Incident at fuel dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haloo

Vessel Name
Mighty Fine
Vessel Make
Kingfisher 3125GFX
I was kneeling on the dock at the side of my boat filling it with gas. My wife was standing at the pump reading off 10 gallon intervals. A smaller runabout boat was behind us also filling with gas, but dad was on the boat filling with his small daughter standing in the bow. Grandfather was on the dock reading off the gallons while 6 year old grandson was running all over the place. The fuel dockhand had retreated to his hut.

When the small boat behind us finished filling the 6 year old boy ran over to the pump and pushed the button to retract the fuel hose. Only he pushed our button. The fuel hose was jerked out of my hand and sent fuel down the side of our boat, onto my forearms, in the water, and a bit on the dock. There would have been a lot less fuel sprayed if the retracting hose had not briefly tightened my grip on the nozzle trigger.

To say the whole thing was freaky would be a huge understatement. I notified the marina management. They will be doing some additional training of the dockhand. From now on my wife will guard the pump.

It’s a zoo out there.

I was kneeling on the dock at the side of my boat filling it with gas. My wife was standing at the pump reading off 10 gallon intervals. A smaller runabout boat was behind us also filling with gas, but dad was on the boat filling with his small daughter standing in the bow. Grandfather was on the dock reading off the gallons while 6 year old grandson was running all over the place. The fuel dockhand had retreated to his hut.

When the small boat behind us finished filling the 6 year old boy ran over to the pump and pushed the button to retract the fuel hose. Only he pushed our button. The fuel hose was jerked out of my hand and sent fuel down the side of our boat, onto my forearms, in the water, and a bit on the dock. There would have been a lot less fuel sprayed if the retracting hose had not briefly tightened my grip on the nozzle trigger.

To say the whole thing was freaky would be a huge understatement. I notified the marina management. They will be doing some additional training of the dockhand. From now on my wife will guard the pump.

It’s a zoo out there.

There's a strong argument to WATCH KIDS. The dad was TOTALLY negligent and should know better. He, and the kid, deserve a stern scolding.

Geez, just when you think you've got a handle on your list of things to do and watch for, you get to add a new one! "Unsupervised child retracts your fuel hose while you are fueling." :banghead:

Glad it didn't end up worse, and good to hear that you spoke to the marina management and they will discuss with the attendant. Definitely not a time to retreat to your hut vs. letting the family know they needed to supervise their kid.

Geez, just when you think you've got a handle on your list of things to do and watch for, you get to add a new one! "Unsupervised child retracts your fuel hose while you are fueling." :banghead:

Glad it didn't end up worse, and good to hear that you spoke to the marina management and they will discuss with the attendant. Definitely not a time to retreat to your hut vs. letting the family know they needed to supervise their kid.

Absorbent pads? Check. Everyone off the boat? Check. All boat power off? Check. Protective gloves? Check. Covid mask? Check. Monitor fuel delivery? Check. Watch for children running around? Oh crap...I guess so...

Dad on the small boat had his fuel hose stretched over his boat to the fill port at the stern. Makes me shudder.

So yes, just when you thought you had the bases covered....

Did the dad say anything?

Both dad and grand dad apologized. They were mortified. I think they knew just how dangerous the situation was. And dad made the kid apologize.

I’m hoping dad learned a lesson.

Good question. I also wonder what the parental attitude was.

One time I was walking down a public street when an unleashed black lab trotted out of someone's yard, walked neutrally over to me.... and took a big bite out of my calf (and pants leg)! I went bleeding up to the house and expected the owners to be worried about me, what might happen to their dog, etc. Nope, their blasé response was "Yeah, he does that sometimes." GEEZ.

PS: I see Haloo responded that the dad/grandad responded appropriately. Sounds like they will be more attentive in future, so that's good.

Frosty, you should have gone to a walk-in medical clinic and have the bite treated. The medics will contact animal control to quarantine the dog plus enter the dog bite incident into the data base. I had this happen at work once, my job required us to get the bite treated. The next day animal control told me my bite was the third bite incident for that dog. The dog owner also excused it“ as the dog never does that”. This dog also had to be quarantined to check for rabies because it had not been treated annually.

Last edited:
Thanks, HiDHo,

The dog bite was almost 20 years ago (but memorable). Coincidentally, I was also working at the time. I did go to the hospital to get it checked out. Of course I also knew where the dog lived, but I don't remember the details of if it had shots or if I had a waiting-to-see period. Didn't have to get rabies shots myself - I would certainly remember that.

The owners' "whatever" attitude still amazes me :facepalm:

Thats scary. But at least gas will be easier to clean off your boat than diesel.

That got me thinking. With all the self service automotive gas stations, I can't remember a recreational boating fuel dock that doesn't have an attendant controlling everything but putting the nozzle in your fill pipe. There are a couple of commercial fuel docks where I am just handed the keys to the pump. In a country full of self service automotive fueling, it seems odd that boat fueling is almost the opposite.

Ted

That got me thinking. With all the self service automotive gas stations, I can't remember a recreational boating fuel dock that doesn't have an attendant controlling everything but putting the nozzle in your fill pipe. There are a couple of commercial fuel docks where I am just handed the keys to the pump. In a country full of self service automotive fueling, it seems odd that boat fueling is almost the opposite.

Ted

Not in New Jersey. Its illegal to pump your own auto gas/diesel.

True, but I think that's more about jobs than safety (IMO). As one example, a few years ago in Oregon (used to be same as NJ), I requested to pump my own (into my RV because plastic outer fuel door is a bit fragile). The attendant said No, which was fine, but then went off on a "holier than though" rant about how it was for environmental reasons that required a professional, etc etc.

As he was telling me all this he "topped off" numerous times (fumes), and then pulled the pump handle straight out without rotating the nozzle up, thus spilling fuel all down the side of my RV and onto the ground. :nonono:

(Not saying all are like this but since I don't get to pick 'em I just pay extra to fuel in NY or other surrounding state.)

Not always true for diesel, many places that have separate pumps for commercial and diesel islands are self service....at least in South Jersey....

I could make a STRONG argument for better monitoring of kids. They can cause a BUNCH of problems very quick. We all have seen a bunch of stupid things.

We had a kid operating a 50ft boat in our Christmas parade and was all over the place including almost hitting the boat ahead of him, and shining the spot light in people's eyes. The dad was oblivious. That was the last year I participated in the boat parade. With stuff like that, who needs it. And worse, half of the boaters were drunker than I was......

I could go on with a lot more.

As for fueling, I could argue strongly to always do your own fueling regardless of what the dock hand or fueler says. Or, at the very least, stand right next to the guy to make sure he does it right.... doesn't spill, know when to stop, puts enough in, etc. (this is especially critical for airplanes).

I always thought it was a liability thing if a marina fuel attendant filled a boat fuel tank up ?? They would be responsible for any fuel spill instead of you. Maybe only in Maryland but I've never had an attendant offer to fill, always handed the nozzle to me.

At least the dad stepped up and addressed the problem.

True, but I think that's more about jobs than safety (IMO). As one example, a few years ago in Oregon (used to be same as NJ), I requested to pump my own (into my RV because plastic outer fuel door is a bit fragile). The attendant said No, which was fine, but then went off on a "holier than though" rant about how it was for environmental reasons that required a professional, etc etc.

As he was telling me all this he "topped off" numerous times (fumes), and then pulled the pump handle straight out without rotating the nozzle up, thus spilling fuel all down the side of my RV and onto the ground. :nonono:

(Not saying all are like this but since I don't get to pick 'em I just pay extra to fuel in NY or other surrounding state.)

Professionals! practically every fuel person in Oregon looks like they are on meth! . Luckily for me they don't pump diesel or motorcycles.. I dont want those dirt bags anywhere near my stuff.
These laws have nothing to do with safety or enviro concerns.. its all about employing people not smart enough to do anything else. I always imagined the test to get hired was a wood block with a hole in it that the have to put in a round dowel.. complete this task and bingo.. your hired!
Most fuel docks here hand you the nozzle with a diaper and you do the rest, I figure they don't want to risk scratching a boat.

HOLLYWOOD

...its all about employing people not smart enough to do anything else. I always imagined the test to get hired was a wood block with a hole in it that the have to put in a round dowel.. complete this task and bingo.. your hired!

Nope. I just walked up and applied for the job. Was hired on the spot. Worked that as a 2nd job for a year or so. It was kinda fun. No thinking required, got to meet a lot of people, sort-of outdoor work.

Obviously you never want to let a dock hand fuel your boat. The marina would most likely prefer not to accept the liability anyway. Just google "boat explosion" or "fuel dock explosion." Most times there's a recent example. And there's always putting the fuel into the wrong deck fitting - or even the rod holder!

I'm glad it all ended as well as it did. It could have been SO much worse!

I'm sorry but apologies are hollow unless accompanied by action. If they didn't leap to help wash it off your boat and ask if any damage and do everything possible to remediate it, then the apology didn't happen. Furthermore, it's the responsibility of the marina to insure safe fueling. I would have definitely held them all accountable for their actions and lack of actions.

That said, the only way I know to avoid such is for one of you to be by the pump.

Yep, I had a guy in Oregon tell me he had to pump the fuel too . . . into my motorcycle. . . . I said, "Fine, but just so you know that paint job on the gas tank cost $1,200.00, and if you scratch it, or spill fuel on it, you've paying for it!" He thought for a second, looked at the fuel tank, looked at the office, and handed me the nozzle . . . . Smart kid.:D

My nearly-two-year-old grandson loves to push buttons like turning off the TV and turn stove knobs. When doing it, he looks toward me. (Did you catch me doing naughty?) Kids love the attention.

The grandfather did offer to help clean our boat. But in my mental state at the time I figured that dad and grand dad had their hands full trying to keep one 6 year old in line. And I just didn’t trust them.

The whole incident taught me that I’m going to run the show filling the boat and around the pump. Either my wife or myself will be stationed at the pump. If either of us sees shenanigans going on whoever is at the pump tells the person at the nozzle to stop filling. If the dock hand takes a strong role that will be fine. But we will be assertive, not passive...and that includes telling another boater to control their kids.

It was ridiculous how much gas went flying about when the hose jerked from my hands. We were very lucky it wasn’t worse.

Haloo,

Good points.

However, often we don't have a mate with us when fueling. I'm solo for fueling about 50% of the time. But when she's with me, we will be more diligent.

As for fueling myself, I have NEVER been denied that. However, a few times the fueler just wanted to stand over me, which I had no problem with.

It's MUCH more serious with airplanes, and I can't believe how many fuelers put the wrong fuel in and it doesn't end well.

And, if someone mis fuels your boat with gas, it will be expensive. And if they are dumb enough to put fuel (worse, gas) in a hole where it doesn't belong, it could be lethal.

I can't believe how many boaters and aviators, just tell the fuel guy to just "top it off" and leave.

As for kids... they just don't belong in a fueling area.... period!

This is not my story, but was related to me by a friend who owns a 44 foot sailboat. He was going out to sail with a new girlfriend and needed some diesel. He pulled into the fuel dock, told the dockhand to top him off as he headed for the men's room. Upon returning, he discovered the dockhand pumping gasoline into his diesel tank.

No problem...they got him some buckets and he went below and was able to drain off the gasoline into the buckets and he handed them up to the girl, who handed them back to him empty in order to re-fill.

When he finished the job and went on deck, he asked the girlfriend where the dockhand was. She said she hasn't seen him in over an hour. It now dawned on my friend that the girl had be dumping the gas overboard. Yikes!

He didn't fill me in on what happened next except to tell me that he broke up with her as soon as they got home.

In another life I was the "fuel guy" at the Norfolk airport general aviation terminal, and most planes were refueled without the owner/pilot there. Only once to my knowledge did I ever screw up the grade of gas; I think 80 octane into a 100 octane plane. It was quickly discovered, and I was sitting under the plane draining that tank when my sisters rolled up with a letter saying I had passed the physical for entrance the Naval Academy in Annapolis. I never went into aviation after that other than to get a private pilot's license before I left home for the Navy. Nobody, but nobody, has ever fueled a boat of mine but me. If it's gonna be screwed up, it will be me, and my last fuel mistake was 56 years ago.

had this happen at work once said:
That owner should have been cited with a heavy fine. In most places, you can't renew dog tags without proof of rabies vaccination.

I've never had a dock attendant offer to fuel my boat. I also have never had a gas station attendant attempt to fuel my motorcycle. They just hand me the nozzle, whether in NJ or OR (in the past). I have had to ask an attendant to finish filling up my Tundra; after the pump shuts off by itself, it will take another three gallons if you go slow.

As for spills at the fuel dock, I keep a spray bottle handy, filled with 50/50 water and Dawn dish soap. Any fuel on the boat or the water, this stuff eats it up quickly (well, for small quantities anyway).

As for spills at the fuel dock, I keep a spray bottle handy, filled with 50/50 water and Dawn dish soap. Any fuel on the boat or the water, this stuff eats it up quickly (well, for small quantities anyway).

You and BP.

Be careful with that. It's fairly illegal and might get you a hefty fine.

Not trying to be judgy, FWIW, I did the same a couple of times until I was corrected.

EDIT

Just looked it up: The fine in the US for a spill is $5k. The fine for using a dispersant is $25K.

Dammed if you do, damned if you don't. The reality is that an oz of gas or diesel will spread out fantastically as it is only a micron thick. It looks horrible but will probably dissipate naturally by weathering and evaporation. But try and explain that to a passer-by. Once you squirt it with soap it sinks and poof the sheen is gone. So you are rewarded.

We have a red plane Dash 8 that flies up and down the whole coast of BC looking for sheens.

Best to take extra precaution not to spill.

Last edited:

It’s a zoo out there.

At the gas dock where I gas up there is a sign.....Unattended children will be given Cuban coffee and a free puppy!

Seems like a simple solution would be building a shutoff sensor onto the dispensing hose. No pumping if not IN the fill hole.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom