Boat name survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducatihottie

Can you help us with a boat name, the title company wants it by Monday? Please pick your favorites below. Also tell me what you'd re-name your boat if you could do it over again..... so I can steal it:)

If you dislike all of mine, let me know that as well.

KRAKEN, (Seattle's new hockey Team's name. Maybe I can make some tourist dollars off hockey fans some day)?

A Shakey Reed.

Twisting Breeze

Naranda, (a mythical undersea kingdom of mermaids. Korean).

Twilight Tide

Tides of Twilight

AMPHIBIOUS ALIEN

Lí Ban' (half-woman, half-salmon mermaid. Pretty good for the salmon life here in the PNW)

VA BENE. (Ok)

NEREIDES, (Greek mythology, the Nereids are female spirits of sea waters. They symbolized everything that is beautiful and kind about the sea. They were part of Poseidon's entourage and carried his trident).

OR WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE?

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I don't think this is really something you want to do in a rush. If you haven't already, check how difficult it is to do a title/document change if you give them the existing name (or temporary name) now and change it later.

We took about a month. Our spreadsheet had about 5000 potential names and then a "short" list about 50.

Do consider giving some weight to having a name that's easy to communicate via VHF radio with the expectation that others will clearly understand what you said. (I'm thinking of distress/rescue situations). I think this is something we didn’t do such a good job with.

P.S. One I've always been amused by, and it's probably a bit of a cliche, is "Cash Flow"

Last edited:
Right on Scott. They made it sound like they needed it, but I guess they don't???

This is our short list from about 50 names. And several of those are my wife's favorite, (which I like as well).

I was thinking of naming it "Popcorn" after my dog. But not sure if I'll feel happy or sad when he passes away?

Last edited:
You do not want to have to change it if it will be documented. It will cost a fee and take forever to get it back. Pick a name now if documented and stick with it. Think how the name will sound over the VHF. Will it be understandable? In an emergency you want a name that people can easily understand. Good luck.

Psneeld. Period of my life? I made the xtra money to buy this boat while working for this Covid mess. I thought, "Social Distancing ". But I'm not sure I want a reminder of this.

Speaking of wives, I did get to change my name after I was re-married. I was born without a middle name.

Last edited:
For sure don’t name it after the dog...for just the reason you mention!

I took my post down since someone could not control their despicable urge to respond based on zero knowledge of my personal life. It was slightly personal for the reason that so is naming a boat and I though it might help put things in perspective.

Last edited:
Sorry. I've always wondered what, "Psneeld" meant. Then searched and found you on all types of leisure craft forum's. You're living the good life! Thanks.

Last edited:
No comment on your choices.

Make the name easily pronounced so that people can hail you when passing.

Avoid words that most people don't know the meaning of. Avoid words that people may take offense to.

Ted

Thanks ted. I agree with the words no one's heard of. So that narrows my list down.

Naranda out

NEREIDES out

"Hail me when passing"? Shouldn't I make it difficult if I need to out run the coast guard? My boats quite fast at around 8 knots. :)

Last edited:
Don't give an 11 year old naming rights (our boat was named Shy Platypus)

Consider phonetic pronunciation over VHF when hailing bridge. With unfamiliar names like Neraides (sp?) you may need to do it two times or more ("skipper, was that India-Alpha-Delta-Echo-Sierra?").

Cute names wear thin pretty quickly. Disgraced Robert Maxwell named his yacht after his daughter. He's long gone. Pretty sure the name is too - the yachts name was "Ghislaine"

I like “Or what’s your favorite” that would look good on a transom or hat.
You knew someone would say this.

I hope this gives you a chuckle

Can you help us with a boat name, the title company wants it by Monday? Please pick your favorites below. Also tell me what you'd re-name your boat if you could do it over again..... so I can steal it:)

If you dislike all of mine, let me know that as well.

KRAKEN, (Seattle's new hockey Team's name. Maybe I can make some tourist dollars off hockey fans some day)?

A Shakey Reed.

Twisting Breeze

Naranda, (a mythical undersea kingdom of mermaids. Korean).

Twilight Tide

Tides of Twilight

AMPHIBIOUS ALIEN

Lí Ban' (half-woman, half-salmon mermaid. Pretty good for the salmon life here in the PNW)

VA BENE. (Ok)

NEREIDES, (Greek mythology, the Nereids are female spirits of sea waters. They symbolized everything that is beautiful and kind about the sea. They were part of Poseidon's entourage and carried his trident).

OR WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE?

One tradition is to name it after your favorite bird. I wouldn’t do Naranda, that’s asking for it to go to the bottom.

Easy to read; easy to pronounce.:thumb:
French names in script lettering are some of the worst! :confused:

If I had a boat, I'd name her, "Just Right."

Transient boat on my dock today named "Cynful". I'm sure they thought it was cute. If I had a faster boat, they could change the name to "Just Got Waked".

Ted

VA Bene. Is out. Thanks

My wife's favorite is "A Shakey Reed". She's Asian and remembers the reeds and bamboo swaying. But it might be to tricky to pronounce?

Can anyone find a name representing this memory of hers? Reeds & bamboo are somewhat water and "summery" feeling?

I like Kraken, Twisting Breeze, twilight Tide and Tides of Twilight.

Anyone think I can make money off "Kraken" from true hockey fans? Maybe a cruise before or after the games? I know... that's way down the road. But Kraken is kind of cool.

"Release The Kraken"?

Last edited:
One thing to remember, every time you call a bridge, you are going to have to call it out for the bridge tender, sometimes to write down.

VA Bene. Is out. Thanks

My wife's favorite is "A Shakey Reed". She's Asian and remembers the reeds and bamboo swaying. But it might be to tricky to pronounce?

Can anyone find a name representing this memory of hers? Reeds & bamboo are somewhat water and "summery" feeling?

Anyone think I can make money off "Kraken" from true hockey fans? Maybe a cruise before or after the games? I know... that's way down the road. But Kraken is kind of cool.

"Release The Kraken"?
Wife's first name and middle initial?

My favorite name for a race horse was "Hoof Hearted." Say it a couple times fast out-loud and I think you'll understand.

VA Bene. Is out. Thanks

"Release The Kraken"?
I would leave off the "A" and do "Shakey Reed"

Your right. Two words flow together better and will sit better if I have to put one word above the other.

I would rather a one or two word name due to clarity but since you want a reference to reeds how about this:

Heed The Call

From The Wind In The Willows:

Take the adventure, heed the call, now ere the irrevocable moment passes! 'Tis but a banging of the door behind you, a blithesome step forward, and you are out of your old life and into the new!

My father told Mom that he named the first boat after our dog, "Barney". When she walked down the dock to see it after purchase, it said "Hoofer", a nickname I bestowed on her when I was a teen. She received lots of comments about her dancing abilities. That is not where the nickname came from.

Dad named the second boat, "Fair Lady", again after my Mom. She played the lead role in a local Musical. He had considered "Frigit", having recently retired, and "Afterburner" from his fighter pilot days.

I am strongly considering naming my next boat, "Sanctity" and the T-shirts will read "Sanctity What happens on the boat, stays on the boat" My brother and I backpack together and often declare sanctity of the campfire when talking personal stories.

Dad definitely did the VHF radio check with Fair Lady. I am concerned Sanctity is one too many vowels.

Last edited:
I like the Tide & Twilight names but I fear they are to long for your boat. Also a bit hard to say 3 times on the radio when making a call. Kraken is going to be trendy, that’s the only name I would avoid.

I dunno. A good name for a boat harmonizes with the boat, not the owner. There's a historic Tug along the San Francisco waterfront from the 1800s named Hercules. Great name for a Tug. Strong, capable. An early America's Cup J-Class named Endeavor or Resolute. When they say it's bad luck to rename a boat, that only applies when the original name captured the soul of the boat vs the owner.

My Willard 36 was originally named Taras (not Taurus, though that's a good name for a stout boat). I didn't know that at the time or I may have reverted to the original name (vs Shy Platypus, the name when I acquired). Being a round bottomed boat that will rock but not rollover, I felt "Weebles" was a natural. During my refit, I considered reverting to Taras but decided to stay with Weebles - the electrical panels are engraved.

At any rate, I would look for the boat to make herself. The name should fit her, not the owners.

Good luck with whatever name you chose.

Peter

"Heed The Call" is beautiful! But now I like "Wind In The Willows". But to long. Sanctity sounds saintly.

I love weebles too and that perfectly fits your boat.

I agree, the name should fit the boat. Don't most of us have Trawlers here? What's a good Trawler name, (an no I don't fish much).

Last edited:
Edited it, thanks. Maybe I'll name it, "let her rip"? Kinda nautical like, "hoist the sails"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom