Boat name survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "honey" boat handling Alcatraz human waste is named "Solitaire."

Many years ago, I saw the James Bond inspired boat "Octopussy" in Montauk. A year or so later, I saw it again in Nassau.

Boats should be named after women or virtues.

How about one of your grandmothers' name?

Mark: What does, "Carquinez Coot" mean? Sounds funny. And our porta potties in the Seattle area are called "honey bucket".

"Dottie", Trying to avoid anything motorcycle. BUT, since it's a Ponderosa, anything rhyme or go with Ponderosa?

Women's name or feminine I agree. I wanted to name it after my wife. Her name is "Mun", (pronounced "Moon"). I thought "Crescent Moon" or "Crescent Mun" was pretty, but she didn't like it.

Last edited:
Here’s another vote for “easy to understand on the radio and easy to spell” !

Maybe think twice about names that are puns, because you may tire of the pun before you tire of the boat.... :)

"Dottie", Trying to avoid anything motorcycle. BUT, since it's a Ponderosa, anything rhyme or go with Ponderosa?

Ponderosa was also the name of the ranch in the tv show "Bonanza" and then you could have a Theme song..... theme song............:hide::hide::hide:

Last edited:
If the seller hasn`t required removing the name, do not act in haste only to repent at leisure. Keep the existing name for the immediate need, choose the new one at your leisure.

We struggled forever trying to figure out a boat name. Many of our choices were so popular that we didn’t want to be confused with others. As newbie boaters we also wanted something easy to say, easily understood, and something that wouldn’t be confused with a nautical term, sea state, compass heading......

Then my best friend who was a police officer died in the line of duty. He was a gentle soul, highly intelligent, and always upbeat. If you asked him how he was doing, he always answered “mighty fine.” Thus the name of our boat: Mighty Fine

Thanks ted. I agree with the words no one's heard of. So that narrows my list down.

Naranda out

NEREIDES out

There is a Nereida sailboat out of Victoria, BC. The skipper briefly held the record for oldest person to circumnavigate non-stop, unassisted. She has quite the story if you look her up.

Haloo, that's a great story. Sorry for your friend. I have a friend that's there through thick and thin, but "Scott" doesn't sound good on a boat.

I like "Nereida" and it has thousands of mythical years to back it up.

Last edited:
Nurses picks from work today. Drum Rollll please....

Least favorite. "Kraken" (my favorite)

Favorite. "Shakey Reed"

Surprisingly it's my wife's favorite too. But I don't feel it has a Nautical ring to it. It is pretty though, (and so is our boat).

Since there's a ton of teak on many of our boats, are there any "Teak" nautical names?

Last edited:
+1 on skipping Kraken. There is already a Kraken in Shelter Bay - if/when you come north there is already one, they're on my dock and out a lot in the San Juans; and I agree it (and versions of it) will become trendy.

Ditto on recommendations to pick names easy to say / understand on VHF. We don't have many bridges around (who knows, you may do the Washington and go through the Montlake Cut, but I'd think you will clear every bridge there, only needing to go through the locks...) But most marinas you go to you'll be calling in and getting a dock hand or marina attendant who is likely walking around on a handheld VHF. A clear boat name makes things much easier.

A boat name that isn't common also helps identify you as unique... Our last boat we thought we had uniquely named Great Escape. Turns out there are no less than 5 or 6 of them in Puget Sound. It had it's pluses and minuses. One or more of them were well respected at a resort marina we like to go to in the San Juans, and over the radio at least we felt like we were well greeted. But I know at least one was a charter sailboat, and I have seen it doing, um, questionable stuff. So I was a little dubious about my name reputation on the radio because of that.

One thought is do you really need to change it. Is there is heritage/uniqueness to the current name you can build on instead of changing it, especially if it is a documented boat? (And it looks like may be, you can check on the USCG search site https://cgmix.uscg.mil/psix/psixsearch.aspx and search the vessel name. There are three "Dream Too's" nationwide that are documented, but one of them was made in 1987 and is 42 ft long and might be yours. You may have the documentation number listed in your survey report.

Fortunately the Admiral and I had been thinking trawler for well over a decade, and when we finally made the decision to purchase one, we got serious about a name right then. We had the name before we found the boat, actually - we were able to supply it to our title company and have the paperwork straight from the get go.

I wish you luck!

I almost named my new boat Nereides, then in agreement with my wife we came up with a name related to Tahitian since it reminded us our crossing from Florida to Thailand with some good time in Tahiti/BoraBora.
Like Nereides very much too.

Thanks ted. I agree with the words no one's heard of. So that narrows my list down.

Naranda out

NEREIDES out

"Hail me when passing"? Shouldn't I make it difficult if I need to out run the coast guard? My boats quite fast at around 8 knots. :)

Here are some oldies you might like. SEA DATE LADY

LAZY LADY

MYSTIQUE

As mentioned keep it easy for radio communications.

Yes I borrowed our boat name from Tony Fleming. Love his boats and videos.

Adelante
Avanti
Amarone
Argo
Polaris
Dances with Waves
Do Not Disturb
Wax on Wax off
The Fourth Dimension

If the seller hasn`t required removing the name, do not act in haste only to repent at leisure. Keep the existing name for the immediate need, choose the new one at your leisure.
How common is it for a seller to require removal of the name? I had never heard of it until recently. A friend purchased a 4 year old boat named "Quintessence" with the name in large and expensive back-lit letters on the transom. The PO was buying another boat and wanted to retain the name so required a name change. My friend, not wanting to spend a ton of money on the new back-lit name, rejiggered to be "Quitessa." PO was not amused but nothing came of it.

Personally, I dislike both names, the latter being less objectionable owinf solely to its relative brevity. Even he uses a simple Q for shorthand.

Which reminds me of the urban legand story of a university level final exam in some sort of English related course.

With blank Blue Books distributed, the professor writes the exam question on the black boars: "Whats your favorite word, and why?" 45-seconds later a student hands in his completed Blue Book. Answer? "Brevity. It's short."

Maybe my friend should have just pasted Q on his transom.

Money Pit

Money pit? NO KIDDING. I have to fix some of my teir one problems before I can insure the boat.

Weebles, you can't have the same name as someone else? What's with the, two "Quintessence" names?

Northwest Dream is beautiful. Much better than my current name, "Dream Too", (I don't like). My boat is the 1987 42 ft long one listed

Everyone keeps mentioning pick a name that's easy to say and understand. I had no idea I'd be on the radio so much. I thought they were only for SOS. Now this has turned out to be much more than just a name change. While cruising, do you ever turn the radio off? Or is it playing in the background all the time? On a busy weekend, I guess it can get pretty noisy?

Tiltrider "Azzurra" is nice, (one of my favorite cruise ship names).

I had a "Venture" Yamaha once.

Scott I saved all your names. The "The Fourth Dimension" is interesting. Nobody liked "AMPHIBIOUS ALIEN "??

I like NEREIDES too. Someone said try to avoid names difficult to understand or interpret.

The hunt continues...

Last edited:
I keep getting drawn back to my wife's favorite. "Shakey Reed ". Why? Several have "liked" it and well, it's my wife's pick.

But I'd feel better if someone can attach the name to anything nautical or water like? Do you see lots of reeds while cruising, (maybe the Everglades, the Bayou)? How about in the waters of the PNW? Did pirate's use them for anything. :)

Maybe keep "reed" and change "Shakey"?

Don't propellers get stuck in reeds? Perhaps bad luck? Plus it might not sound right over the radio?

Last edited:
Shakey Reed. Sounds like this name has found your boat. It’s different, it’s easy to say on the radio, it’s unique, it’s timeless and your wife likes it.

Weebles,

I've noticed the same thing when perusing Yachtworld lately. Every once in a while I'll see a note in a listing that the current owner is "reserving the name" so you have to change it. But since as far as I know US states and even US Federal Documentation don't have a "there can only be one of X" rule, I'm not sure it's really meaningful (?) I mean, what's to stop the buyer from using the name over again?

(Not saying I'd be a jerk about it, but just not sure I understand "reserving" a name.)

Our last boat was called Vaporetto. It was a uniflight 42 and at 20kts would leave a cloud of stream trailing. Horrible name, ran into several other Vaporetto named boats, to hard to say on the radio and no one could spell it correctly so reservations often got confused by marinas.

We were sitting on the Island of Capri when we were asked what the new boats name would be. Didn’t take too long for the name Azzurra to emerge. The other potential name was Anna Capri. My wife’s name plus the island we were sitting on.

I like the concept of the moving reed. If you aren't totally sure about "Shakey Reed," what about some other connotation of movement? Shaking Reed, Wavering Reed, Shimmering Reed, Rustling Reed (bonus alliteration points), Reed Music, etc. Or you might consider Shaky Reed as a more usual spelling of the first word.

On the other hand, since I think most native English speakers would say "Shaking Reed" (Shaky having more of a connotation of maybe being not too sturdy vs. shaking being motion), Shaky (or Shakey) Reed does have a certain fresh quality to it in the way that "innocent" translations can have.

It's a bit to spell out, but if you love it, you'll get used to it "Sierra, Hotel, Alpha, Kilo, (Echo,) Yankee.... Romeo, Echo, Echo, Delta."

I keep getting drawn back to my wife's favorite. "Shakey Reed ". Why? Several have "liked" it and well, it's my wife's pick.

But I'd feel better if someone can attach the name to anything nautical or water like? Do you see lots of reeds while cruising, (maybe the Everglades, the Bayou)? How about in the waters of the PNW? Did pirate's use them for anything. :)

Maybe keep "reed" and change "Shakey"?

Don't propellers get stuck in reeds? Perhaps bad luck? Plus it might not sound right over the radio?

Names and drapes, the wise man turns those to his wife....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom