Mounting a dingy topside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
When i bout the boat,NP45, it was suggested to keep the dingy size to 10ft so it could be mounted port to starboard. Looking today at the space i am wondering if it would be smarter to mount bow to stern and let a little hang off the back freeing up more room. It will fit within the rails cross ways.
Also the rails are removable at the stern to allow for some overhang.
Your thoughts. Dingy was supposed to be here this week but still no show. I ordered when i bought the boat.

Will it get in the way of the deck below, hitting your head on lower unit, view.

The roof cover's the loser deck completely and the swim step is about 7 inches lower when you step through the stern entry. It seemed logical to keep everything in the rails but looking at it today going front to back might be more practical but just may not be as clean looking from the dock but that is my last concern. I figured i would take my time with it on the hook since i have no chocks installed. Also going cross ways eliminates the use of the ladder access since the dingy would cover the door. I had them not mount the ladder/steps so i could decide later. Think i would use the ladder?

Clipper brand built by the same yard as NP, fit an electric crane and cantilever a frame off the aft end of the FB to carry the dinghy athwart.

Maybe make a set of temporary chocks out of some scrap lumber and set them up there and try it both ways and see which you like better. Then go with a permanent set of chocks. If we had steps up to the bridge we would never use the ladder..

The steps are like steps but like on all boats they are steep.

Definitely call the boat builder and get their recommendation. I found having the dinghy carried up top on a flying bridge/ boat deck or trunk top was so much more convenient, making the swim step accessible. Improves the view from the aft deck too.

It is a given that most trawlers can take more punishment than the occupants. However, one weak spot, is the tender on the boat deck can come lose when off shore or in extremely bad seas. I have known many who wished that they could just jettison the tender to reduce the havoc & damage that the lose tender is doing. A solution is to strap the tender, using ratchet straps, going over the tender and under the hard top. This can be done fairly easily if the tender is positioned fore and aft.

I have a similar setup with dinghy up on house deck, sitting in stainless adjustable weaver davit mounts; these are nice if you ever swap out a slightly different dinghy they can be shifted.
I agree with the benefits of dinghy on top... however over time you might find that what will dictate your orientation could be "what orientation makes it easiest/quickest to lower and retrieve the dinghy?".
Typically the swing radius of your davit crane will help dictate the process and i also agree that NP should be able to provide guidance on this topic.
FYI: the dinghy on my AT41 is oriented fore and aft with just the dinghy motor prop sticking out aft slightly of the cockpit roof, but NP might have different considerations.

It is a given that most trawlers can take more punishment than the occupants. However, one weak spot, is the tender on the boat deck can come lose when off shore or in extremely bad seas. I have known many who wished that they could just jettison the tender to reduce the havoc & damage that the lose tender is doing. A solution is to strap the tender, using ratchet straps, going over the tender and under the hard top. This can be done fairly easily if the tender is positioned fore and aft.

Those were people with completely sub-standard installation then. With properly configured and installed chocks and 3- point through-bolted adjustable ties downs, that just won't happen.

We did a 10.5' AB with a 20hp motor and it just fits. We over-hang the rear, slightly, so are storing the rails behind the dinghy for now. There's some space beneath it, so we'll probably lay them down there once I work out some kind of pad.

B579C7C7-F3F6-44CA-8B6E-8218EA5EB683.jpeg

EB90E0C9-D582-4F82-8AC1-37CB646C0B02.jpeg

D8F14360-AD77-4807-8041-3B5D52FAF740-1024x768.jpeg

2F0F548F-3172-4D60-AF5D-30D6FD01B5FF-scaled.jpeg

Man.... that’s a sweet combo you have there. Wish I could talk my Admiral into a dinghy like that.

We've found over the years that you get what you pay for with dinghys. This is the "AB Sport" package configured by Guyer Boat Works. 10.5' AB hypalon, stainless folding bench seat and minimalist helm. Power start and tilt. Fuel-injected 20hp outboard. 6-gallons of gas in the bow locker. Garmin plotter with depth. Whole thing weighs about 400 lbs dry. Everything we need and nothing we don't.

I got tired of fighting with my tenders.

Last edited:
Shifty, nice looking rig all around. We had a little slotted piece of wood mounted on the boat deck below the engine, and lowered the engine so the skeg slipped right in there. Worked out great on saving a little width, and not protruding if/when the dink was swinging around, thus offering a modicum of protection to the mothership. Not sure if it makes sense for your installation, but FYI.

I carry a 13' FG tender on my roof, for and aft. We don't have a flybridge so have a pretty long boat deck.

Don't like the OB to hang over roof since they have a tendency to drip yutz on the swim step, cockpit or on my head.

We only drop the tender at anchor so not a problem with dropping it.

Attachments

• 20190720_101406.jpg
    20190720_101406.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom