Anchor ball displayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it comes to power boats, I really haven't seen that many anchors balls displayed during the day, per the Coast Guard (American) information:

"At night an all-round white light is required, and during the day, a spherical “anchor-ball” suspended from the rigging (to create a circular silhouette). Both should be sized according to the regulations for your vessel."

Do you display one when at anchor? I just grabbed this random pic of boats at anchor in Desolation, see any anchor balls?

https://sailingsamadhi.files.wordpr...y-busy-prideaux-haven6541258850069053521..jpg

I typically do unless in an indicated anchorage where lights and day shapes are not required.

I typically do unless in an indicated anchorage where lights and day shapes are not required.

Indicated or special anchorage? Not sure I have ever heard the term "indicated anchorage".

Anchorages shown on charts aren't necessarily "special" so lights and shapes are required...even in many mooring fields.

Looking at the cost online for the correct size anchored day shape reminds me of the sheet aluminum radar reflector I made for our sailboat years ago. Looks to me like a DIY project, two interlocking 24” disc with lanyard holes on each end and a spraycan of flat black paint. How about some DIY’ers ideas out there other than the black round fender idea.

Indicated or special anchorage? Not sure I have ever heard the term "indicated anchorage".

Anchorages shown on charts aren't necessarily "special" so lights and shapes are required...even in many mooring fields.

For years I've posted that "general anchorages" require anchor lights and day shapes. Only "special anchorages" (as in Richardson Bay in the San Francisco estuary) may exempt the requirement. :banghead::banghead:

In the US if it is labeled "Special Anchorage" that is what indicates it doesn’t require lights or day shape. This is not a global truth.

I'm gonna get one.

In the US if it is labeled "Special Anchorage" that is what indicates it doesn’t require lights or day shape. This is not a global truth.

So you agree the term is special anchorage not "indicated" anchorage.

In the middle of the 18 day cruise. This thread made me think about ever seeing a black ball on bow of a boat, let alone at anchor, Nope. So I am now looking, still none spotted. But this is Canada and we are rebels, so maybe no one here uses one.

BTW, at anchor in small 4 boat location I put on anchor light first night, next night notice no one has it on, third night mine is off too. Of course this was a designated anchorage without through traffic.

I...

BTW, at anchor in small 4 boat location I put on anchor light first night, next night notice no one has it on, third night mine is off too. Of course this was a designated anchorage without through traffic.

Boats mostly long-term, absent-crewed anchor outs, mostly sailboats?

My motivation is living in these here litigious United States. The $16 ball from Amazon doesn’t meet the regs (0.6m) so I opted for the black beach ball (haha). Cheap and 28” in diameter, easy to store. I had never considered an anchor day signal before this thread but with the San Juans being sooo crowded and anchoring more often a given, I want to minimize my potential liability should “an incident” occur.

So you agree the term is special anchorage not "indicated" anchorage.

In the US the name for them is Special Anchorage (Upper Case Proper noun), yes. This is not the only phrase globally that indicates you don’t need to do the light and ball. Do you not understand there is more to the world available to boating than just US waters, and that the US does not dictate global nomenclature?

My motivation is living in these here litigious United States. The $16 ball from Amazon doesn’t meet the regs (0.6m) so I opted for the black beach ball (haha). Cheap and 28” in diameter, easy to store. I had never considered an anchor day signal before this thread but with the San Juans being sooo crowded and anchoring more often a given, I want to minimize my potential liability should “an incident” occur.

Back in the late 80s when Someone new would move into the Rock n Roll Anchorage in SD without an ball, we’d send them to get a Coors Party ball, help them drink it, paint it black, and give it to them to hang as their anchor ball. The Coors party anchor ball was never questioned by law enforcement, and they were sticklers for balls and lights.

I've been watching boat anchor over the past week or two keeping an eye out for this. I suspect a lot of people say nobody uses an anchor ball because they are never looking for one, so don't notice them.

Anyway, when the CG anchors, they display the ball. But interestingly they just installed a permanent mooring and used it for the first time, and no anchor ball when on the mooring.

There is a largish (over 20m) commercial boat on a mooring, and it displays a ball. In fact, every boat thats required or likely has a licensed captain displays a ball.

Also probably 50% or more of the larger (say 15m and up) pleasure cruising boats display a ball.

Other than the one commercial boat, none of the boats on permanent mooring display balls.

In the US the name for them is Special Anchorage (Upper Case Proper noun), yes. This is not the only phrase globally that indicates you don’t need to do the light and ball. Do you not understand there is more to the world available to boating than just US waters, and that the US does not dictate global nomenclature?

Yes .....but I just wasn't understanding your wording....

And making sure those less worldly and in the US knew the difference between a place where boats anchor (anchorage as labeled in cruising guides or "anchorage" or "general anchoage" as seen on US charts know that ball and light are required.

I hesitated to buy one that’s not the 0.6m size, do you think the 13.8” size is adequate visually for your 42 ?
I think the day shape size is probable determined in accordance with the anchor light being visible at 2 miles.
I don’t amazon but as mentioned defender sells one the same size.

Mine arrived today. Seems to be well built. About $22.

Lalizas Anchor Signal Ball, Black

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYS1R7V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
16" black beachball from Amazon. $3, plus some duck tape:thumb:

I think the 0.6m anchor ball size is sufficient. It's hard to miss a 47 ft LOA trawler with a sundeck visually and the black ball should stand out OK. Now I just have to figure out where I can mount it that is easily accessible and visually prominent.

I find it interesting the regulations use the term “commensurate” which connotes an imprecise measure of latitude in its application. If they had instead used “proportional” that would require the strict application of a direct ratio. Therefore, I don’t think one would necessarily be in violation if they had an approximately 40’ boat with an approximately 12” ball.

Caphenning, what size anchored day shape on large ocean going vessels ? I would think the 0.6m roughly 24” ball wouldn’t be very visible.

I use this 13.8” one on Sylphide:

Lalizas Anchor Signal Ball, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYS1R7V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iozjFb6FGA2XY

I fly it from a halyard which is about 2/3 of the boat’s length from the bow. Dunno if it’s technically the ‘correct size’ but it’s big enough to be seen at a distance by anyone who knows to look for it. Good enough for me.

Caphenning, what size anchored day shape on large ocean going vessels ? I would think the 0.6m roughly 24” ball wouldn’t be very visible.

It’s plenty visible really and is what is pretty much sold and used everywhere. Larger and it starts getting hazardous to handle in windy conditions. Vessels less than 20M are authorized to use smaller.

Here’s our day shape. We use it at every anchorage. A balloon that’s roughly 12” in diameter hung from the highest point. Does is comply with CG requirements? Nope, probably not but it’s better than not flying a day shape at all! Plus a bag of 100 fits in your hand and only cost $5!
IMG_6552.JPGAdjustments.jpg

Koliver writes: Here in Canada, any vessel under 12m is exempt anyway.

Here is what I found:

Anchored Vessels
Vessels that are at anchor and are less than 50 metres long must exhibit, depending on the time of day and visibility, an all-round white light or one ball where it can best be seen (see Figure 9-7).

Vessels less than 7 metres long are not required to exhibit anchor lights or shapes when anchored – unless in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or where other vessels normally pass.

I reapropriated (with a can of blk spray paint) a tear drop bouy that floated up and wouldnt hold air.

My biggest problem is remembering to take the damn thing down when underway. Sure I'm extra "by the book" at anchor, but it seems way worse a risk to be underway with it forgetfully displayed, than anchored without it.

Here’s our day shape. We use it at every anchorage. A balloon that’s roughly 12” in diameter hung from the highest point. Does is comply with CG requirements? Nope, probably not but it’s better than not flying a day shape at all! Plus a bag of 100 fits in your hand and only cost $5!
View attachment 105792View attachment 105793

Yes it does, you are less than 20M therefore can run a reduced sized shape per regulation.

Day shapes are black in color ....the size of the ball is not less than 0.6 metres (2.0 ft). The vertical distance between shapes is at least 1.5 metres (4.9 ft). Vessels of less than 20 metres (66 ft) length may use shapes of smaller size commensurate with the size of the vessel.

How about just using a black ball fender strategically located while at anchor?

That's what I have been using for years ( found a lost regular, one spray painted black) just ordered a black 24 " beach ball that doesn't need painting.

Back in post #61 someone was using one too.

Last edited:
We have never displayed an anchor ball. We will in the future. I will use my brilliant idea andmput out our large ball fender. It is midnight blue, good enough I think but a black beach ball would work quite well.
That's what I have been using for years ( found a lost regular, one spray painted black) just ordered a black 24 " beach ball that doesn't need painting.

Back in post #61 someone was using one too.

Back
Top Bottom