Modification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LongStoryGB36

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Long Story
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36' Classic
We have a pretty pristine 1977 Grand Banks 36 Classic. We have the split bed layout in the master cabin and I have seen photos and sketches of some nice changes to enlarge that bed and move storage to the area of the single.

My question; if the work is done high quality, will the modification hurt, help, or have no effect in the resale value?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Russ

If done equal to original in material, fit, and finish it would make sense.

Might contact GB factory and get drawing to do it.

GB still has most original boat drawings, and will build some interior items. We have not priced their work, or the freight costs.

At the minimum they could give you the drawings.

It can go either way. It doesn’t really affect the cash value if done well, what changes is desire ability, and it can go either way depending on the buyer’s use case. In the end, I wouldn’t let that be the deciding factor. Make it the way it gives you the most value for your use; because in the end that is where you get your money’s worth out of a boat, in the pleasure.

As a rule of thumb, customizing (done well) is something you do for your own pleasure or need. It rarely pays for itself when selling. It shouldn't change the appeal of your boat. Some people like separate bunks some don't. Also, the age and general condition of your boat is a bigger factor.

I had two very talented wood butchers from the North Carolina boat building trades modify our GB42 both at the lower helm where I did most conning, and in the aft cabin. We placed a two-person "pilot bench" at the lower helm and moved the liquor locker which it displaced to the aft cabin as a secretary. The aft cabin was gutted, and the twin bunk sides were incorporated into a full sized athwartship bed which occupied the aft stbd corner of the stateroom. The dresser drawer set was cut down by one drawer and moved to the fwd port side of the stateroom alongside the liquor locker/secretary. With the wife sleeping on the aft bulkhead side up close to the bulkhead with no danger of rolling out, there was plenty of room left for me on the forward side of the bed. Boat sold in one week from the time my private wed page went up at 97% of my asking price. I think these mods made the boat the way it should have been built in the first place. Total cost in early 2000s dollars, 8 grand.

Attachments

• helm seat from rear lo res.jpg
    helm seat from rear lo res.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00144 (FILEminimizer).JPG
    DSC00144 (FILEminimizer).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC00137.jpg
    DSC00137.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 47
If done equal to original in material, fit, and finish it would make sense.

Might contact GB factory and get drawing to do it.

GB still has most original boat drawings, and will build some interior items. We have not priced their work, or the freight costs.

At the minimum they could give you the drawings.

Thank you for the response. Could you direct me to where within Grand Banks I would start making contacts to secure build drawings? That would help greatly in a number of my projects?

Russ

It can go either way. It doesn’t really affect the cash value if done well, what changes is desire ability, and it can go either way depending on the buyer’s use case. In the end, I wouldn’t let that be the deciding factor. Make it the way it gives you the most value for your use; because in the end that is where you get your money’s worth out of a boat, in the pleasure.

Good point!

As a rule of thumb, customizing (done well) is something you do for your own pleasure or need. It rarely pays for itself when selling. It shouldn't change the appeal of your boat. Some people like separate bunks some don't. Also, the age and general condition of your boat is a bigger factor.

As above good point and thanks for the input!

I had two very talented wood butchers from the North Carolina boat building trades modify our GB42 both at the lower helm where I did most conning, and in the aft cabin. We placed a two-person "pilot bench" at the lower helm and moved the liquor locker which it displaced to the aft cabin as a secretary. The aft cabin was gutted, and the twin bunk sides were incorporated into a full sized athwartship bed which occupied the aft stbd corner of the stateroom. The dresser drawer set was cut down by one drawer and moved to the fwd port side of the stateroom alongside the liquor locker/secretary. With the wife sleeping on the aft bulkhead side up close to the bulkhead with no danger of rolling out, there was plenty of room left for me on the forward side of the bed. Boat sold in one week from the time my private wed page went up at 97% of my asking price. I think these mods made the boat the way it should have been built in the first place. Total cost in early 2000s dollars, 8 grand.

Pretty interesting and extensive modification... did you have more photos you could send me directly or post?

Thank you

Nice modifications and some awesome woodwork there.

www.grandbanks.com is their site. Under the heading of "About" there's a pull down menu with a Contact Us link. tel:+1-877-291-4220. Let us know how it goes.

With the wife sleeping on the aft bulkhead side up close to the bulkhead with no danger of rolling out, there was plenty of room left for me on the forward side of the bed.

Is it safe to assume your wife doesn't need to get up in the middle of the night to use the head, or does she crawl over you or the end of the bed? Any boat with this bed configuration is pretty much removed from my list of potential candidates.

Is it safe to assume your wife doesn't need to get up in the middle of the night to use the head, or does she crawl over you or the end of the bed? Any boat with this bed configuration is pretty much removed from my list of potential candidates.

She NEVER gets up in the night; so it was perfect for us. We slept with our feet to the stbd side of the boat with the head of the bed a bit over the centerline such that should it ever have been an issue, she could have exited the bed over her pillow to the area between the head of the bed and the secretary on the port side.

Back
Top Bottom