Mobile site or iPad app update?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonnyP

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kairos
Vessel Make
Island Pilot 395
The new site is great, but really doesn't work great on an iPad, or I am just unable to figure it out. I read that there would be an ipad/iphone/droid app coming out and wondering if there are any updates on that?

Also, is there currently a way to post photos to a post from an ipad/iphone?

Thanks and nice work!

-Donny

I use the site on an iPad all the time-- on a plane, on out on a boat (like right now), in another country. It works fine except for one thing--- there does not seem to be any way to attach photos to a post. The browse windows in the attachment window for photo files are grayed out.

DonnyP said:
I read that there would be an ipad/iphone/droid app coming out and wondering if there are any updates on that?

I just downloaded the Droid app and posted this with it. It has a few bugs(or operator learning curve) to overcome, but works pretty well IMO.

I found the iPad app and am posting from it now. Thanks!

What is the name of the Droid app?

Now using the App on my I-Touch seems a bit more user friendly. Keep up the good work Andy and team.

I found it and it seems to work fine so far on the Droid Max.

I just downloaded the Droid app and posted this with it. It has a few bugs(or operator learning curve) to overcome, but works pretty well IMO.

Thanks for the tip, CP. I knew Andy et al, were working on an app, just never saw the notice that it was up and available.

Loaded and seems to work well. Great job folks!!

Thanks for the tip, CP. I knew Andy et al, were working on an app, just never saw the notice that it was up and available.

Loaded and seems to work well. Great job folks!!

There hasn't been an announcement - it's only recently available; you beat me to the punch ;)

I'm posting a test photo to check on quality. Also, until now, we were unable to post a photo on our iPads.

image-584624498.jpg

image-2205175306.jpg

The two photos, while they look sharp in the thumbnails, are even less sharp when expanded than the photos submitted via computer. As you and I have been discussing, the photo quality on the new forum is significantly inferior (in my opinion) to the photo quality on the old forum. In some cases I have included the same photo file with a post to the new forum that I used in a post to the old forum, and the quality when the thumbnail is clicked on and expanded on the new forum is very poor in comparison to the result of expanding the same photo on the old forum.

My guess is that the new forum software considerably compresses and thus degrades the photos included in posts regardless of the resolution of the file attached to the post. I suppose this makes sense in terms of keeping the data volume down on the server but the price is a significantly degraded image quality. Photo quality reproduction is one area in which John Baker's original forum was noticeably superior.

But.... this is a boating forum, not a photography forum, so in that sense photo quality could be considered a secondary priority.

Last edited:
Giggitoni said:
I'm posting a test photo to check on quality. Also, until now, we were unable to post a photo on our iPads.

Ray, maybe its the poor photo quality, but Mahalo Moi seems much larger up close. B-)

Looks like Ray discovered the whereabouts of that machine they used in the "I shrunk the Kids" movie, then used it on Marin's boat.

Looks like Ray discovered the whereabouts of that machine they used in the "I shrunk the Kids" movie, then used it on Marin's boat.

If he did it backfired because that's actually his boat that he's holding.....

I shrunk the darn thing to reduce maintenance cost. However, it's hell in a four-foot sea.

Giggitoni said:
I shrunk the darn thing to reduce maintenance cost. However, it's hell in a four-foot sea.

...but I bet the slip fees and fuel bill make up for it.

Test photo with increased resolution.

image-421637104.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Back
Top Bottom