOx. What is your experience/opinion?

Just curious what people are using for diesel additives. I am a long time boater but new to power boating and now more interested in if and how I treat diesel fuel now that I am using a lot of it. There are lots of products will all kinds of promises, but who knows if they really do anything or not? I have been using FuelOx because I found it at a boat show and saw no harm in trying it. I have no idea if it does anything, but my engine runs well and doesn't smoke at all, but I don't know if it would be any different without it. I just purchased some FPPF Marine Diesel treatment and will try that since it seems endorsed by Yanmar. I may still add a small amount of FuelOx. What is your experience/opinion?
My boat previous owner was using this, I do the same without much conviction but still as it does not harm I use the same:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71E3ywm2TkL._AC_SL1125_.jpg

L

Since you are using a lot of fuel there is no need for additives. Run the tank low to slosh any sediment up to the filters. Check them and replaces as necessary.
Have diesels for decades and all the want is clean fuel.

Biobor for diesel; cheap insurance.

Second on Biobor. In the PacNW we boat year around but less often during winter. Fill up in the fall, try to keep tanks full, but less use means fuel “sits” so don’t want to give the little green grows things any help by ignoring the issue.

With our 2010 & newer commercial diesel rigs we run Catalyst. You need to understand that our vehicles have DEF devices and variable vaned turbo chargers. This product keeps our exhaust systems from carboning up and adds 10% to our fuel economy. This product cost $250 a gallon but you only use a few ounces per 100 gallons. Everything I have tried from a retail outlet has been snake oil.

I have never used the product on my Cat 3208s. My engines only smoke on start, there is no exhaust system to carbon up, possibly I would see some fuel consumption improvement but that would be very hard to verify.

Since My fuel never sits in my tanks for more than 6 months and I have no water issues I don’t see the need for any fuel stabilization. This of course is not true for everyone.

Syanadyne. Fuel stabilizer and lubricity treatment. I believe it also processes small amounts of water. But if you go through your diesel fairly quickly, you need nothing. Diesel has a lot of additives these days already.

Careful with Biobor. It kills critters which isn't always a good thing. Dead critters clog filters.

I have zero data to back up, but I'd guess a lot (majority?) of clogged filters are caused by asphaltines from old fuel, not algae. Additives like Stanadyne and Stabil will help. Biobor will not.

Peter

Biobor JF. Years ago I found some research - maybe U. Oregon - on using bio-diesel for emergency generators. Apparently bio-diesel has more storage challenges than petro-diesel. Anyway, I found Biobor JF noted as effective there in a test of several biocides. In hot and humid southern areas I use Biobor JF unless I take on a large load of Valve-tect fuel which is pre-treated with a biocide. A few months of the winter with hard cold snaps, I have my boat winterized, and my mechanic uses a fuel stabilizer, but there are several reported as effective - no opinion from me.

Never have found water in my Racors, maybe because I most completely close tank vents. Curious if others do the same. Of course, that means I add fuel very slowly past 3/4 full.

BTW, I cut open my Racors with a hacksaw when they are changed to get an idea what's in the tank. Delighted last time to find practically nothing, very little discoloration of the filter medium. Admiral is amused, but rolling out 15 or so feet of filter medium is the best way I know to find out if anything is floating around down there. Obsessive?

Since you are using a lot of fuel there is no need for additives. Run the tank low to slosh any sediment up to the filters. Check them and replaces as necessary.
Have diesels for decades and all the want is clean fuel.

I'm ignorant when it comes to all things engine. However, I agree with Bayview. If you use your fuel, you don't need to worry about it. If the fuel will sit for a while, then Stabil may be helpful.

I just buy Valvetect Marine diesel which meet stringent clean fuel and storage requirements. And buy just enough to last a year. I keep less than 30 gallons in my 600 gallon diesel tanks during winter.

I have been told by many people that this is the best but who knows...I am going to use it next fuel top off... IMG_20200729_132831258.jpg

I use Bio-Bore and Sta-Bil.
Talked to a guy that worked on the flight line at Boeing. He strongly recommended Bio-Bore.
Have no use for any other additives.
Sta-Bil’s expensive. How many here say I don’t need it?

Each year I put some stabilizer in the tanks before we winterize the boat. We run it enough to get it through the system. That is all we use.

I’ve spent over two decades working in mining around the world. All for large mining operations that burn billions of litres of diesel each year. Not a single one uses fuel additives.

Just for laughs, try and find any credible scientific data on the claimed benefits of these additives.

I just buy Valvetect Marine diesel which meet stringent clean fuel and storage requirements. And buy just enough to last a year. I keep less than 30 gallons in my 600 gallon diesel tanks during winter.

I always thought best practice was to fill tanks for the winter. That's what I did along with a winter stabilizer.

I’ve spent over two decades working in mining around the world. All for large mining operations that burn billions of litres of diesel each year. Not a single one uses fuel additives.

Just for laughs, try and find any credible scientific data on the claimed benefits of these additives.

On the FuelOx site, there is a construction company that uses their product and claim about a 10% savings in fuel.

On the FuelOx site, there is a construction company that uses their product and claim about a 10% savings in fuel.

Call me a skeptic but if there was a free 10% improvement in fuel economy don’t you think engine or vehicle manufacturers would be crowing about it?

Lots of people make claims; to this day I’ve never seen one that can substantiate them.

I always thought best practice was to fill tanks for the winter. That's what I did along with a winter stabilizer.

If I filled my tank completely full with 600 gallons, it would take more than a year to consume. Valvetect Marine fuel is stabalized and good for a year.

Sandpiper lives in a boathouse and the engine room kept at 50° F. Fluctuation in temperature, which bring moist air into the tanks from tank breathing, is mitigated.

I test for water every other month and after taking on fuel with Kolor Kut Water paste and have not detected water in 20 years. The fuel tanks have deep sumps and plumbed for bottom feeding which makes water removal simple with a built in pump if water was detected.

Having less fuel in the tanks make circulating the fuel for cleaning a lot less time consuming. Less fuel also allow inspection of the tank internals through the inspection ports once a year.

Last edited:
Bob Smith recommended adding Marvel Mystery Oil to diesel years ago. I experimented with it for several years and could'nt detect any benefit.

My understanding is the best fuel practice is to get good clean fuel and use it which is exactly what many commercial operations do. Many trawler owners carry a lot of fuel but do not use it quickly. I use Stanadyne to stabilize the fuel and discourage precipitation of asphaltines. It also emulsifiers small amounts of water.

I wonder how fuel is managed for large standby generators such as hospitals where they often have 5-10 days of fuel?

Look for compliance with engineering standards organization ratings. For most products you probably won't find any. ASTM, API, SAE, ISO, ANSI, etc

Keep contaminants out of your fuel.

Regular Unleaded is probably more toxic than Biobor.

Last edited:
If I filled my tank completely full with 600 gallons, it would take more than a year to consume. Valvetect Marine fuel is stabalized and good for a year.

Sandpiper lives in a boathouse and the engine room kept at 50° F. Fluctuation in temperature, which bring moist air into the tanks from tank breathing, is mitigated.

I test for water every other month and after taking on fuel with Kolor Kut Water paste and have not detected water in 20 years. The fuel tanks have deep sumps and plumbed for bottom feeding which makes water removal simple with a built in pump if water was detected.

Having less fuel in the tanks make circulating the fuel for cleaning a lot less time consuming. Less fuel also allow inspection of the tank internals through the inspection ports once a year.

Indoor storage is different I agree. For those of us outdoors in a cold climate for several months, I believe filling the tanks is still recommended. It's also nice to start the season full and not have to purchase any fuel for a good while.

Two part article on the subject by Steve D'Antonio. It's been years since I read these. I used to be a biobor fan but my best research indicates water is the biggest problem. Stanadyne and StaBil both emulsify water. No water, no critters, and no need for a biocide such as Biobor. At least that's my best thinking. Everyone makes their own decision.

https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/diesel-fuel-additives-part-i/

https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/diesel-fuel-additives-part-ii/

Good articles, thanks

Call me a skeptic but if there was a free 10% improvement in fuel economy don’t you think engine or vehicle manufacturers would be crowing about it?

Lots of people make claims; to this day I’ve never seen one that can substantiate them.

I tend to agree with you there, but if they are buying the product and have seen results, there may be something to it. Not that some manufacturers like Yanmar and Cummings, do endorse certain brands of additives. I'm thinking I will continue to use some just as a little extra insurance, maybe at less than recommended doses.

Indoor storage is different I agree. For those of us outdoors in a cold climate for several months, I believe filling the tanks is still recommended. It's also nice to start the season full and not have to purchase any fuel for a good while.

Boats stored outdoors in winter with engine room heaters controlled by a thermostat maintaining consistent temperature would not ingest moist air either.

I track fuel prices and prefer to purchase fuel in the spring when the price is favorable. And this year, since we are not boating as much as prior years, would have had fuel sitting too long had I purchased in the fall preCovid19.

Boats stored outdoors in winter with engine room heaters controlled by a thermostat maintaining consistent temperature would not ingest moist air either.

I track fuel prices and prefer to purchase fuel in the spring when the price is favorable. And this year, since we are not boating as much as prior years, would have had fuel sitting too long had I purchased in the fall preCovid19.

I agree with you, however, the marinas here would not allow running a heater all winter. Electric needs to be off when nobody is aboard. Just curious, if your boat is winterized, why the need for a heater anyway?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom