Moving up. Boat #2. Round 1.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bligh

Guru
Vessel Name
Concerto
Vessel Make
1980 Cheoy Lee
We are now in contract on a sistership of the boat we declined a couple weeks ago. This boat is older but has had a major refit within the last decade.. Some of the wow factor is lost as there is no bow crane or stabilizers. But this boat is much more modern in all systems. Its not perfect, but I'm sure I'm not buying a boat with multiple 35 year old systems nearing the ends of their lifespans. Survey scheduled in 2 weeks.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/cheoy-lee-ketch-3656943/

We are now in contract on a sistership of the boat we declined a couple weeks ago. This boat is older but has had a major refit within the last decade.. Some of the wow factor is lost as there is no bow crane or stabilizers. But this boat is much more modern in all systems. Its not perfect, but I'm sure I'm not buying a boat with multiple 35 year old systems nearing the ends of their lifespans. Survey scheduled in 2 weeks.

Still plenty of WoW....maybe more.
Nice recovery. May her decks be dry!

So glad you were able to get a "second chance". She is very nice. The good news is more room on the bow and no old stabilizer to repair.

So glad you were able to get a "second chance". She is very nice. The good news is more room on the bow and no old stabilizer to repair.

Thanks. We are crossing our fingers. I suppose we can add stabs later if we wish.

Yes, you may find she's great without. A beautiful, well equipped motorsailer, like this, is on my top ten fantasy list. An engine room so clean it even has a refrigerator!

Those are nice boats. Now you mention stabilizers, are you planning to sail or motor? If you are planning to motor, those are really Rolly Polly boats, if you plan to sail they are only kinda rolly polly, more wish washy, in a seaway. Very comfortable appointment wise though.

If you want to motor, best to get a gyro stabilizer and take off a bit of keel, or lose the rig altogether, add some more power, and get rid of most or all the keel in trade for a big gyro, or a small gyro and a pair of small fins.

Your stabilizers are 40 ft tall but you have two strong sons to "hoist them sails!"

She's a real looker!

Beautiful boat!!!! As has been said....who needs stabilizers when you have sails???? Man, what a beautiful boat!!

Looks great, sorry #1 didn’t work but this one looks great!

Thanks for taking us along. Would LOVE a big trawlersailor...

:popcorn:

The last one we sea trialed rode like it was on rails with the stabilizers engaged and the sails up. It was pretty impressive and not rolly polly at all. But rolly polly is a perfect description of that hull design. Im going to use that..
Those are nice boats. Now you mention stabilizers, are you planning to sail or motor? If you are planning to motor, those are really Rolly Polly boats, if you plan to sail they are only kinda rolly polly, more wish washy, in a seaway. Very comfortable appointment wise though.

If you want to motor, best to get a gyro stabilizer and take off a bit of keel, or lose the rig altogether, add some more power, and get rid of most or all the keel in trade for a big gyro, or a small gyro and a pair of small fins.

Congrats Bligh. Really relieved to see you're finally getting out of that sinking last boat you had. Well in the avatar it looks like it's sinking, anyway. You've certainly got yourself a real passagemaker there. :thumb::D

However, going from power back to sail...interesting. Still, it does sort of resonate with the name, as Captain Bligh never had an engine in his boat. Although one would have been decidedly handy on the stern of the tender he was set adrift in by that chap Fletcher C.

Take home message...be nice to your crew..! :flowers:

Last edited:
Still plenty of WoW....maybe more.
Nice recovery. May her decks be dry!

I agree! If that ship pulled into my anchorage, I'd wear my binoculars right out. Best of luck!

That is one beautiful boat. No questions asked!

Well maybe one question. Although I have seen it often in motorsailers I always question why they have twin engines? I think a single 6 would do fine.

Buy it

pete

She looks absolutely stunning.

1600 gallons of fuel, twin 120s, and sails, you can go anywhere in the world.

Good luck with the surveys and purchase.

BTW, it doesn't say - what does she draw?

Well maybe one question. Although I have seen it often in motorsailers I always question why they have twin engines? I think a single 6 would do fine.

pete

That is a good question. I dont really know. I'm sure others here can speak more authoritatively than I.

I do know the hull was build to accept twins or a single engine.

One reason that comes to mind is maneuverability. -Thrusters were not a thing back then on yachts IIRC.

Maybe there are other reasons, ...

I would imagine at 66,800 displacement. It's an engineering decision to go with two smaller well respected naturally aspirated engines. I like it.

San Diego to Santa Cruz would be a good voyage to decide if stabilizer fins are in your future. As you said also a good negotiating/comparison point from the previous one.

That’s one beautiful boat with tons of space and really nice woodwork and finish. Hope all goes well.

I can’t quit looking. 1,600 gallon fuel WOW!

That is one beautiful boat. No questions asked!

Buy it

pete

Normall on a sailboat, the engine is referred to as an "auxilliary". I don't think that is the case with a motorsailer(semantics here). IOW, the backup solution to sailboat propulsion is to fire up the engine. Or it could be the other way around. But a motorasiler doesn't sail very well.....sooooo they put in an "auxilliary to the auxilliary"!!!!....;) :hide::hide::hide:

I would imagine at 66,800 displacement. It's an engineering decision to go with two smaller well respected naturally aspirated engines. I like it.
Me too. There may be times where you might choose to run on one motor while sailing. Plus much better maneuverability dockside.

I think the availability of the sails makes stabilizers superfluous. That boat will have a comfortable cruise speed that will provide enough relative wind velocity that even in calm air the sail will provide stability and a fraction of propulsion. Unless of course you have an 8 knot tail wind.

I think the availability of the sails makes stabilizers superfluous. That boat will have a comfortable cruise speed that will provide enough relative wind velocity that even in calm air the sail will provide stability and a fraction of propulsion. Unless of course you have an 8 knot tail wind.

When Bligh comes to San Diego (my home town) to survey and sea trial the boat in a week or so, I'm confident he'll tell us about the feel of no stabilizers. I'm looking forward to hearing about the whole boat experience. Vicariously buying my dream boat!

We won't be sea trialing in open water so I may not get the full experience.
When Bligh comes to San Diego (my home town) to survey and sea trial the boat in a week or so, I'm confident he'll tell us about the feel of no stabilizers. I'm looking forward to hearing about the whole boat experience. Vicariously buying my dream boat!

SD bay is pretty large to safely run the throttles up. But no rolling seas.

Best of luck! I know the photos were made by someone trying to sell the boat, but she looks gorgeous. I have looked at 15-year old boats that weren't in such great shape. You will be glad for the twins getting in or out of a packed marina on a day with any wind, or current, or both!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom