Morning !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Orange

Another newbie to the forum - looking to use y'all (that's right, I'm from Texas) as mentors and resources in my search for my first trawler. I've always had a desire to complete the Great Loop and as I'm sure you know, a desire needs a plan to come to fruition. I blame the USN for this addiction to water, I served on a destroyer for 4 years many years ago - out of the 4 years, I was at sea for 3 years and 4 months...still miss it and that was 50 years ago.
Thanks for helping me on my journey!

What kind of trawler are you thinking? There’s a it of options out there!

I've had my eye on several Island Gypsy's - the 44 flush deck is laid out nicely - if I do move ahead w/plans - my kids and their families will want some "Dad" time om board - also thinking about fuel economy & reliability (2 engines have strong appeal) - Lehman's seem to fit that niche - I'm always open to suggestions...

Welcome to the group.
Hmmmm, Navy destroyers? What did you do on them?
If you scan the subject matters on the top of the screen, click on the far left “Trawler Forum”. It will take you to all the subjects covered. I think you will find subjects of interest, many addressing first time purchase and recommendations.
Plus, reading all that will keep you off the streets for a month.
You have answered two important questions, what do you want to do with it and what boat catches your eye. Next, are you going to ‘single hand’? Now, how many staterooms, heads.

Old Dan - 67-71 - started chipping paint and slapping red lead on the old lady...progressed to the ET gang and was responsible for the ECM gear, SPS-29 and associated repeaters in CIC. Volunteered for GQ duty in the forward 5"38 mount and due to being 6'3" - assigned to loading the projectiles. Stood many a bridge watch as lookout, helm, and lee helm when my assigned duties were not needed.
0-25% will be single handed - Fiancee will be joining me for indeterminate periods. Minimum cabins 2? 1-2 full heads - maybe 1 & a day head

Great questions!

Welcome Aboard, tell us a little more about what you need. Space, kids, pets, want to go fast or are you content with 6knts?

Pete

0-25% will be single handed - Fiancee will be joining me for indeterminate periods. Minimum cabins 2? 1-2 full heads - maybe 1 & a day head

Great questions!

I was on the DD881 for one Med cruise. Rest of the time on FBM subs.
Your experience justify your love for the sea. SMILE.

2 cabins if you intend to entertain company over night and on cruises plus more storage. 1 1/2 heads at least.

DD-839 and DD692 - over one and under 2 - LOL
Med cruises, WestPac, foray into the Black Sea, Gitmo,

Sounds like I'm on the right track with needs...

Welcome Aboard, tell us a little more about what you need. Space, kids, pets, want to go fast or are you content with 6knts?

Pete

2+ cabins
Kids are grown/gone- May rarely be with me
No pets
It’s taken me 72 years to get to today, an hour to travel 12,150 yards is just fine.

Welcome Big Orange, lots of haze grey and underway shipmates here. Mine DDR-808, DD-872, CG-32, FF-1047, and DLG-14 & 39, Been there done That, MMCM Retired.
IG great choice.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. The search engine on this forum is pretty good. Two issues that may encounter. Old boats(30-40) can be harder to insure, but extra effort will get you coverage. Also, your boating experience matters to the insurance company. Take some boating classes through your local Power Squadron when Covid allows. It is also good to be flexible about marina slips as they can sometimes be hard to acquire. Sleeping for one night at your marina is easier to get permission than multiple nights.
On the subject of age of boats, good maintenance records makes or breaks an old boat. Mechanically and rotting/leaking structure. Island Gypsy 44 is a nice size and choice for your intentions.

Back
Top Bottom