Ford Lehman 135 heat exchanger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dkk3000

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1987 Grand Banks 36 Classi
Ford Lehman 135 heat exchanger. Does anyone have a new or a good used heat exchanger and engine oil cooler for the 135 model.
Thanks,
David

Call Brian at American Diesel. (804) 435-3107

Ford Lehman 135 heat exchanger. Does anyone have a new or a good used heat exchanger and engine oil cooler for the 135 model.
Thanks,
David

fredwarner has them in stock. $584. Bomacmarine also carries them.
Not something I would install used.

The fredwarner price is a good one, but check shipping costs. They are heavy.
Repace all with new. The heat exchangers cost almost as much to clean and.pressure test as to purchase, and the consequential costs of a failure of the oil or transmission coolers are so high as to make installing a used part a false economy.
If you are foing this much work, you might consider replacing allof tthe hoses and hose clamps, and checking the condition of the battery cables as well.
Don't forget to lube the engine control and shifter cables and control heads as well.
Good luck.

I replaced mine 2 years ago. I went through Hale Marine online. They list today for $557 for the heat exchanger and $126 for the oil cooler. Shipping is from the west coast.

OK, I took everyone’s advice, ordered all new nickel copper heat exchangers I should have them Friday I will keep you updated. Thanks everybody for all the help.

I ordered all three from a company called Mr. Cool . I got everything for around $850. They gave me a pretty good deal if I ordered all three at the same time.

Heat Exchangers, etc.

Hi Everybody!

I am in the middle of installing all new exchangers and coolers on my 135. Bought them from American Diesel, got the CuNi version which seems heavier and sturdier than the copper ones originally on the boat. I decided to replace all items because the boat is now 33 years old and I do not know how long it was in salt water early in its early life. It moved from Annapolis to the western shore of the MI lower peninsula and then to Lake Superior. It is not an extremely difficult job to replace them and the main thing seems to be to get the proper hoses, some of them being pre-formed. Brian at American Diesel has been incredibly helpful and shipping is quick. Just be sure you have all the fittings, etc. ready to go before you pull things apart. I am currently eyeing the male-female fitting that they used to hook the 3/8 in hydraulic hoses to the oil and transmission coolers in case one cannot get them out of the old coolers to reuse them. Once you have your ducks in a row, it should be a pretty easy job.

Last edited:
Any good deal on heat exchangers must be tempered with whether copper or cupro-nickel models are being purchased. There is a reason why cupro-nickel is more expensive.
I ordered all three from a company called Mr. Cool . I got everything for around $850. They gave me a pretty good deal if I ordered all three at the same time.

Check zincs also

T h e new hat exchangers should have new zincs in then. Calendar it to check them every couple of months, so that you get an idea of how fast they deplete, and can replace them before you lose their protection.
JohnS

Installed all three - done

Thanks,
David

Putting them in was a much bigger job than it should be because of the working space. Before you start, be sure to measure the distance to either the front or back of both the engine exchanger and the and the oil cooler from some fixed reference point. Cut your hoses just a bit longer than the originals. By having this reference measurement, you will have correct hose overlap on each end. The 90 degree bend from the back end of the engine exchanger to the transmission cooler has to be done with preformed hose. When you screw the oil fittings into the tranny and engine oil coolers, lock onto the hex that is a permanent part of the cooler and use another wrench to screw it in -- prevents putting stress on the weld where the pipe stub comes out of the cooler at a 90 degree angle.

Back
Top Bottom