Columbia River Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I appreciate all the comments on this thread. Certainly the recommendations on the importance of timing with tides and weather were valuable.

My original intent however was to talk about the boats. Most of the commenters have been people who made the trip in big bluewater boats, sailboats, or boats that do 10+ knots. While of course there are many similarities in what it takes to plan and execute the voyage safely, there are also unique characteristics of CHB-class trawlers that create their own challenges: the squared stern, the small rudder, the typically dated electronics, the non-watertight doors, and the <10knot max speed.

What I have found is that not many CHB’ers make this trip (transiting between the Puget Sound and the Columbia River). For that I am proud to be able to say I’ve done it, and the boat took it like a champ. I’ll continue to look for opportunities to discuss how these old and limited boats are still none-the-less built for true coastal cruising, even out on the open Pacific.

I have about 20,000 miles on my Albin 40....the hull look almost identical with the CHB in your avatar.

The difference in true bluewater boats and coastal cruisers is not when everything goes right, it's when something goes terribly wrong.

So keep planning well and with luck, many long coastal trips are certainly doable.

This is true. However, there are derelict pots that will ruin your run. There is a "so called" pot free zone from Cape Flattery to San Diego. Not sure if I have found it yet.

Gotta love those pot buoys that have been out there so long they've turned nearly black and are almost impossible to spot.

I used to have the co-ordinates for the "pot free" zone. Actually it was an agreement worked out between the crabbers and the towing industry. Turns out too many of the crabbers didn't observe the observe the agreement so it was useless.

Yep, I found the exact same. Lots of pots 10-15nm out, but didn’t see any more once fathoms dropped past about 100. 20nm out is a pretty safe distance.

I don't set my course by dist off shore. I do it by choosing track lines that stay out past 100 fm with out too much zig / zagging. 20 nm often isn't enough.

Gotta love those pot buoys that have been out there so long they've turned nearly black and are almost impossible to spot.

LOL Very True. Once you get get close to Cape Flattery the natives has their pots out and the floats are all BLACK!!!! Yep black. They do have all the pots in a straight line, so you can go around the string.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom