Can you add to my shopping list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mncruiser

Vessel Name
Phoenix
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Our Express Cruiser (Monterey 302) is 99% sold..Yay! We've started looking for the next boat, and I'm finding my list pretty short. Quick details:

-Family of four, two kids 8 and 6
- Will be boating on Lake Superior out of Bayfield, Wisconsin
- Currently Mississippi/ St. Croix river boaters, but I grew up sailing on Superior

I think I want a flybridge, and finding myself leaning towards the smaller end of them. Do you have some other ideas? My wife wants comfy seating she can be in the sun if desired. I'm not interested in another Express Cruiser. I want windows! We spend lots of time outside. I'm also leaning away from Aft cabins. Interior space is nice, but like the outdoor space more. Anyway, here is my short list....really looking to see if I've missed some segment or boat. I've read the 2000 page Powerboat Guide a few times...but maybe I'm missing something?

Bayliner 3388/3488
Bayliner 3788/3988
Meridian 341
Meridian 381
Carver 33/35 Super Sport
Carver 370/374 Voyager
Catalina Islander 34 (weird right? I didn't know it existed either!)
Sink Ray 36 Sedan Bridge
Sink Ray 370 Sedan Bridge
Silverton 33 Convertible (may be too small)
Silverton 34 Convertible (internet pics make me think this is #1 on my list)
Silverton 36 Convertible
Silverton 362 Sedan Cruiser or 37 Convertible

I had a lower helm preference, but I've dropped that as it seems to be unobtanium. And I'm looking at gassers (I know..gasp don't drop your coffee) and would prefer a diesel, but again...reality. I'm also leaning towards 1998 or newer. BUT....for the right older boat I could totally be up to ruin my life (haha) and make it ship shape.

Thank you for your advice. You all here are my favorite boating people on the interwebs! :thumb:

Last edited:
Bayfield is such a beautiful place to boat or to call home.

You should really consider a trawler. Within a few hours at trawler speed you can be in Corni, Port Wing, Duluth, Ashland and everything between. You can have your diesel, flybridge, extra space. Everything except that 20+ mph ( and the associated 1 gl per mile)

pete

Bayfield is such a beautiful place to boat or to call home.

You should really consider a trawler. Within a few hours at trawler speed you can be in Corni, Port Wing, Duluth, Ashland and everything between. You can have your diesel, flybridge, extra space. Everything except that 20+ mph ( and the associated 1 gl per mile)

pete

Hey Pete. I know I should. Thank you.

My big hang up is the speed. Right now I cruise at about 31 mph and have gotten used to it.

I think we are about to have that conversation about speed and how much I really need. Growing up sailing was fun, but it also took you all day sometimes to get somewhere. But I know there is beauty in that as well. And unlike the blow boat, I don’t have to tack all over.

Maybe a slower big boat, and a more sizable tender for those fast forays?

What I need to do is crunch some real numbers for things like trips to Isle Royale and compare.

That is what brought me here, trawlers. But been hung up on speed.

I'm in just about the same boat as you with respect to family and requirements. I have a 5 and 7 year old. I own a 1989 40' Tollycraft Sport Sedan. We absolutely love it. It checks off all the boxes of your requirements.

My model has a "tournament style" bridge which offers perfect views of the big cockpit, plus puts the kids in a big bench seat in front of me where I can keep my eye on them. The cockpit is spacious (15' beam) and we spend a lot of time sitting there in the sun. Our model has a bunk room for the kids which they love. I have twin diesels and can run at 30kts if needed. I'm not retired so often our cruising time is limited and we just need to get to where we're going. I primarily cruise around 12-15kts, but having reserve speed is nice. I carry 500 gallons of fuel and at slower speeds I have great range (600nm+ with ample reserve).

Tolly's are very stout well-built boats. I see a 40 Sport Sedan for sale in Michigan on Yachtworld. It doesn't have the tournament style bridge or diesels, but you'd at least get an idea of the boat.

I should further add that my boat was completely turnkey when I bought it. The previous owner spent a mint with wood floors and teak in the cockpit (in addition to repowering). Even though she's a 1989, she looks new and required no major refit on my part. So while I understand your desire for a "newer" boat, there are some older ones out there that wouldn't require major work. You just need to wait for the right boat.

Last edited:
I'm in just about the same boat as you with respect to family and requirements. I have a 5 and 7 year old. I own a 1989 40' Tollycraft Sport Sedan. We absolutely love it. It checks off all the boxes of your requirements.

My model has a "tournament style" bridge which offers perfect views of the big cockpit, plus puts the kids in a big bench seat in front of me where I can keep my eye on them. The cockpit is spacious (15' beam) and we spend a lot of time sitting there in the sun. Our model has a bunk room for the kids which they love. I have twin diesels and can run at 30kts if needed. I'm not retired so often our cruising time is limited and we just need to get to where we're going. I primarily cruise around 12-15kts, but having reserve speed is nice. I carry 500 gallons of fuel and at slower speeds I have great range (600nm+ with ample reserve).

Tolly's are very stout well-built boats. I see a 40 Sport Sedan for sale in Michigan on Yachtworld. It doesn't have the tournament style bridge or diesels, but you'd at least get an idea of the boat.

Tollys, Vikings, Egg Harbors, not sure what your price point is but all will check the box. Silverton's are also a very nice choice.

Our Express Cruiser (Monterey 302) is 99% sold..Yay! We've started looking for the next boat, and I'm finding my list pretty short. Quick details:

-Family of four, two kids 8 and 6
- Will be boating on Lake Superior out of Bayfield, Wisconsin
- Currently Mississippi/ St. Croix river boaters, but I grew up sailing on Superior

I think I want a flybridge, and finding myself leaning towards the smaller end of them. Do you have some other ideas? My wife wants comfy seating she can be in the sun if desired. I'm not interested in another Express Cruiser. I want windows! We spend lots of time outside. I'm also leaning away from Aft cabins. Interior space is nice, but like the outdoor space more. Anyway, here is my short list....really looking to see if I've missed some segment or boat. I've read the 2000 page Powerboat Guide a few times...but maybe I'm missing something?

Bayliner 3388/3488
Bayliner 3788/3988
Meridian 341
Meridian 381
Carver 33/35 Super Sport
Carver 370/374 Voyager
Catalina Islander 34 (weird right? I didn't know it existed either!)
Sink Ray 36 Sedan Bridge
Sink Ray 370 Sedan Bridge
Silverton 36 Convertible

I had a lower helm preference, but I've dropped that as it seems to be unobtanium. And I'm looking at gassers (I know..gasp don't drop your coffee) and would prefer a diesel, but again...reality. I'm also leaning towards 1998 or newer. BUT....for the right older boat I could totally be up to ruin my life (haha) and make it ship shape.

Thank you for your advice. You all here are my favorite boating people on the interwebs! :thumb:

HI. Great question and it looks like you are on the right track. 6 years ago I was where you are and i bought the perfect boat for my wife and I and our boys 10 and 5. Fast forward 6 years and our boys are too big for our 37ft NT. The 16 year old man-sprawls on the settee and takes up the entire main salon -no room for my wife and i anymore! They have shared the guest cabin for years, but its pretty cramped in there and disorganized due to the small space lack of storage. Them growing physically larger along with them having more guests along has led us to look for a larger vessel with more storage space and a larger refer. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm just letting you know that your needs may be different in 5 years or so and you may have the option of shopping for the future as well.

As far as speed goes, if you are a weekender, that explains the speed. I would suggest you dont get over it and keep it on your short list. I used the speed on our NT when i needed it and NEVER minded that I was burning more fuel. That allowed me to go more places that were farther away with less headaches and I got to work on Monday on time and rested.

Last edited:
For weekends and other time-limited trips, having some speed on tap is certainly nice. If you don't need 30 kts and are ok with a fast cruise in the 15 - 20 kt range, that gives plenty of options, as you've found.

As far as leaning away from aft cabins, is there any particular reason? If you want a cockpit, that makes sense, as the size range you're looking at is a bit too small to get both.

For weekends and other time-limited trips, having some speed on tap is certainly nice. If you don't need 30 kts and are ok with a fast cruise in the 15 - 20 kt range, that gives plenty of options, as you've found.

As far as leaning away from aft cabins, is there any particular reason? If you want a cockpit, that makes sense, as the size range you're looking at is a bit too small to get both.

One thing we love about our former express cruiser is how close we are to the water for different activities . Also it’s attractive to get on a boat and not have to go up a level. Cockpit to main living area is generally on the same level.

We also plan to haul kayaks, use a dinghy, haul bicycles around from port to port on a longer trip. That all seems much easier with a cockpit.

Also, as BDofMSP so wisely pointed out to me, aft cabins keep you out of the action. Back into a slip, you sit out and are up and away from everyone on top of your aft cabin. Sit in your cockpit and you can be social with everyone. I never really noticed this, but then thought about it, most people in my marina I hang out with do not have aft cabins. Usually you meet them on or around your boat, and strike up a conversation.

Our main outdoor space is on top of the aft cabin and I've never found it to be a social concern. Slightly more distant than a cockpit, being that we're up higher, but it's never been enough to prevent interacting with someone that's on the dock. Having a full enclosure would definitely cause an issue there, however. So it's probably somewhat boat dependent.

Having a cockpit for bikes, etc. definitely makes sense though. I can't think of any good place for stuff like that on my boat. On the aft deck would work, but then it's slightly in the way.

Silverton 36 Convertible

Assuming you're talking most recent models... approx 2004-ish or newer... The 34 and the newer 36 are essentially the same boat, just with some minor interior redesign. If you home in on those, one or the other may suit you better...

-Chris

What about Back Cove, and their bigger brother Sabre? American made too
Back Cove are single engine diesels usually with conventional drives, where Sabre has switched to pod drive duals. Some have flybridges, if you feel the need. Both have speeds up where you seem to like to run. Or they can back it off to 12 kts and sip the fuel.

Dude!! That's a lot of boats!

How will you maintain all of those? Will you have time to run them each enough for the engines to stay in good shape?

I hesitate to make your "shopping list" any longer......:D;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom