What is this ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
In my new to me 1990 Carver/Californian MY with 3208 375hp I'm try to find and understand all the maintenance items. I'm now working down the shaft packings. I'm familiar with them and have redone the one's on my 1980 ski boat for 40 years. This looks like a completely different setup. Seems like it's some kind of cooling setup. Below are 3 pictures, complete system view, and then a close up on each end. What should I know about this kind of setup? . I've been watching the dripping in the little plastic pan. What is in the pan is after a run of 3 hours around 1100 rpm. I didn't monitor the temp but will the next time out.

The Brockerts

Attachments

• engineconnection.jpg
    engineconnection.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 45
  • fullviewI.jpg
    fullviewI.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 42
  • packingcloseup.jpg
    packingcloseup.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 54
You have a couple of things going on there. First, that is a very normal stuffing box with, yes, water injection. It’s not so much for cooling as it is probably to lubricate a cutless bearing that is part of the stuffing box. (I have exactly the same stuffing boxes in my boat) you’ll find that the packing material is inside the large nut at the end and there is a narrow locknut against that. Not knowing what kind of packing is in there, a small amount of dripping when underway is the safe setup.

The other thing I think I see is a big hose clamp holding a wire against the metal of the stuffing box. This is an extremely poor way to try and “ground” a piece of metal and should be removed and a wire properly installed on one of the stuffing box mounting bolts that will be behind that plywood access panel.

Also you will most likely have stuffing box hoses that definitely need inspection but they are completely out of sight behind that plywood panel.

Ken

Last edited:
I'm curious. It seems like someone may have removed and abandoned a pencil zinc out of that HX to make the connection to the cutlass bearing. I am not a cat guy (if it is a cat). Maybe someone else can help?

It is a bit difficult to tell in the photo but it the cooling water hose the plastic corrugated hose? If so that is cheap bilge pump hose. I would get rid of it immediately and install some good quality hose. The plastic hose isn’t even good for bilge pumps IMO.

It is a bit difficult to tell in the photo but it the cooling water hose the plastic corrugated hose? If so that is cheap bilge pump hose. I would get rid of it immediately and install some good quality hose. The plastic hose isn’t even good for bilge pumps IMO.

I thought it was just a chafe guard put over the hose?

I think that is plastic over a marine grade rubber hose. I'll check that out closer

It may just be chafe protection but I agree to take a look.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll get the grounding strap fixed and I feel more comfortable about the setup. Next up is an alignment that has been recommend by several people.

The Brockerts

Back
Top Bottom